1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The new Fender Classic 70's Jazz Bass questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by vetles, Aug 31, 2008.

1. vetles

vetles

Aug 31, 2008
    Hi all,

I am new to the forum - having been a guitarist for the longest time, I am back to my true roots - I am forever a bassist, at heart!

I wanted to ask you experts, as I have been away from the world of bass and equipment for too long... about the new MIM Fender Classic Series 70's Jazz Bass I have been wanting for a while.

As I said above, I might be asking silly/stupid questions, so apologies for that already now.

I have long been "attracted to" the 3TSB with the Rosewood/Block Inlays 70s neck, and now that the Classic Series MIM is out, it's just the bass I want to get back in the game.

1) Have anyone of you got/played one, and what do you think of it? I don't have easy access to stores that carry them at the moment.

2) Is the wood in the body 3 pieces (not sure why I thought to ask, but it looked like it - not that it really matters to me)

3) I want to replace the black pickguard with a Tortoise Shell Red one, but I see there are subtle differences in the number of holes/shapes... how can I make sure I get the right one for this one? Any insight is truly appreciated!

Thank you all for reading.

Gunnar

Jnagol likes this.
  2. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Got one, love it. Neck is thick from front to back like the original 70s jazz. Pickups are responsive with CTS pots wired in stock and mine has a 3 piece alder body(but I had to look pretty hard to find the seams). It is really matched up well. Yes you should replace the pickguard, I used a pickguard from a MIM 60s Classic Jazz the thumbrest holes are in the wrong place(below the G string) but I didn't put a thumb rest on it. I also changed out the bridge on mine to a 70s style with the slotted screw saddles(I can never find the right size allen). I own 11 usa Fender bass(none of them under 20 years old) and to me this one just had that "feel".

3. Bulltrout

Bulltrout Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Alberta
    That looks like mine as well. I just used a 62 Ri pickguard - works well enough for my likes.

4. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I also have one and I was stunned that the tone was damn'er identical to my 74's tone and I agree with Gunner about the neck it has that real nice early 70's feel

5. Brummpa

Brummpa

May 30, 2008
    Germany
    hi,

Great bass for that money.
    I have the black one and there is no need to change anything.
    I had changed the PU's for Fralins and quickly changed back, because
    the stock PU's sounds great.

I can also agree that the neck feels great.
    Only the extreme white binding looks a little bit strange.

So, buy one.

regards

brummpa

6. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I'll be getting the black 70s Jazz later this month. After giving it deep thought (debating between Mexican Standard or the 70s) I decided that it'd be worth the extra money to get the 70s reissue.

I asked this in the Jazz Club thread but haven't gotten a response; you guys mention that the neck feels great. How does it compare to the Mexican Standard? Bone mentioned that it is thick from front to back, but I'm not sure what to expect.

I'm glad to read that you all seem pleased with the bass. That sure makes me more confident in the decision. They look awesome. The sunburst with tort looks very nice!

7. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I played one at the local GC, it felt a lot like my 70's jazz but it needed a decent set up. The neck was comfortable, the 70's C shape with the rolled edges, felt good.

8. Sifl

Sifl

May 14, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    The neck radius is different. The '70s is 7.25" while the Standard has the standard 9.5" radius. This was the main reason I purchased the '70s model. The radius is the same as my Mustang and just feels better on the hand.

9. Aahzz

Aahzz

Aug 28, 2008
    I played one at GC this evening - sounded and felt great, but definitely needed a setup.

10. How do these compare with say the Reggie Hamilton Jazz.???? I realise the RH has a P pup & is active, but in the passive mode it still sounded like a GREAT bass, even with just the bridge Jazz pup on. This RH was a MIM too. Do they compare favorably to reg. MIM models? tHINKING OF GETTING A BURST ONE ALSO Ahh damn caps!! Or maybe that Reggie Hamilton....... hmmmm. I can get the 70's one much cheaper, but I have to mail order it, where the RH is in a local store.
    Give me any more info on it?????

11. EnderZ13

EnderZ13

Feb 19, 2007
    Utopia, Jersey
    I like the black pickguard it really look 70's with it, the tort guard always reminds me of the 60's. Go figure. But I enjoy mine, great bass and beautiful neck.

12. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    A GC employee who I'm friendly with made me try out one of these the other day.. now, I'm a P-bass guy, but I was really astounded at how good the action, fit finish, and feel of this jazz was! Felt as hi-quality and any MIJ bass -- the gloss neck finish really added that vintage 70s feel.

Very impresssed!

13. Good stuff. I STILL cant decide between the Reggie Hamilton & the 70's Jazz!!!!

14. gibsonbassist45

gibsonbassist45

Jul 13, 2008
    YES...
    it is EXTREMELY nice. i played it once and it had great feel and tone. i am thinking of buying it myself.
    definatly man,get this bass . you wont be disapointed!!!:)
    yeah and if you want to replace the picguard knock yourself out,what could it hurt?!

15. faulknersj

faulknersj Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2008
    Scottsdale Az
    I bought one a few weeks ago for $600 out the door at GC. I have giged it twice (motown, funk, soul, r&b) and this bass kills that vintage tone! Great for jazz and funk. I have a custom shop Fender jazz and I dig this bass growly tone just as much. I am a recent passive bass convert and am starting to wonder why I waited so long!

16. bass71

bass71

Nov 18, 2007
    ct
    Interesting thread guys, but Im wondering about the weight? I ve heard some reports that their awful heavy...

How does the weight compare with say the 62 RI, MIA or custom shop Jazzes.

17. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV

The one I played was heavy, easily in the 11+ range.

18. Bone

Bone

Oct 28, 2006
    Mine weighs in at 8.5 one of the lightest basses I own. I've herd from most owners that thiers are light also.

19. ronster91

ronster91

Apr 10, 2008
    Collins NY
    How would you compare the neck of the 70's Jazz to the the neck on the Geddy Lee Jazz? I am trying to decide between the two but have not had a chance to play a 70's jazz yet. Thanks, Ron

20. Guys doesn't this baby also have the new high mass bridge Fender came out with on the 2008's. Thanks Joe:confused: