Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The "New NHL" is turning into a joke.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    In a few years when a lot of these older guys from the real days of hockey start retiring the league is going to start going way downhill (which is an understatement, it's about as low now as you could imagine.)

The game has turned into a joke. Steve Yzerman said it best when he said "It's not even hockey anymore".

The leauge is to blame for the lack of scoring and boring games since the late 90's. There are too many teams, not enough talent, the ridiculas "foot in the crease" rule in 99' (sorry, Dallas never won a real cup even though they should have).

One thing I have noticed is no one hits anymore. The NHL is made up of a bunch of wimps now. They call about 10 penalities a game for each team. The game is just lame now. They made all these rules to increase scoring, but it hasn't increased that much.

And finally why aren't there any FIGHTS anymore? This really isn't hockey. Shame on the NHL.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I absolutely agree. I have totally lost interest in the NHL.....and the NBA....but that is for another time.

3. nateo

nateo Schubie Fan #1

Mar 2, 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I fully and thoroughly disagree with the both of ya. In my mind the new rules have done nothing but speed up and open up the game and, as a Sens fan, this is entirely in my favour. I think the most interesting thing is that in the "new" NHL being bigger isn't necessarily better, but being faster pretty much guarantees success. The big slow defencemen don't have the leeway to slow down the skaters by clutching and grabbing, and that has made the game far more entertaining. Just because the old guys can't keep up doesn't mean it's bad, it just means they're too slow.

As for fighting, I never really liked it in the game to begin with but there have still been a handful of good fights if that's your thing. The biggest problem is that a team can't afford to carry a player who can't contribute anything but a fight each game. There's just too much speed and talent to let a goon play a regular shift, so why not pull up a fourth line winger who can hit instead of a fighter who can barely skate?

I view the league as very much a work in progress. There have been things I like about the new rules (I'm a big fan of the strict calls on stick infractions) and things I don't like (that stupid trapazoid rule). Next year they'll surely change a few things, and they'll likely change a few the year after that. I just hope that this new emphasis on speed and skill carries through and that the game continues to improve because of it.

-Nate

4. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Hockey has been watered down quite a bit...

You used to see a lot of open ice hits... don't see any anymore. Apparently its interference.

The new rules have made the defensemen almost useless... They can't touch the forwards at all without being called for something.

Personally, I liked the grit that the old NHL had... A bunch of guys battling in the neutral zone... A goal really being something to celebrate.

As for fights, I think they are a great strategic part of the game. Why not have a goon to send out there, cause problems with the other team's star, and get them off the ice for 5 minutes? Its not unnecessary violence... Its strategy.

Lets face it... Hockey sold out.

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Good GM's build their teams around the new rules. Bad GM's trot out the same goonish slow players and expect it to work in the new era.

The NHL had to do this. They expanded their product into markets that are not interested in watching the fighting and sluggish play from the early 90's. They are smart for adjusting the game to appeal to a new audience. After all, just like all the old players retiring, old fans are moving on or dying.

-Mike

6. I'd rather watch skilled players moving the puck then guys on skates beating on each other, but that's just me. Not to say that the new NHL has been particularly wonderful (I still prefer Olympic Hockey), but I understand the direction they were trying to go in, and I'm in favor of opening the game up as much as possible.

As for you guys complaining about the lack of fights, watch Slap Shot or something...

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I'd say there is too much of a lack of talent. As said before, there are way too many teams and not enough skill to go around. Hence the NHL started slowing down because of this. It's much easier to defend then attack.

Oh how I miss 80's and early-mid 90's hockey. When was the last time one player scored over 60 goals in a season?

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    To me it seems like the teams are scoring ALL the goals in the first peroid. First like 8 mins of the first peroid.

Yes, they're to many teams.

9. you hit the nail on the head...the NHL had to change because there aren't enough fans to pay the growing contracts of the players! The NHL, although not as tough as it used to be, can move faster, which is what people want to see. I'm sorry if you disagree, but thats the way things are now. If you believe the players deserve more money, then you need to help the league get more money, and the only way that they could think of was to change the rules to keep a fast paced game going. If you have any other ideas, feel free to drop the NHL an email...

10. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Too many penalties being called and that goalie in the corner rule is stupid too. Everything else is still good.

11. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    They could have their fast-paced game (which i like more) and still drop the STUPID instigator rule and all that mess about instigating in the last 5 of the third.

12. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    I'm not sure what you meant by this. So I will ask for clarification before I comment.

You obviously didn't see the Stars/Oilers game last night. Hits were flying left & right.

I disagree with this. There is a lot of talent. I guess unfortuantely some fans only want the talent on the offense so they can see scores in the double digits, and not as it is now equally distributed between offense & defense.

13. I think for the first time in my life I agree with bad brains

14. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Hockey isn't all about laying hits, etc but I wish Sergei Gonchar would pick up the slack a little...

The Pens have way too much talent to be as bad as the are. That's my only gripe on the "new" NHL.

15. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Brett Hulls foot was clearly in the crease when he scored the game winning goal. That entire season every goal scored like that didn't count. But for some reason that goal was magically and randomly allowed.

IF the league never made that ridicules rule to begin with, there would be no controversy, but they did, hence it was a tainted cup and not a real championship.

16. Heh, I hear you on that one.

17. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I think the NHL is doing ok. The new rule changes were necessary to open up the neutral zone and eliminate "the trap" that had become so popular the last few years. There's just something about seeing the old two line pass actually work that makes me think the NHL has done something right. I was originally for having the NHL go to 4 on 4 play, ditching the 4th liners and only having 3 full lines to work with, but that's like blasphemy to a lot of people. I agree that there's too many teams, but once you have a team in a city it's tough to get rid of 'em.

As far as fighting goes, heck go watch a boxing match if that's what you want. Hockey is about speed, talent, skill, and teamwork, not throwing punches. It has it's place, but it's not what the game is about. :)

AuG

18. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    The puck was clearly in the crease before Brett's foot was hence making the goal legit.

19. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Wrong.

The way the rules were at that particular time, it was not a goal. Look it up, it's true.

They quickly changed the rules, the following year it would have counted.

20. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Links?