1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The new Garz is here!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by west*coast*bass, Nov 8, 2006.

1. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Well, she arrived today (a day early - :hyper: ) and I could not be happier. The bass is a freakin' tone monster... For those who had not read the first thread about it (http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=285556&highlight=garz) I will go ahead and give the specs again here...

4 string swamp ash body, wenge top, mahogany and purpleheart neck, cocobolo board, dual Bartolini soaps and a 3 band Audere preamp. The bass weighs 8 lbs and with the longer upper bout the bass feels like a 32" scale bass (it's 34"), balances perfectly and plays like a dream.

Here are some pics that I took tonight...

GARZ4.gif
    GARZ12.gif
    GARZ32.gif

Here's a cool thing Mark did. The Audere preamp comes with a small blue light that flashes when you plug the bass in and also lets you know when the battery is going south. Rather than placing the little blue light on the top (wouldn't have gone too well with the wenge...) Mark recessed the light into the wooden jack plate...
    GARZ22.gif

Anyway, 1 more for Mark to build for me and then I'll be done foe a while. The next one will be an "old school" departure.

Anyone interested in Mark's basses should check him out. He is a fantastic builder and a great guy.

2. spiffy :)

3. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Wenge is a very cool wood. Nice!

4. Garz, eh?

hmmmm....looks nice...bet it sounds nice, too..
    but I don't like the wenge...it should have been black limba...
    so now you'll have to get another one that is exactly like that one, but with black limba...

because I said so! :D

seriously, man....sweet, sweet bass

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Man, I said it before (in your prior post) and I say it now: that body shape is hot. I think is one of the most beautiful body shapes I have seen in awhile.

The lines flow seamlessly.

Enjoy!

6. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Thanks! Personally I'm not a fan of the black limba for a top... The next one will be very different from this one!

7. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Yeah, they do. Thanks for the kind words. Mark does one hell of a job!

8. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Very nice bass, the body shape is indeed hot. Only thing I dont like is the Garz inlay on the headstock, it looks weird.

9. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I dig!

10. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

You're weird...

JUST KIDDING!!!! :D :D :D :D :D

To each his own! It's not the best headstock pic...but I like the inlay.

11. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    I dont particularly like the way they wrote the word, it looks too shabby compared to the very precise construction of the bass itself. ;)

12. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Honestly, it's my picture taking skills...the inlay looks great in person.

13. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    No no I dont mean the way the inlay was done, but rather the Garz logo itself. I dont like the shape of the letters which look like they were copied from someone who wrote em down on paper with a marker. Its not the inlay thats I dont like its just the handwriting "style" they used for the word.

14. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA

Oh, gotcha... I bet that's a hard decision for a luthier to make...which font to use for the logo.

15. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    New York
    i love that bass! its pretty close to the singlecut shape im eventually goign to have made for me when i get my custom 5er. im not a big fan of the garz logo either...looks a bit cartoony. but the craftsmanship more than amkes up for such a moot detail. awesome bass man! we need sound clips!

16. morf

morf Inactive

Feb 17, 2006
    Yep, that body shape is really sweet.

17. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Very cool! Congrats and enjoy!

Cheers,
    Kevin

18. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    Grats on the sweet bass, looks as good as a piece of furniture :)

19. west*coast*bass

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Thanks. I ate dinner off of it last night. ;)

20. Love it! If you sell this one I'ma gonna slap you!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 17, 2021