1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The "New" Epi Les Paul Special Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rallykid, Apr 28, 2006.

1. rallykid

rallykid

Apr 28, 2006
    Davison, MI
    Anyone had a chance to play one of these? I have checked out some of the older models but haven't had a chance to see one of these in person. They don't appear to have the typical LP rounded top and appear quite flat in pictures. I was considering one of these but absolutely no one around me has one in stock. I would have to special order it and if I don't like it I get stuck with a 15% re-stocking fee. :mad: They are pretty cheap ($240) which is a bonus since it would be my first bass in a long time (stopped playing about 12 years ago) but have no clue as to the sound. Anyone help out an old bass player with some info? :bassist:

2. I have been trying to get one for years. I actually have a poster in my place of the Les Paul bass lineup circa 1993. I basicaly (bassicaly)have a hard on for Mahogany, Ebony and Humbuckers.
    For some odd reason none of the dealers I know stocks Gibson basses. Maybe they dont make basses since Gibson bought Tobias? The Epiphone models of Gibson basses are fun, but are usually made of the wrong wood, like alder or basswood or something. They also dont have that neat pickup switch.

The only Les Paul Bass I could find by epiphone is this artist model. Pretty ugly!

Oh wait the Epi website has it, its a set neck Mahogany bass! But with no-name buckers, boring rosewood fretboard and the same old passive volume,volume, tone. I might get one and modify it to have a pickup switch and single volume. $249?

3. The first time i saw an epiphone les paul special bass, it was love at first sight. Unfortunately, i had no money to buy it.
    Good thing, it was my friend's, so i got to play it for a jam session. And then we ended up having a deal so i could buy it.
    Overall, the bass was good to me.
    two humbuckers with volume and tone for each.
    I really don't know how a good bass is supposed to sound like, but for me it was heavenly.
    I got to plug it in a big amp (which, in my country is a very rare privelege. for amplifiers are very expensive taking into consideration that i live in a thirld world country) The sound just blew me away.
    When put in the right setting, you can get almost any sound from it.
    Good for slapping or finger plucking.
    It also has a wide neck compared to all the basses i have played.
    I really don't know if this is the old or the new version, but i can get you pics and sound clips if someone could tell me how to post them.
    It is very hard to earn money in my country so i have to make do with what i can afford. So i really don't know how a good bass is supposed to be like. But for me as of now, it is one of the best bass i have ever played.

4. Minger

Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    For some reason, it reminds me of a crappy Fender Aerodyne copy...

5. rallykid

rallykid

Apr 28, 2006
    Davison, MI
  6. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Well i just played one last night and I have to say, it was love at first sight.... Fast neck, low action and it sounds very warm and not boomy at all like my other Les Paul Special.... I liked it that much that I put it on layby straight away and am planning on selling my sunburst Les Paul.....

The "no-name" pickups as someone said are actually quite good, they are heaps better than the humbuckers in the sunburst les paul and produce a very smooth, even sound....

7. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    Well I finally managed to get rid of my old Sunburst Les Paul Special and pick up my new baby. I have to say this thing is awesome! The neck is super fast and the action feels better than just about any other bass i've ever played!

At first I was worried the pickups might not be able to handle tuning to CGCF as I didnt really have time to test when I first played it but it gives a really consistent tone in no matter what tuning, even drop A!

Highly Recommended!

xxl_bass-guitar-2006-epiphone-les-paul-special-bass2.