1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The New Groove!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Kwesi, Apr 26, 2010.

1. So we all know that funk is pretty far from the mainstream but it's still around and still kickin'. What are some new funk outfits you guys have found. I don't mean ones that you've recently discovered but groups that have formed in the past decade to bring the funk? Links are mandatory :D! Here are two that I've found:

Shook - I think if there will be a band to bring the funk back to the mainstream it'll be these guys. This group oozes groove and blends all the cool stuff that been going on in popular music (modern vocals, electronic elements) into theirs and make it sound sweet. Check out the tracks "Can U Still Dance?" and "Hi Fashion Girl". You can get their newly released EP for free here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shook/207185491998?v=wall#!/event.php?eid=111402565561518&ref=mf

Dam-Funk - Pronounced "Dame"-Funk, this guy is bringing west coast bounce back to the clubs. Think California Love and throw a little vgm (videogame music) on it and you've got this guy! It grooves so good :cool:. Check out the tracks: "Galactic Funk and "(My Funk Goes) On and On"

2. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
  3. glad to feel it!,listening to some old school funk this morning at first light(saved it from surfing last night)=it's still viable!,kicks a!!,tried to get my honky a!! onto it tonight practicing,,,,i'll break thru!,the funk=yeah a bassman needs that or he aint hole,whole(great post!)

:D:D:D:D

4. skwee

skwee

Apr 2, 2010
    Minneapolis
    I don't know if you'd consider them strictly funk, but I dig !Tang:

5. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
  6. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Big Dogs Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    Diggin' this stuff - Kwesi, thanks for starting this. Downloading the Shook EP now, and totally digging the Dumpstaphunk stuff. I'd heard of them but never got around to checking them out.

7. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    I second the Lettuce nod and I'll add Karl Denson's Tiny Universe, their 'Brother's Keeper' album was one of my favorites from last year.

8. Glad you guys dig the stuff! Lettuce, I've listened to but Karl Denson, !Tang, and Rubberneck are all new to me and I like 'em a lot :). Keep the bands coming!

9. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    I found Quantic Soul Orchestra last weekend.. Not strict funk but damn good grooves

10. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
  11. XXL

XXL Supporting Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Pretty cool isnt it. I wish they would play in SoCal more often.

12. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    As a person who was a kid in the funk era, and loved it, I'm not worried about a funk revival. So much music in Black radio is still informed by funk that I don't really feel it went away. The new Erykah Badu CD is as funky as anything I have heard in a very long time. I know Badu is actually pretty old by pop star standards, but I think the will be around as long kids want to dance.

13. lm183902

lm183902

Aug 19, 2007
    Denver, CO
    You can't go wrong with Greyboy Allstars.

14. Hehe, I see where you're coming from but this is more of a discovery thread than a revival one. I'm fine with where funk is as a genre I'm just trying to see what new stuff other people are listening to. But, I really did mean it when I said that if any band would bring groove back to the mainstream it would be Shook, they've got it!

15. Funkturnal

Funkturnal

Nov 17, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    The thread reminded me of a guy named Jason Crosby who I discovered (and came on the scene) about 10 years ago. Funnily enough, I never thought to youtube him until now.

Just a couple random clips I'm checking out from the office (discreetly :D).

16. jallen97

jallen97

Nov 12, 2007
    How about Jamiroquai? I've been really getting into them lately. They may not be what some may call straight up funk, but they are pretty darn funky!!

17. Love Jamiroquai and they're part of the reason this thread exists but they've been around auite a bit longer than a decade ;).

18. I think I found another one ya'll! I don't know how this guy has flown under my radar for so long but man am I glad I found him. Ladies and Gentlemen... Sam Sparro!

I'd love to be in his backing band.

19. cubanbass

cubanbass Gold Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2006
    Hoboken, NJ
    Bump, this was a cool thread with some artists that I had not listened to... how's about a 2015 revival