1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The new "guy" in town... :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Margus Alviste, Jan 5, 2013.

1. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Inactive

Feb 19, 2006
    west suburban boston
    Just for the record... I had an ATK 305 for about a year and couldn't develop a relationship with the neck, too beefy? Great tone tho!

2. I can say that this new ATK800 is a different animal than the old ones. I have tried also a bunch of the old ones which were very good basses for the price but the new 800 feels completely different. And of course - much better! :)

3. Thanks a lot for your support Aaron! :)

4. AaronMB

AaronMB

Aug 17, 2012
    Oregon
    What flames, man?

Ohhh, right! Your original flames: :spit:

;)

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    LoL

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

It really doesn't matter what brand the rejected basses were.

He didn't like them. Case closed. It's his money and his call.

As said earlier, chances are that you or I might have found keepers among the basses he didn't like. No problem, it's his call. I'm not an Ibby fan, so I wouldn't even have picked up the Ibanez and played it. Perhaps that would have been my loss - but that's MY call.

I don't consider myself very picky with basses - I have seldom found one that I couldn't play and be happy with.

7. VinKreepo

VinKreepo

Nov 13, 2009
    Ibanez > Fender

:bag:

8. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    Will you guys stop trying to turn this into a hate thread, please?

Margus, is the neck the typically beefy ATK neck, or have they changed the thickness?

9. Isn't it really just the probability talking?

At least at the stores I've been to, Fender basses greatly outnumber other companies' basses. In most music stores close to me, I'd say 1:3 basses are Fenders. So given that 33% of the OP's basses were Fenders, and probably 2-10% other companies (Ibanez, Warwick, MusicMan, Gibson/Epiphone, cheap "store brands") it's more likely that he found Fenders that he just didn't like.

Back when I was 16 I saved up for a brand new bass. I was hoping for an MIA Jazz, but I was open to anything in the $800-1600 range. I traveled over an hour to the nearest Guitar Center for an entire weekend (I got off work/school at 3 and drove down) and played literally every bass in the store.

I probably found 15+ Fenders that I didn't like (along with other brands that I didn't really like). Well, I liked them, but not enough to warrant a purchase. Finally, on a last whim the sales guy brought out a bass from the back that the employees used to kick around in the break room that never really sold. It was a 2005 MIA Jazz bass with the hated S-1 switch (which I kinda liked). At $750 brand new, it sounded better than anything else in the store.

I'm sure there are plenty of variables that determine an instruments quality. Individual stores setup their instruments differently. A jazz bass in guitar center might play better than the one in sam ash. I don't find it odd that the OP discovered an Ibanez that played better than all of the Fenders. I wouldn't really use this as a testament to the lack of quality of Fenders, but more of a testament that in that particular store the Ibanez shone above the rest.

10. The neck was very comfortable being significally slimmer than the old models have. Something between Jazz and precision type of necks. It reminded me more high end hand made basses. Sry guys, it was much better constructed bass than the usual fenders plus the high quality wood. It was not just about good setup. And I consider myself a jazz bass type player! I even have 62 and 78 jazz basses. :) So - that bass was really something, not an average Ibanez! Why not try it out?! :)

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021