Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The New Musicman S.U.B.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scatman, Jun 15, 2003.

1. scatman

scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Has anyone played the new MusicMan S.U.B.? Oh, My goodness. I checked out Ernie Ball's website and started licking my chops when I saw the price--$645.

To get a MusicMan under $1,000!!!!!! It is passive, which I like. (not a big fan of active).

I was thinking of the OLP (Liscensed by EB, but made in China). But I'm not touching the "made in China" thing. The S.U.B. may be a better investment. The S.U.B., according to EB, is made in the USA. Peace. :hyper:

2. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    USB Musicman?:eek:
    I hope we'll get firewire version too.:D
    ;)

3. Do a search dude, there's been loads of stuff posted about the S.U.B's recently.

Welcome to TB :bassist:

4. Bazzist

Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    tryed one in black almost nails the tone

5. S.U.B. -sport utility bass
    The 2-band active version is only a little more out-of-pocket, but nails the early 2-band 'Ray sound. The pickguard is cool & the finish is made to take some abuse. If my Warwick FNA weren't already in the same league as this one, I'd buy it.

6. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i finally came across one today at guitar center,its has an odd finish on the body and neck,kinda like a non-laquered finish almost ruff feeling. but it did play nice :bassist: i must admit and its VERY light for its size:eek: .the only thing i did'nt like was the lack of bottom end punch:meh: ,it had great high's and treble but the bottom end is a bit weak.i tried fiddling w/ the amp but it still did'nt sound like it should have. but non-the less its a well made nicely done bass,and for the price i dont think i would opt for that bass,i would go with some sort of fender japanese re-issue. this is only my opinion,and its not meant to sway anyone's feelings about the bass in question ;)

7. soularis

soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    beautiful bass, sound, construction and finish, a little expensive i think and it seemed that it lacked some bottom end given that it has an active EQ, fretboard is very smooth, nice.

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Huh, I goofed around w/ one of these today at GC. I thoroughly enjoyed the time we shared. Sure, its rather,,, "Industrial" looking. But, it's kinda cool, in an abused sorta way. But, the sound & playability were VERY comfortable.

Kinda has me waffling, on my future choices,,, I'm sure I'll still go Lakland 55-01,, when I get the "Green Light" from the Missus.

9. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i kinda like it

[​IMG]

10. Prahainspring

Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Sorry to hijack this thread for a moment but are there any Musicman (of any variation) in a Natural Finish?

11. Yes they make them in natural. see the pic.

and I got the chance to play a music man sub and thought it was pretty good. I agree that it lacks the bottom of the stingray but I usually boost the bass on the stingray to get it to my liking. I think it is a solid and very great playing bass, and the price sticker is nice too. I have a affinity toward jazz bass but if you play one and like it then it would be a good bass for you.

12. ampzerobass

ampzerobass

Aug 10, 2003
    if only they made a 5 string version :p

13. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada

oh but they do.

14. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hmmm, very interesting!

15. sdguyman

sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I just bought one from a guy selling his here on TalkBass. I will give you guys a full review once I receive it and had a week to play it. I will compare it to my SR4. I'll be back.:bassist:

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've just started working for the Australian importer of Musicman. The SUB 5 string will apparently be available here in January 2004. Im seriously considering getting one as a backup to my Stingray 5.

The finish on the body is deliberately "textured". It's not a shiny smooth laquered finish, and the colour choices are limited. They've also deliberately used painted necks instead of oiled.

But don't forget it's still sounds very much like a Stingray, it's made in the U.S, and it's much cheaper than a Stingray. And I love the pickguard.

We get out first big shipment next week and they're 95% pre-sold.