1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The New MIM Jazz - PU change or not?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tactician, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Just got one of the new MIM Jazz Sunburst to replace an PE style Aria I just couldn't get on with (but that's another story, as they say in Wayne's World). I fully intended to get this bass and replace the PUs with Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders - but...err - this is a 'new' MIM with the 'new' pick-ups and the alder body (not poplar). It sounds so good I don't now know if I should bother. Anyone know more about this new model - what's new about the PUs? Would it really be worth spending another $150 (or whatever) to get the Seymours? This is an amazingly good bass considering the price. I mainly use this bass for teaching so spending money on chasing that 'just so' sound is not part of the equation - but I do play in an R&B/Rock band 'and that's another story' ( ha ha )

2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd leave it alone. Like you said, you like the way it sounds.

If you could find a set of the pick up you wanted on eBay (or elsewhere) used, it migh be worth a shot cause if you like the original p/u's better, you can re-sell the p/u's for about what you bought them for.

3. You can't be out of bed this early AND in a band! Or...have you just got in? It's got to be about 6 in the morning nthere in NY!