The New Musicman S.U.B.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by scatman, Jun 15, 2003.

1. scatman

Jun 12, 2003
    Has anyone played the new MusicMan S.U.B.? Oh, My goodness. I checked out Ernie Ball's website and started licking my chops when I saw the price--$645.

To get a MusicMan under $1,000!!!!!! It is passive, which I like. (not a big fan of active).

I was thinking of the OLP (Liscensed by EB, but made in China). But I'm not touching the "made in China" thing. The S.U.B. may be a better investment. The S.U.B., according to EB, is made in the USA. Peace. :hyper:
  2. Lenko

May 3, 2003
    USB Musicman?:eek:
    I hope we'll get firewire version too.:D
  3. Do a search dude, there's been loads of stuff posted about the S.U.B's recently.

Welcome to TB :bassist:
  4. Bazzist

Dec 7, 2002
    Nova Scotia
    tryed one in black almost nails the tone
  5. S.U.B. -sport utility bass
    The 2-band active version is only a little more out-of-pocket, but nails the early 2-band 'Ray sound. The pickguard is cool & the finish is made to take some abuse. If my Warwick FNA weren't already in the same league as this one, I'd buy it.
  6. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i finally came across one today at guitar center,its has an odd finish on the body and neck,kinda like a non-laquered finish almost ruff feeling. but it did play nice :bassist: i must admit and its VERY light for its size:eek: .the only thing i did'nt like was the lack of bottom end punch:meh: ,it had great high's and treble but the bottom end is a bit weak.i tried fiddling w/ the amp but it still did'nt sound like it should have. but non-the less its a well made nicely done bass,and for the price i dont think i would opt for that bass,i would go with some sort of fender japanese re-issue. this is only my opinion,and its not meant to sway anyone's feelings about the bass in question ;)
  7. soularis

Jul 3, 2003
    Illinois, USA
    beautiful bass, sound, construction and finish, a little expensive i think and it seemed that it lacked some bottom end given that it has an active EQ, fretboard is very smooth, nice.
  8. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Huh, I goofed around w/ one of these today at GC. I thoroughly enjoyed the time we shared. Sure, its rather,,, "Industrial" looking. But, it's kinda cool, in an abused sorta way. But, the sound & playability were VERY comfortable.

Kinda has me waffling, on my future choices,,, I'm sure I'll still go Lakland 55-01,, when I get the "Green Light" from the Missus.
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    well, i kinda like it

10. Prahainspring

Oct 22, 2002
    New Jersey
    Sorry to hijack this thread for a moment but are there any Musicman (of any variation) in a Natural Finish?
  11. Yes they make them in natural. see the pic.

and I got the chance to play a music man sub and thought it was pretty good. I agree that it lacks the bottom of the stingray but I usually boost the bass on the stingray to get it to my liking. I think it is a solid and very great playing bass, and the price sticker is nice too. I have a affinity toward jazz bass but if you play one and like it then it would be a good bass for you.
  12. ampzerobass

Aug 10, 2003
    if only they made a 5 string version :p
  13. brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada

oh but they do.
  14. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hmmm, very interesting!
  15. sdguyman

Jan 31, 2003
    San Diego
    I just bought one from a guy selling his here on TalkBass. I will give you guys a full review once I receive it and had a week to play it. I will compare it to my SR4. I'll be back.:bassist:
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've just started working for the Australian importer of Musicman. The SUB 5 string will apparently be available here in January 2004. Im seriously considering getting one as a backup to my Stingray 5.

The finish on the body is deliberately "textured". It's not a shiny smooth laquered finish, and the colour choices are limited. They've also deliberately used painted necks instead of oiled.

But don't forget it's still sounds very much like a Stingray, it's made in the U.S, and it's much cheaper than a Stingray. And I love the pickguard.

We get out first big shipment next week and they're 95% pre-sold.