1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The "New NHL" is turning into a joke.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Just go to ESPN, look up the archives. There was a huge deal for weeks following that game.

During the regular season that goal would have never counted. The only reason it did was because it was a tripple overtime goal and everyone jumped out onto the ice for celebration. They weren't going to review it or call it a non-goal by that point.

Weeks later the NHL would claim they did review it and that Hull somehow had possession of the puck despite their zero tolerance crease rule at the time. All season goals like Hulls were being called back.

2. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    If I remember correctly the rule stated that if the puck was in the crease before the players skate then any goal resulting from the play would count.:confused: :eyebrow:

3. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I'm trying to look it up right now but can't find much. Perhaps someone who's better at finding stuff can have better luck.

That was a while ago, but 98-99 was the season where almost every goal was reviewed, slowing things up, calling back many goals.

I believe there was a no tolerence rule in place, with the foot in the crease after the puck rule being put in place the 99-2000 season.

With the Hull goal, his foot was already in the crease when he knocked the Mike Modano rebound in. The NHL would later claim it counted because he had possession, which again is debatable. Most believe the NHL didn't bother to review the play due to the celebration on the ice. Could you have imagined what would have happened had they put the goal under review and then possibly called it back? Wasn't going to happen.....

All said it done, it's still a tainted cup. Which is a shame because that Dallas team could have won a regular cup had the NHL not messed with the rules.

Which backs up my point on why the league has gone downhill. It has only itself to blame.

4. That was the rule, however I believe his skate was in first upon review. I remember hearing earlier that season, might have even been cherry, that something like that was going to happen. The foot in the crease rule would have something to do about the cup

5. tbone0813

tbone0813 The faithless say farewell when the road darkens.

Aug 6, 2005
    Grand Prairie, TX.
    That's what it was. He had posession of Mike's rebound before he entered the crease. I remember now.:D