Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The new Nine Inch Nails album "With Teeth" is awful

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by tekhna, Apr 17, 2005.

1. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I am sure some of you have seen the entire album has leaked.
    So being the NIN fanatic I am, I have listened to it 4 times in the last 24 hours, only to come to the conclusion that it is simply not a good album. Musicially it is uninteresting, repetitive and vapid. Trent has somehow managed in the past to use ideas and song structures in a way that never turned formulaic-He fails miserably here. The song Every Day is Exactly the Same should be renamed Every Song is Exactly the Same.
    The drumming is awful. When Dave Grohl is not sounding incredibly out of place, the drumming is an obnoxious disco beat that just sounds almost farcical. The few songs songs that are actually pretty decent are overshadowed by the dreadful.
    His vocals seem to have declined in quality in a signficant way. His falsetto that often worked so well is very overused and very obviously auto corrected.
    The only real redeeming aspect to me of this album is the incredibly heavy fuzz bass that drives a lot of the songs, but even then it often makes tracks sound like dance numbers.

/rant.

2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    After having "Bite the Hand that Feeds" and seeing the video...I can't say I was impressed very much with the music. Now, Trent's looking way better than he used to -- much healthier, and he's clearly hit the gym. Musically, it did nothing for me...especially after having watched videos for The Perfect Drug, Head Like A Hole, and the oh-so-awesome "I'm Afraid Of Americans" with David Bowie.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Ahhh Off Topic... the new Recordings

4. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i actually liked the new single, but i havent heard the rest of the album yet. and dave grohl seems to be everywhere nowadays.

this coming from someone who only likes one other NIN song, that being head like a hole, just cause of the bass.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Trent Reznor released a free download of 'the hand that feeds' in garageband format so you can open it up and see all the individual tracks for it and tinker with it as much as you want. Very cool thing to do, but I'm not looking forward to the waves and waves of bad remixes of that song that I'm bound to hear.

6. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Another non-NIN fan here giving the new single a thumbs up.

7. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I'm sure Trent counts his blessings that he has such dedicated "fanatics" such as yourself.

I'd love to see a diagram of the twisted logic involved in your whole process there.

Willgroove: watch the forthcoming justification-fest, it'll be fun.

9. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK

10. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    I am a member of ASCAP and make part of my living from songwriting and production,the other parts are bass playing and teaching.i say that to say this;when you illegally obtain music it is stealing.unless trent reznor "leaked" the album himself downloading and listening to it "4 times in 24 hr's" is stealing just like you broke into someones house and took their thing's.as far as what you think of the music it really dosn't matter,your entitled to your opinion, but think about this;maybe what your hearing wasn't done or wasn't the final mix. i have worked on cd projects where we had 4-5 mix's of the cd to pick from who knows if the "leaked" one is the final mix? matt garrison(garrisonjazz.com) has a plea on his site asking people not to bootleg his music because if they do he won't be able to make any more and i think that's sad that he HAD to put that on there.while i don't think that NIN are in the same boat i do think that it is not right for someone who say's their a "fanatic" to comment on music that they obtained illegally

11. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Im sorry but I still cannot see how his method of obtaining the music changes the validity of his opinion about the quality of the music.

I do not think that stealing music is right - I don't do it myself. Nevertheless it is anathema to logic to suggest that one's opinion on the quality of music (which is about as subjective an opinion as you can get) is somehow dependant on how that music was obtained. If I obtain music as a gift is my opinion of it less valid than if I bought it? How about if a friend lends the CD to me and I listen to it and decide its crap - is that less valid again?

Consider: If the original poster did not say how the original music was obtained, but he did infact steal it (you just didnt know it), would your opinion of his opinion be any different?

Edit: Just to be absolutely clear I am not saying that stealing the music was right. I also agree that to base your opinion of the final product off the "pirated" version is jumping the gun since you really don't know what you have in your hands. All I am saying is that his opinion of what he hears should not be dependant on how he obtained the music. If Trent personally hand delivered the "copy" with a blessing to listen and critique it, he probably still would have found it to be bad.

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Mark - I'm not saying that his opinion is dependent on anything.

I'm saying

a) whether I want to hear his opinion
    b) whether or not I give it any credit once I do

are.

13. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I've heard a few tunes off of the new one. I think it's pretty damn good. But I like just about everthing Trent has done so far.

14. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Thats probably why I didnt quote you. ;)

15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    This is why opinions are a wonderful thing. I've heard 4 songs so far (all legal - the two digital releases, and two legitimate streams) and I'm seriously digging what I've been hearing.

I love "The Fragile" to death, but it's nice to have some back-to-basics songs without a huge amount of production and layering. To me, what I've heard so far sounds like some of the beats and "danciness" of "Pretty Hate Machine" has been fused with the aggression and guitars of "The Downward Spiral".

...and that, my friends, is a very good thing. However, I hold final judgment until I can listen to the 5.1 mix on May 3rd. Somehow I doubt that is going to hurt the production. :D

16. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    What about the quite valid point that the listener of downloaded music is most likely listening to mp3s or other compressed format, which most certainly does effect the "quality" of the music in terms of production?

While this might not affect the judging of "songwriting" per say, I would think listening to a sonically inferior version of any song would, at the very least, help sway someone into the "negative" column. Good song or bad, inferior sonics cannot help but form a negative opinion.

17. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004

That is what I thought at first, but then you realize how cheesey it is, and how sloppy it is. He had 6 years to put this album together, and it is a pretty poor effort for six years. I loved everything he has done to this point, I just think Nine Inch Nails is no longer on the cutting edge. The stripped down thing might have worked, if it hadn't stripped away the good stuff!
    As for pirating music, I am not going to have that discussion but all I will say is I am pretty confident Trent Reznor is not hurting as a result of any and all music piracy.

18. I think that The Hand that Feeds could have been so much better if it didn't have the techno-ish drumming.

He did, however, strike something new and good with Beside You in Time.

Still, the album is more like a collection of singles. Trent seems to be really passionate about it, though, and claims that he loves it very much. And I honestly don't think the album is bad, I enjoy it. But it's no Broken EP.