1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The New Fender Highway Ones?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DWBass, Oct 27, 2006.

1. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Graphite reinforced neck or not?? I see no mention of this feature on the Fender website! I thought I saw reports and threads that this was a new feature yet it's not being promoted! Anyone know for sure?

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    I'll go down to the local GC with my circular saw and check....:eek::D

3. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I think someone here emailed Fender and the Fender rep said that the graphite bars were a "phase-in" thing; the earlier 2006 Highway Ones don't have 'em but the ones currently in production do. I don't think there's a way to know for sure which ones, by going by serial number or anything.

Last I checked, the bars aren't mentioned in the spec sheet on Fender's site, but they are mentioned in the Highway One promo video there.

So yeah, circular saw test it is! ;)

4. zachbass02

zachbass02 One Hairy....squatch.

Jan 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    :bassist: Keep us posted on your findings.....:D

actually the word that I keep hearing about these is that they originally weren't but that Fender was trying to phase it into them. so, the first several batches are probably not...I'm under the impression that the first run will be hit and miss with the graphite rods, but eventually they will all be....
    If it's any consolation, my 2003 Hwy 1 isn't graphite reinforced and it has no problems whatsoever....:cool:

5. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Graphite rods and BAII bridge...two more steps away from the vintage vibe that made the Hwy 1 series so charming.

6. bassman10096

bassman10096 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    MKE
    I Emailed Fender's customer relations area and got that answer. They said Fender literally has no record of which 2006's have graphite and which don't. On the other hand, I've never had a hard time distinguishing between a reinforced neck (i.e. MIA Fender or Warmoth) and one with just a truss rod. The sound is better defined and often sustains better with reinforcement. In person - maybe not a problem. But if you are buying a Highway bass over the net - how can you be comfortable with what you are getting?