Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The NEW Goodman GB-4

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by count_funkula, Jan 30, 2006.

1. I finally finished this GB-4 I was building for myself. This is the new body stlye for my GB series basses. This thing plays like a dream and it's all mine!!!

Thoughts?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I like the shape. I'm digging the angled-grain one-piece ash! Question: what the heck is going on in the middle of the back of the neck?

3. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Is that a spalted maple neck? Isn't that like, too unstable and crappy to make necks out of?

4. I had a fire in my shop and the neck got too close to the flames..........:D

Just kidding, that piece of maple had some kind of bizarre mineral streaks in the wood. For a customer bass I wouldn't use it but since it was for myself why not. I think it looks kind of cool. I couldn't let that beautiful piece of birdseye maple go to waste.

The body is actually a two piece.

5. That odd spot on the neck is in no way unstable. It's just a discoloration of the wood. There is no rot or fungus or anything like that.

I knew that was going to get a lot of questions. :D

6. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I was just reading today how mineral streak due to "bird peck" does not decrease the strength of wood to any significant extent. But I can also see how you wouldn't want to use that on a client's instrument.

7. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I see the glue line in the body now. But I like that grain angle. Reminds me of one zebrawood bass.

Interesting choice on the extended trussrod rout at the neck tang.

8. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    How do you play it without any strings? j/k :smug:

9. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Great shape, Jamie.
    I think you are taking your work to a new level with this one.

I'm just a few levels behind - beware!:smug:

10. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Sharp as nails!!

Looking good!

Jon

11. Nice shape! I like it...

Mike

12. Thanks everyone! This bass was going to be mine but someone offered me good money for it so it's gone. Kind of sucks because I was really enjoying playing it.

Oh well, now I can expand my shop and buils more faster. :hyper:

13. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    That kinda sucks tho, especially if you built it for yourself, with THAT piece of wood you wanted. Well, the next one's gonna be even better, right?:smug:

14. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Your bass, and this one, make me wonder why more instruments aren't done with diagonal grain-- it looks so nice!
    [​IMG]

15. Thats pretty cool. Maybe I try to build a Black Korina GB-4 with diagonal grain. That would look really nice. I love Korina.:bassist:

16. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Cost, man, cost!
    It takes 50-90% more wood, and good wood is rare.

OK, that makes it a cost and environment issue, then...

17. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Yes I was thinking of cost too-- in you look at Jaime's design, the two body halves look like they would nest very nicely when placed on the diagonal, with very little scrap, perhaps leas than "normal." The boards would have to be a little wider, but would be well-utilized. And if the grain ran on the other diagonal , like the zebrawood bass, perhaps ever moreso!

18. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Hm, could be correct...
    My guts still say "No", though, and by experience, I trust my guts pretty far.

Guess there is a need for a scientific approach - anybody has the time?:bag:

19. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Always groove.... Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I know it's an old thread, but just wanted to say "nice bass".