Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The new Essex's are here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JoeRules00, Jan 4, 2003.

1. I will have to say, the BG-180 looks mighty sweet.

2. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Those Brice 5 string fretless basses look pretty darn sweet! I may have to get one to test the waters...

-S

3. I own an Brice 6 string fretless. Excellent bass, but the electronics leave something to be desired. Very muddy sounding and takes some tweaking to get a workable tone. The workmanship on it is excellent. I plan on changing out the pickups and preamp in the next few months. Then it will be a very nice bass.

4. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Virginia
    What the heck does "a filmed tiger maple top!" mean?

5. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Fender made some MIJ "Foto-flame" top basses in the past (90's I think?). They had the appearance of flame maple tops, but in reality, they were photos of flame maple that were applied to the bodies.

They look really nice in real life. The Jazz bass that I tired out sounded nice, but I liked the MIJ '75 RI Jazz better.

6. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    yes what he says is true

7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I have looked closely at the SX filmed tops and I really can't see that they are fake - it is a very good picture. The Brice tops are real and also look excellent. I am sure a maple cap affects tone, even if it is thin.

I am against filmed tops on principle, I see it as similar to "distressing" a bass to make it look vintage. Y'all can buy whatever you like, the tone is what should matter, so I shouldn't judge filmy or psuedistressed basses on appearance, but I guess I do anyway. I prefer natural or transparent finishes. And there are lots to choose from!

8. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    I am very close to ordering a Brice fretless 5 string in black quilt with no fretlines.

I'm rationalizing that it's a cheap way to (1) work on my fretless chops without "training wheels," and (2) see if I really do "need" a 5 string fretless. (I have a 4 string fretless, and a 5 string fretted bass.)

On top of all that I want to get a Telecaster copy...

The GAS is killing me!

9. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I was looking in person, but just at the store. I'm sure if I owned one I'd probably notice over time. Cheap is the reason to buy these :D If I had $ I'd post in the Fodera threads!

10. Mazinger

Mazinger Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2002
    USA
    I just placed an order for a brice fretless 4.

I've been looking for a cheap, unlined fretless and these just came in time. :D

11. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I'm trying out a Brice HVB600, the violin-style.
    Figured it'd be an inexpensive way to see what all the fuss is about, & always wanted to try a beatle bass anywho...

I think it's a good value for the $. Construction seems quite good. A beatle bass isn't for everybody (the ergonomics STINK!) but this is a pretty cool little instrument. Same kind of appeal/niche as a Danelectro to me.

What I'd like to know is whether these are the same as the Turser/Abilene/Epi/whoeverelse is making 'em...

12. shirojiro

shirojiro

Jan 24, 2001
    San Francisco
    Ok, the order is in for a Brice 5 string fretless, no fretlines, in blue quilt.

I hope the side dots are "on" the fret, but I bet they're not. Ah well, how much can one expect for $250?

-S

[UPDATE] I just got a note from Kurt saying that the dots are on the fret position. Sweet!