1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The New Epiphone Thunderbird Pro basses??

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twdavis13, Sep 30, 2009.

1. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    I havent seen one or heard one, so could people post pics, clips of the thing?? I just havent seen anything other than stock.:hyper:

2. Thunderitter

Thunderitter Bass - the final frontier! Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2007
    USA
    Already a thread here on the Pro including some pics.

3. not to many ppl have them yet. :rolleyes:...still.

4. ShadowRichie

ShadowRichie

Aug 28, 2009
    In my experience the standard thunderbird sounds so much better than the pro version, I personally think active pickups kill the appeal of the thunderbird.

5. twdavis13

twdavis13

Dec 14, 2008
    I always thought the standard Thunderbird was one big huge mudbucket IMO. Someone else said the active pickups add a bit of clarity to the mix. :ninja:

6. $Lindz$

$Lindz$

Oct 27, 2008
    Have you ever played an EB-(anything)?

T Bird is the right mix between EB-mudbucker and Fender bright and clear.

I'll agree that the "standard Epiphone" Thunderbird is a bit muddy, though I just describe it as "empty". It doesn't have that strength to its punch.

The Pros are.... better. For sure. But I just don't think they are worth the money. I guess that is the best way to describe it. If you aren't gonna get a Gibson, I guess the T Bird Pro would be my next choice, though I could argue you should get the standard Epi T Bird and save that extra cash for the Gibson you should have bought.

7. Nothing "muddy" about my Gibson Thunderbird IV bass, it has clarity, punch, and is thunderous, as it should be.

I have no use for a T-bird with active electronics.

8. FastFollow

FastFollow

Jun 13, 2009
    Russia
    Is Tbird-pro IV china-made ?

9. Yes

10. mr.mow

mr.mow

Feb 11, 2009
    Melbourne
    Endorsing Artist: BBE/G&L Basses
    I tried one unplugged the other day.. Had all the resonance of a 2x4 plank.. ****in awful, hollow and thin.. May not be the same with all of them I guess but this one just turned me right off.

11. Completely agree. I had one for a couple of years but got of it because there was just no oomph to it. Other threads have suggested changing the pick ups etc. I just decided that I wasn't investing any cash in a $200 or $300 bass and just moved on. Love the shape of them. Screams rock 'n' roll.

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I tried the Thunderbird Pro IV the other day. Nice sound, nice price, too heavy for me.