the new era of music and bass players

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by sethlow3, Feb 9, 2005.

1. sethlow3

sethlow3 Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Man oh man I have been in oldies land for quite some time now. I love my motown and Zep! I was just curious if any of you cats know about any newer, great bass players in this newer era of music '00-'05. Lay it on me emo, new metal, pop, R&B, rap ect... I want to hear some new stuff with good bass.

So far I have really liked jill scott's bassist and the used's bassist. Any suggestions?

and BTW I am 22... :)
  2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    The first bassist that came to my mind is Anthony Tidd from Quite Sane. The band, of which Tidd is the leader, blends Hip-Hop and Jazz. Tidd lays down some serious grooves and solos in their debut album, The Child of Troubled Times.
  3. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    cool can you hook me up with a good link? I was searching for about 10 min and couldn't find anything that worked on a bunch of different sites.

4. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Sure. Try Monumental Online and CD Universe (for soundclips).
  5. Little G

Little G

Feb 27, 2003
    A couple of my favs at the mo are

Matthew Garrison
    Janek Gwizdala
    Oteil Burbridge
  6. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
  7. Hatman

Feb 11, 2004
    Shropshire UK
    Best at the moment has to be Mark Stoermer from the Killers
  8. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    They just did an interview on him in bass player. He says he was mainly a guitar player before the killers. I love the song "Mr.Brightside" but haven't taken the plunge on the album yet.

I also forgot to mention Raphael Saadiq. I got his "RAY RAY" album for Christmas and its great. Definately check out that album!!! KILLER BASS LINES!!!!

please keep em coming folks
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Queens of the Stone Age
    Medeski Martin and Wood
    Los Lonely Boys

All of these bands/artists create great music and have many great basslines in their songs.
  10. I like what the bassist for Franz Ferdinand is doing, actually.
  11. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Steffan from dave mathews band is one that comes to mind! Ohh and mike gorden from phish
  12. sethlow3

Jun 19, 2003
    Nashville, Tennessee
    Some of you are pickin some 90s cats like Phish, Dave Matthews, Sade, Tool, Medeski Martin and Wood, ect...

Please NEW stuff!!!

bump ;)
  13. ryuujin

Jun 1, 2003
    Delaware, OH
    Colin Edwin of Porcupine Tree is probably my current favorite bassist. He is very much a pocket player and plays a lot of really cool lines.
  14. Ibanezzer

Aug 12, 2004
    Dayton, Ohio
    Pete Mosely from Yellowcard is a pretty sweet basist, checkout the ocean avenue cd for some good baselines.
  15. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    Jeff Berlin
    Jonas Hellborg
    Richard Bona
  16. I second the Franz Ferdinand bass player vote. That guy has some smooth lines played out on a ric. Also, P-Nut from 311 has some very funky lines, if that's your thing.
  17. Rapscallion2112

Apr 21, 2004

and i know fishbone was already mentioned....
  18. 5stringFanatic

Mar 3, 2004
    NY, USA
    The killers bassist has some really cool lines.. P-Nut.. definetly awesome... in my opinion sometimes he can take it to the next level, but he doesnt which in my opinion hurts their sound sometimes, but thats ok.

Now the main event.. lol, i cant believe no one mentioned Mudvayne yet. Im into metal and hevier rock and stuff, and mudvayne has to be one of my favorite bands, and Ryan Martinie one of my favorite bassists. He does some pretty crazzy stuff. Hes pretty much lead bass.. really good stuff.

Also, the bassist from Muse is very good. He has some really cool lines. The bassist from taking back sunday is also good. Melodic.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yep, when I saw this thread, first person I thought of was Mark from the Killers. He's very groove oriented, he really carries most of the songs. Colin from Porcupine tree is great too... I didn't know how new they were. I love how sometimes the guitar will be playing typical metalish stuff and he'll just sit back and lock in with the drums instead of just following the guitar.
  20. The bassist from Thursday plays some nice stuff.... they're a band in which you wouldn't really expect a good bass player to be, but he's good... he throws in some double stops and chords from time to time as well (like on the breakdown in "For the Workforce, Drowning". His tone is very audible in the mix as well. Good stuff.