the new Metallica

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, May 26, 2003.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    What do you all think of the new Metallica w/Rob Trujillo on bass? He is a monster player. I wish Jason the best but I think Rob fits great.

I'm curious to hear what the (new era) Metallica doubters think of this album. From what I've heard it's fast and heavy.

Lars would not approve but have any of you heard the whole album yet? I have just heard clips (and the new song they did on Icon). I like what I have heard. If so, what's it like?
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  3. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    didn't bob rock play bass on the album, though?
  4. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I thought Jason played on the last album and that Bob Rock produced it. But I havent really kept up with them, since they arent my cup of tea anymore, so I could easily be wrong.

cute sig netoon
  5. I've heard the clips and to be honest, i was pretty unimpressed. The clip I heard was called "Evil Monkey" it was pretty mediocre and certainly not very heavy, let alone a return to there roots, which is whaut this album was said to be.

Also another thing which struck me was that James Hetfields voice is definately not what it used to be, it cracked in the middle of jthe clip.

Anyway i love everything before load, yadda yadda yadda........... sure you guys have heard a million people say that.
  6. Oh crap, i forgot to say, as the album was written without a real bassist, i doubt jthat iut will mbe bass orientated(by metallicas standards anyway) at all.
  7. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Maybe you heard a rough mix or music with rough vocals slapped on it. Maybe not but it doesn't seem like they would let something go like that.
  8. fireworks_god

Oct 30, 2002
    It's time for me to make an argument in Metallica's case. So, here we go:

1. How long does it take to record bass lines?

My guess would be that Rob recorded the bass lines over again. It just seems the Metallica thing to do. I think Bob was just sketching out the lines, so they would be able to start work while looking for a bassist. And, if they did keep Bob's lines, how do we know that they aren't good? Producers seem to be able to play instruments fairly proficently. It makes their jobs easier and more talented if they can play. I am willing to bet he did FINE on them.

2. 95% of those songs available for download aren't Metallica.

Most are crappy bands trying to get their **** circulated to a lot of people. Some of them might (might) actually be early demos of songs, but that's what they are. Metallica has WAY too ****ing much money to make a ****ty-sounding record. Every aspect of their recording experience, from the guitar cables to the recording equipment to the mastering equipment, is going to be TOP FLIGHT.

3. Jaymz losing his singing talent? Hah.

Have you heard the songs on S and M? If you have, that question definitley sounds far-off. He showed excellent-e ability.

4. Metallica heavy again?

Go to and look at the set lists for those Fillmore shows. Have you seen Night 4?
    The Thing That Should Not Be? DAMAGE INC? ****ING RIDE THE LIGHTNING?! All old, heavy songs, ad they seemed to be enjoying playing them 100%
  9. Coypu

Coypu Banned

Feb 24, 2003
    1. Doesn't matter, metallica have never used their bassplayers well and I don't think they will start now.

3. He did sound pretty bad on the latest soundclips, he doesn't sound metal anymore.

4. What is this obsession with being heavy or not? Being heavy is not that fantastic as people seem to think, if you want heavy music then listen to some death metal. I'd rather see that they write good songs than trying to be heavy. They don't have what it takes to be an extreme metal band (or even just a metal band) so instead of trying they should be focusing on other aspects that comes more naturally to them.
  10. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I just heard "St. Anger" this afternoon on the radio. Here's my review, in just two words: "***t sandwich."

It sounds like they're trying to hard to be what they once were. The song sounds thrown together. Remember back in the day, when their songs had like, six different riffs all jammed into one song, but the riffs at least went together? Well, now they're jamming six different riffs together that don't go together. Lars needs to tighten his snare drum (at least on that particular single) and yes, fireworks_god, James has lost his knack for writing decent, meaningful lyrics (IMO, that's why they stopped printing them in the CD booklets), as well as the ability to sing them. His vocals sound forced and have since Load. Metallica should hang up their cleats and call it a career.

Of course, that's just my opinion -- I could be wrong.

