1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The new Music Man Cutlass bass - HOLY ****

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Vee, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    All I can say is wow. Just demoed this bass at GC on Sunset (blue/maple) and honestly, it blew me away. I just received an American Professional Precision on Thursday and it will be exchanged immediately for a white/maple Music Man Cutlass.

After playing the Cutlass, the P-bass feels like driving an 18 wheeler. Seriously. Every single thing about the Cutlass is so much better. It play like aa dream. The neck is like butter. It feels worn in, almost like a Fender road worn. The neck shape and radius feel similar to a Classic Stingray, which IMO has the best feeling neck of pretty much any bass. The build quality feels much better than the Fender also. It's lighter or feels lighter. The sound is a little more vintage P than the Fender AM Pro. The American Pro P just feel SO GENERIC and boring compared to this bass.

The icing on the cake? The pickups have this little rounded curve where the pickup screw is - right where your thumb usually goes on a P-bass. Your thumb sits right in there - I swear it felt as good as sexual penetration when my thumb found that warm little spot.

I am absolutely in love with that bass. If you are a Precision fan, I suggest checking this out ASAP. I would place it even above the 63 AVRI. It's basically like a Classic Stingray / P-bass hybrid and it's my new favorite bass int he world.

2. MMiller28

MMiller28

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Wowzers

Dels, El-Bob, mmhmm and 24 others like this.
  3. If you think playing a bass feels as good as sex, I think you really need to get out more.

El-Bob, creaturegods, mmhmm and 62 others like this.
  4. scourgeofgod

scourgeofgod

Aug 17, 2006
    I've got so many jokes but I don't want to be mean to op and I don't want to get banned.

5. MyTomomi

MyTomomi

Aug 15, 2017
    PH
    Post a picture of that bass as soon as you get it. ;)

I love the way you describe your experience with it. :roflmao:

6. darkinners

darkinners

Oct 4, 2006
    I tried one cutlass P in local music store.
    I feel the same sentiment as OP, They just blew Fender's away in any way possible.
    The tone, the built quality, the play ability just amazing!

Giffro and andruca like this.
  7. Ant Illington

Ant Illington I'm Anthony but I'm only illin' Banned

.... or get IN more.

But, I agree, the Cutlass (and Caprice) feels boutique and feels better crafted than any fender I've put my paws on, and I like some Fenders but for a few extra bucks Musicman wins in my book.

joebar, Giffro, Catbuster and 7 others like this.
  8. Mike Vee

Mike Vee

Oct 8, 2012
    Uh...it was all jokes.

Seriously. Just amazing.

metallicafan18 likes this.
  9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    How was the weight? The few newer MM basses I have picked were super heavy. I mean actual weight..... I know you didn't have a scale but approx. 9 Lbs? 10? 8?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  10. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I want a black caprice body with a maple cutlass neck. The left over bass would probably sell quick too. All I need is about three grand.

covermego, SirMjac28 and andruca like this.
  11. Yeah... too much wood onstage could be hazardous.

12. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I'd love to try a Cutlass, but I'm pretty sure there's something you aren't doing right.

These basses are interesting. When they were announced, everyone here was saying, "oh yay. another P clone." Once they started getting into players hands, everyone here started saying, "OH YAY!!! A Music Man P clone!!!"

13. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

guy loves the Cutlass. Cool!

14. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    The Music Man Cutlass Bass now on sale at Adam & Eve.com

AdamEveLogo.

15. I got a good laugh out of the OPs enthusiasm

TonyP-, Helix and andruca like this.
  16. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Unfortunately, the Cutlass at my local GC has such an extreme back-bend in the neck that every note is nothing but buzz. I said something and they did nothing. I'm tempted to adjust it myself. But I'd do that on a day I "forget" my wallet.

robertj22 and Ellery like this.
  17. frankencat

frankencat

Aug 26, 2011
    EBMM is really on their game right now.

selowitch, Giffro and lowdownthump like this.
  18. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Hmmmmm.

You know what, maybe we can do without the picture this time.

19. OP said it was lighter, or feels lighter.
    You probably missed that while processing the whole thumb thing. :smug:

20. My wife is reading a romance novel.
    I'm reading TB.
    :)