Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The New MIM Jazz - PU change or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tactician, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Just got one of the new MIM Jazz Sunburst to replace an PE style Aria I just couldn't get on with (but that's another story, as they say in Wayne's World). I fully intended to get this bass and replace the PUs with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders - but...err - this is a 'new' MIM with the 'new' pick-ups and the alder body (not poplar). It sounds so good I don't now know if I should bother. Anyone know more about this new model - what's new about the PUs? Would it really be worth spending another $150 (or whatever) to get the Seymours? This is an amazingly good bass considering the price. I mainly use this bass for teaching so spending money on chasing that 'just so' sound is not part of the equation - but I do play in an R&B/Rock band 'and that's another story' ( ha ha )

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd leave it alone. Like you said, you like the way it sounds.

If you could find a set of the pick up you wanted on eBay (or elsewhere) used, it migh be worth a shot cause if you like the original p/u's better, you can re-sell the p/u's for about what you bought them for.

3. You can't be out of bed this early AND in a band! Or...have you just got in? It's got to be about 6 in the morning nthere in NY!