BTW, the vast majority of the people that called in this morning, after hearing "St. Anger" thought it sucked too.
  11. A friend of mine said that one thing worse than a Metallica poser is a metallica defender....:oops:

Anyway, the clip I heard was matallica and it most definately blew chunks.

Dude James' voice has always sucked. with the help of expensive recording studios he sounds reasonable but on the clip i heard it couldn't even be hidden.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am a big Metallica fan and i liked the song and video for St. Anger. Their is one thing i didnt like was the sound of the snare drum on the song but really all i have to say is to each is his own and i am very happy Metallica are back.:)
  13. I've always thought the vox are the strong point of Metallica, that's what I feel sets them apart from that pack of metal bands that all sound quite similar.

On St. Anger, it seems that James is singing the worst vocal melody ever. There's no melody, excitement, variation, anything. It's just plain boring and awful in my opinion.

Guitar riffs... it seemed some worked and some didn't. Not great but not horrible. I liked the intro guitar.

July 20th in Montreal, should be a good show. Not nearly as good as Maiden 2 weeks later, but still.
  14. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    I Haven't heard anything except for the song that they played at Icon.

Just to clear some things up..........

Rob did not re-record new bass lines...Bob Rock will be the "bassplayer" getting credit on the album.

Yes I agree..Rob should be able to put down his own tracks but as of right now he's only a "Hired Gun"
    Who knows how long he will last.

James vocals..the new song is in the key of "C"..
    Everything else was E or Eb.

I Guess they need to try and fit in with the "Nu-Metal" bands out there today.

Why don't they just stick with what works?
    ie..kill 'em all, ride the lighting, master of puppets, garage days revisited, justice for all,
    & of course Garage Inc.
  15. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I heard a track off of the album last night (sorry, I don't recal the title - but I think it was the title track to the album) and it sounded like garbage... a huge flaming turd if I ever heard one. James's vocals were on - but the lyrics were terable. Lars's drumming was the high point, the only thing in the mix I could stand to really listen to. The bass was inaudable and the gutars were obnoxious - the guitar parts struck me as very un-musical. It seems to me that Metallica's number one problem is that they always try to sound new and different when they should have stuck to what worked for them. In case you couldn't tell - I don't like what I've heard of the newer stuff.
  16. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Metallica has written some of the better hard rock songs of our time. I'm not afraid to say it- I like Metallica. Sure, some of the later albums haven't been stellar, but they made some really great music that my generation listened to during our most developmental time. They made some good rock music.

Which is why I'm mystified as to why they would put something like St. Anger on the radio. That is the worst pile I have heard in a long, long, time. You would think that an established band like Metallica would have standards after this long. I find it hard to believe they spent so much time and money on this new album to record that. Without any hyperbole whatsoever intended, St. Anger is easly my least favorite song on the radio. It just sounds like utter crap.

(On a side note, Folgers must be ecstatic as Lars seems to be endorsing their coffee cans for his snare drum on the new single.)
  17. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    You guys just must not get it if you were expecting anything good from the new Metallica. I mean, come on. It's so blatant they are trying to pull a 180 back into the heaviness direction, except they have no new ideas so they'll be trying to dance some nu-metal jig. Yeah, lars playing blast beats to chugga-chugga riffs and James squelching "YEE HAW!". Sounds good to me :rolleyes:
  18. dragonbass

dragonbass Commercial User

Feb 17, 2003
    Owner/Builder of LoPrinzi Basses.........................................EX-Sadowsky Guitars Builder
    It seems like they were better when they were drunk!

I mean I always liked Metallica..but if's the new music is's crap.

A wise old man once said....
    "If you sh#t in one hand and wish in the other you still have a hand full of sh#t"

Only thing left to say is that I can't wait to see Newsted W/ Ozzy.
  19. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    :spit: Crap. Before and now. 'nuff said.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

wow it seems like their is alot of people who are not fans of any of the new music.Maybe this is just a limited audience.