1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The new guy...with questions!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fruitysquirts, Oct 5, 2008.

1. so i dipped myself into the hot waters of talkbass. The warm touch of the .com era felt like my big toe had eaten to much home cook'n. With a full toe i dove right in!

I've been high and low on trying to figure a few things out.

I own an old nemesis nc-410 and i can't figure out if the external jack is "series only". i'd liek to know because i've bid on a bill fitzmaurice 1x12. you know...the cabs you hear about but never get to hear.... yeah i heard and i hear it's a beaut but i don't hear....got it?

i dont want to get Mr. bill and i can't plug him into my nemi!

next question

anyone hear anything about that ol'Heathkit TA-17.
    anygood? and what's up with the granpa speaker wire configuration!?

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    According to the manual, yes, the external speaker jack is in series with the speakers you have. You can plug the fitz in, but your amp's electrical power output will drop since it'll be working into a higher impedance. But the two sets of speakers may more than make up for it subjectively/acoustically. Tough to tell until you actually try it. Many speakers driven by few watts sometimes comes across really well. Then my other concern in phasing. I assume this fitz is a complicated design, horn-loaded perhaps. I don't know exactly what it is. Sometimes strange things happen when you combine two wildly-different cab designs and run them in the same frequency range, even if the drivers themselves are operating in phase. Again, you'll just have to try it -- or provide more detail on what your amp has for a speaker configuration and what design the fitz is, and then maybe "someone" will jump in with a final word on the matter.

3. The fitz is a omniTop 12 it does not have a tweeter installed. As for the speaker configuration on the nemi...well that don't know off hand. It's at the practice space right now. also, anyone ever had problems with the nc410 sounding a little muffled and at higher levels you get a little fart.

4. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Looking at the specs for that thing relative to your intended application doesn't exactly leave me sore from grinning. http://billfitzmaurice.com/OmniTop12.html Look at where it starts rolling off. Pretty steep slope, too. I am not bashing the cab, just questioning whether it's wise to use it in this particular application. The 2x12 rolloff is more gradual & maybe more suited to what you want to use it for.

Another question: in the fitz, what's the installed driver's impedance? If it's above 4 ohms, you're going to be seriously limiting your amp's output & there may be a net negative benefit on the audience side because of that.

Also I repeat my concern about cab phasing, your cab vs the fitz. Can you see the speakers in your current cab and are they facing you, like most cabs today? If so, it's direct-radiator. Now, will that augment the fitz design or work against it? You need an authoritative answer on that from "someone." IF the fitz is a direct-radiating horn, as the pics lead me to suspect, then you may be able to get by with careful cab placement relative to your nc (driver alignment in the vertical plane).

My gut feeling is this has too many things going against it.

5. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Hi, I'm just glad we FINALLY have a guy here named "Fruitysquirts"! :eek: :hyper:

6. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Do not use an OTop 12 along with anything other than another OTop 12 or a true subwoofer with a proper crossover.

7. Well now i just hit this guy --->:bag:

so no matter what...if i get an otop 12 and i want to get louder....i have to go with another otop 12!

8. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    BF is telling you to run the omnitop 12 only in one of the following scenarios:

1. Alone
    2. With another one
    3. With a crossed-over subwoofer.

IMO, if you buy the omnitop 12, the only workable solution that will cover the range you must cover for bass guitar is #3. [1] And you're going to spend some very serious cash to implement it. In the process, you will probably find it expedient to dispose of your amp entirely and start over, since you will not be able to use its speakers anyway.

Again, stepping back from this a few feet, purchasing the fitz makes no sense to me within the context of your original objectives.

p.s. Thank you, BF, for hopping in.

[1] Unless you are going for a very thin, lightweight, commercial sound. For example, the bass work in Robert Palmer's "Simply Irresistible." Very harmonic-rich, not much in the way of fundamentals.

9. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    That one you linked to, you're still facing a very steep, very early slope in the area where an E string puts out all its fundamentals. Others may argue otherwise, but IMO this is not a bass guitar cab unless [Note 1 above]. With a cab like this, I envision some type of sub and separate amp doing the heavy lifting below 100 or so Hz.

If you use a cab like this for bass, and you try to drive its bass flat(ter) with tone controls, you are going to expend huge amounts of power to get there and possibly damage the drivers and/or the amp's outputs in the process. That cab's dropoff is like the face of a cliff. Again IMO, the cab just isn't tuned for this application.

10. Craig,
    Thank you sooo much for your help!!! I guess im just going to look some more for a head or if i come across another 4x10 nemesis cab. Do you know if i can use the nc410 as just cab somehow bypass it?
    Also, what are some good heads. i love the sound of the ampeg v4b and sunn coliseum. I use a dod250 overdrive pedal when i play.