1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The new Gun laws, and your duty to flee.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fire-Starter, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    First off, I hope I am never in a situation where I have to choose my life over someone else's, but I WILL choose mine in a heartbeat. Having said that.....fast fwd

WARNING, IF YOU LIVE IN TEXAS, THINK TWICE BEFORE YOU ROB SOMEONE, YOU JUST MAY GET SHOT, AND RIGHTFULLY SO!

I suspose texas is a bit more aggressive when it comes to defending themselves or property.

Guess most of you have heard in the media of the Guy in Texas who shot and killed two people trying to rip off his neighbors home, After being told over and over again by 911 with whom he was talking to at the time NOT TO GO OUTSIDE, but he did and we know the rest.

The question is why is it so hard to come to the conclusion that if someone is in the process of breaking into your home or property, or neighbors, they have given up their rights to leave unharmed, and you have every right to protect yourself and familey, property, etc... As a matter of fact, it has been seen over and over again that if they are armed, they will do you first!

Also I know the "DUTY TO FLEE" law varies from state to state, but what I did not know, is that where it is applied, in some cases, you the homeowner have a duty to flee in YOUR OWN HOME, before using deadly force against an attacker, so you don't shoot the Milk Man by mistake if he decides to deliver to your home in the middle of the night, forcing his way in just to get to the fridge. :rollno:

I guess that puts a bullet hole in the Castle law, or maybe I am just not getting it.:confused:

Why does the chump who has decided to violate my space by force, wheather it be the home, or on the street, with the intent of harm get the benefit of me or you having to flee before we can protect our own self.

This makes no since to me at all. You can have a conceal and carry, but you have to Flee before you use it if your life is threatend first. In some cases even in your own home??

I keep hearing over and over about how much safer we would be if responsible people were allowed to carry and others knew you were packing, how this would detour the common punk and make him think twice. I am actually (being a very peacful kind of guy) starting to believe it.

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    More and more states are passing Castle Doctrine laws, and this terrible situation is changing, one state at a time. Contact your elected officials.

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    Well, with the specific case you cited, it was his neighbors home, not his own. That doesn't really make the crime itself any less important, but I could see 911 Dispatchers point of view, in that there was no direct danger to the guy on the phone.

4. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    But there could have been to the neighbor!

5. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Here in PA I have absolutely no duty to flee when in my own home. Which means if you're an intruder, you better flee.

6. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    *run away run away* [​IMG]

7. I agree voice the same concerns to your elected officials - everyone needs to pressure their policticians to change these ridiculous laws. Law or not - come onto my property or house by force and you are getting blasted!:bag:

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    The only running away I will do in my own home is to run to someplace that will give me a better shot. I like head shots, but they're hard to get right. Center-of-mass shots work well too. However, if I ever caught my wife in bed with Sancho, I'd at least be a gentleman about it, and give him a chance...I'd let him set them swingin' first! :D

9. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    if anyone ever breaks into my house, they will never find the body. i feel i am just saving the judicial system and taxpayers time and money. i have tried the bastard and sentenced him/her. no muss, no fuss.
    my store got broken into this past sunday. i hope that the cops find him before i do.
    proud member of the nra folks.
    what in, YOU broke into MY house and tried to take MY stuff or harm ME is so hard to understand? you have given up your rights at that point. see, in the above sentence there are 3 ME'S and only one of YOU. I WIN!!!!

10. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    how about a law that forbids any use of weapons by civilains? :)

ummmmm..... nice!

11. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Husband to hitman on hill outside of his home: "My wife's been cheating on me, I'll pay you for two shots. I want you to shoot her in the head and him in the groin."

Hitman, peering through scope into the guy's bedroom window: "I think I can do both with one shot."

12. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    :scowl:
    Then outlaws will have those weapons to terrorize civilians. Outlaws don't abide by laws, hence the word "outlaw".

The OP's reference is to the idiot in the Houston area who saw his neighbor's house being robbed then shot the robbers. In this case, from what I've read, the Castle Doctrine doesn't apply. Just because your friend tells you to watch his/her property doesn't give you the freedom to do what you wish. Now if your friend tells you to shoot anybody trying to steal your stuff, I'd get his instructions in writing and notarized! Even then, I'd be really leary of defending his stuff that way.

IMHO, if somebody runs into my garage and steals my toolbox and I see him, I'm going to be pissed off but in the end, it's just a toolbox that can be replaced. OTOH, if I or any of my family is in the garage and somebody comes running up to the garage and if I'm armed, they'd better tread carefully. If they break in, all bets are off. Shoot first, ask questions later.

13. Fire-Starter

Fire-Starter Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2002
    MINNESOTA
    You cannot have a Castle doctrine, and a Conceal and Carry, and duty to flee working all at the same time. :eyebrow: can you ?:meh:

14. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    In Texas, the Castle Doctrince drops the duty to flee. The view is that if you feel you're life is in immediate danger that you have to pull your gun to defend yourself, you shouldn't have to try to run. The Castle Doctrine gives the right to defend yourself with deadly force in your house or extensions of your home which would be your car, place of employment*, motor home, second home, etc. Concealed carry has nothing to do with it.

*If you're self employed or your employer allows concealed carry at the place of business.

15. ROGI

ROGI

Apr 25, 2005
    Croatia, Europe
    nope, it's the other way around. outlaws will have a hard time to get to weapons. it works fine in lots of states around the world. i don't see on CNN that every now and then a crazed student in france, germany or whatever goes around rampaging and killing. why? they can't get guns. police does it's work. how come london has police (not whole but a part of it) without guns? don't see that crime rate is higer in london than in USA (i belive it's much lower)...

16. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    :mad:I always try to keep things civil especially about guns. We'll just agree to disagree right now. If you want a debate about gun laws and such, do a search. There are plenty of threads about this. This won't be one of them and this thread wasn't started in order to argue gun control. End of story.

17. Oh, goody!

Mike

18. When one anti gun nut gets banned another one quickly fills the ranks :rollno:

19. That really doesn't make sense. Why would you CC around your home. Not any tactical advantage. Most people would profer to defend their castle with a shotgun anyway. Or................in Toasted's case, dumping boiling oil over the walls :p

profer :confused:

20. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.

That is simply not true. I live in Chicago IL. You can have a firearm but you can't conceal and carry. And of course you have to have a licensce.

Guess who has more guns, not the people with the licences, the gangs. My nephews don't even go to a rough school and a lot of the little wanna be gangbangers have a handgun. If teens can get guns that easily it's not hard to do.

Taking them away from law abiding people isn't going to make it harder for them to get them, trust me the criminals aren't getting it from them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.