1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The new human abstract

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by crimson_basser, Aug 30, 2008.

1. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses
    Hurts my ears a lot.
    Ive never been that big of a fan but come on

this just hurts man

stop trying to ripoff between the buriend and me and dillinger at the same time.

this is a huge part of the reason why metal is getting so hard to listen to

god....

2. baalroo

baalroo

Mar 24, 2008
    Wichita, KS
    I actually think it's pretty decent for being Tech oriented metal (at least the first part of that clip that I bothered listening to), which generally bores me.

3. Interesting time sig at the beginning, and the next part(s) of the song sounded kinda stock (nice for boring?), but The Human Abstract rocks! It's not for everyone, but some people really appreciate their musicianship...me being one of them.

4. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    dude, his "guitar solo" is not in key to the rest of the music
    i just hate this (not so new) trend in metal that playing every note as fast as you can counts for something

i just think its blatantly obvious that theyre trying way too hard to be btbam and dillinger at the same time
    both are bands i love, cuz they can actually do what it is theyre trying to do
    and are actual legit musicians who know music, keys and time signatures

these guys rly dont seem to
    thats my biggest problem with them

5. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    What "key" is the rest of the music in?

6. Martin Bormann

Martin Bormann

Sep 20, 2007

So what key do you think the rest of the music is in? And so what if the solo is in a different key. Is there a rule on this? Because I didn't get the memo.

7. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    well if by listening to it, you cringe and feel that a lot of what he was doing sounded terribly off from the rest of the music then i would say something might be wrong

and if a room full of none musicians all listened to it and all went "oh...that sounds off" at the exact same time...

im just saying
    i may not be able to just pick out the exact key by ear
    but, i can tell if something sounds off
    and thats what i was trying to say

i just dont like it when people call other people wicked guitarists or whatever JUST because they can play something rly rly fast
    knowing what to play when, makes all the difference

8. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    It just sounds unimaginative and half of it fantastically generic. Also I hate the singing.

9. Meh, it sounds like The Human Abstract. I like this band in small doses but overall I think they are a very forgettable band. Nocturne is a solid enough album but too much protools and too much of this "chain every genre together in every song" makes me not take stuff like this seriously, and the song you linked is even worse. Cool parts on their own, but together it just makes them sound like a band that can't write a coherent, flowing song.

As far as that solo, it sort of creates a sense of awkwardness, and maybe that was the guitar players intention? Not every solo has to be some pretty sounding melodic stuff.

10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Not bad. I can dig it, wouldn't buy it, but... it's interesting. I really dislike the poppy singing, but it's interesting that they are willing to take it to that dynamic, but it sounds like they slam together a few different songs, it doesn't read as one song at all. They are one of those bands that are proggy just to show off I think rather than writing a good song. Not that it's not a good song, but a lot of prog bands are more concerned with showing off rather than writing a good prog song.

11. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    +1.

12. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    I don't recommend you buy anything by Buckethead, Shawn Lane or Alan Holdsworth then.

13. Martin Bormann

Martin Bormann

Sep 20, 2007
    I highlighted the key part of your post there. See, that statement alone says you're full of baloney. How can it be "off" (as you put it), when you don't even know what he did? In fact you can't even identify either of the alleged keys, so how can he be "out of key?"

14. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    well can you, just by listening to it identify it either?

all i was saying, that what he was doing during the solo sounds extremely off from the rest of the music
    it seems to me, that all he is doing is hitting notes as fast as he can

and i think that if you actually listen to the song, youll think the same thing
    somehow i doubt you even did

15. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Buckethead's arrangements, particularily the instrumentals, are very well constructed.

16. bassaficionado6

bassaficionado6 Something about gumption

Jan 7, 2008
    Napa, CA
    +1 Buckethead has some very well constructed stuff.

I moderately enjoyed Nocturne, the first album. It caught my ear and that was enough for me. However, my hope was that they progress and do something a little different song-wise (and that maybe the singing would get a little better, just not my cup of tea).

However they seem to be doing the same thing as they did in the first album, so I'm not getting the new one. Not worth it IMO.

17. mutedeity

mutedeity

Aug 27, 2007
    Sydney
    Which is why it's probably best not to claim things are out of key when you don't really know what's going on.

That it sounds "off" is really a matter of your opinion. Plenty of music is written that is "out of key". Being "in key" isn't the be all and end all of making music. In fact my opinion is that playing "out of key" was probably the intent of the guitarist. It happens in music all the time, particularly in jazz, for example.

As far as Buckethead goes, my point wasn't that his music is poorly constructed, I especially wouldn't ever claim that Alan Holdsworth's music is poorly constructed either. What I am saying is that being "in key" is hardly the primary consideration in the notes Buckethead chooses to play.

I have to agree with bassaficionado6 though. I don't think what I heard lives up to Nocturne too well.

18. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Sounds pretty cool. I like it.

Fred

19. crimson_basser

crimson_basser

Jul 9, 2008
    Montreal
    poor choice of words
    my bad

sounds off was all i meant to say

20. MarkMyWordsXx

MarkMyWordsXx

May 17, 2006
    sorry you didnt enjoy it. move ona nd talk about something that you did enjoy hearing.

i love the human abstract, and really enjoy this album.