1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The new PJB BG300 - news?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by derrenleepoole, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Just wondering when the liking release date of the amp is likely to be, especially in the UK? Info of PJB website is a little lacking, if tantalising ;)

2. RColie

RColie Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    I live in St. Louis near Phil Jones' location, and I had a chance to see and play through the BG300. Very nice indeed. Their estimate is that it will be out in May. I don't know if there will be a delay getting it to the UK.

Bob

3. OldogNewTrick

OldogNewTrick

Dec 28, 2004
    Germany, EU
    I've played both the BG-150 and the BG-300 at the Sandberg booth during Musikmesse, pics are here.

Considering the noise levels of the fair, the BG-300 articulated on a Sandberg JB-5 surprisingly well, even at maxed out volume, the B string only overwhelmed the speakers when really digging in or turning up the bass EQ. Nice.
    What really amazed me was the little BG-150, which was not all that far away from the BG-300. You had to exercise a bit more restrain with the EQ and B-string.

Both very nice for acoustic gigs, coffee house and other low volume work. Maybe even the ultimate bedroom amp ?

Any decent 210 with one of the new class D amps will kill them though as soon as a drummer is involved...

Still, I wouldn't mind having one... :cool:

4. This has always been my problem with the Jones stuff... reasonably even and nice sounding, but the small stuff is, at best, practice amp level, and the larger stuff similarly doesn't hold a candle to similarly sized more traditional designs.

I remember spending some time with the 6Pak in the past. It sounds pretty good, but volume-wise is reminded me of a 210 cab (at the most).. and it weighed as much as a 610:rollno:

That being said, I'd enjoy checking out the new 8b... seems reasonable weight and SPL and size... however, it's about the size and weight of an Epi410UL or BergAE410... I have a feeling it's not even in the same universe as those cabs regarding low end response and volume with a moderate powered head.....

5. The BG300 looks ideal for me. I have considered the Suitcase, which I've tried and was blown away by, especially with the extension cab, but the weight to power ratio just doesn't justify the volumes it can produce. The BG300 looks like it fits my bill perfectly - lightweight, powerful enough for me (at least), and very portable.

I bet it's gonna cost a fortune ;)

6. Just make sure you at least try some of the other amazing options out there... combining, for example, a neo 112 made by Bergantino, Epifani, etc., with one of the amazing new micro amps made by Markbass, Genz Benz, etc. Amazing stuff, loud, light, even, and probably double the volume with similar clean, clear tone for the same or less money.

7. Funny you should say that, I have been looking for a head to go with my Schroeder 12 cab. I'll confess, the choice is baffling, and with no real way to test any of them (UK is really sh*te sometimes) I would want to be sure of making the best choice/decision. That's were TB comes in I guess :)

8. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    I only know the new Neo PJB's, from the combos to the separate cabs. All the volume and low end in their size class for my use....but a tone beyond any other.

9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    I've been gigging a 1212L (I think... it's a light 2-12) for the last couple of weeks and it puts out an amazing amount of sound with my Markbass LMII. It doesn't have the low mid push I get from my regular (Nahas cabs) rig but so far I haven't come across a gig where this cab alone wouldn't work fine. Couple that with the fact that I walked into my last gig with the cab in one hand, my amp/tools bag in the other and a bass over my shoulder... and it was very little work doing so... and I think I'll deal with the compromise.

I can barely have the LMII up before it hit's the "too loud" zone.

10. Prior to my current head of the Ashdown Superfly, I was running a LM250, LMII's little brother. A fabulous head, but I found I was lacking headroom. An opportunity arose to run a Superfly with an additional borrowed cab, so I took it. When running 2 cabs, the Superfly will certainly pump out lots of volume, but one cab and it's simply weak. The LM250 is/was a lot louder by comparison. As I no longer have access to a second cab at the moment, I'm thinking of a knew head for the Schroeder and getting rid of the Superfly, and a new small lightweight combo for home/small gig use. Hence my interest in the BG300. I have considered the LMII, but with the new Genz Benz, Epifani's etc all coming out, it's now suddenly a mind field of choice - which is great, but also bad - if you know what I mean, especially if you don't have a luxury of testing them. All have good and bad points, while offering roughly the same level of performance. :confused:

I must confess, I'm like you, I can walk into any gig with bass and gear bag over one shoulder, and the cabinet in my hands. Simple and beautiful :)

11. I've done many a gig with the 1212L and LMII... just stunningly loud for its size. That extreme low mid voicing just got to me after a while, and I moved on to toehr stuff, but it is, IMO, the ALL TIME king of small, light and loud. It won't shake the house, but there isn't a situation that it can't handle volume-wise. The LMII mid center points are also voiced pretty well to even that cab out... a touch of boost in the bass, a touch of low mids dialed out (that cab seems to just scream at around 250 hz), a touch of hi mids boosted, and it starts to sound pretty even and good to me. Nice cab!

12. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I just got an PJB 8B fro Atlanta Bass Gallery. Using an AI Focus amp the PJB does not have the intensity/SPL of the my EA NL-210 but....

THE TONE is there;)

I'm hearing nuances I've never heard in my basses (upright and electric).

I guess a gig will be the final frontier/verdict.

13. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Borrow a Markbass F1 and try that with it. The LMII is nice, but the F1/Neo8B is da zheat, IMHO of course.

14. warnan

warnan

Mar 1, 2004
    Shanghai,China
    just got my super flightcase this afternoon. very well constructed little combo smaller than my warwick bc30 and also lighter than bc30. Just pluged in and played for 20 minutes, very quiet and tight sound. i tested with a jbass and 6stirng active bass. still have same question about pjb product is it real 250watts? can't believe what the manual said. i also have a bassbuddy and love it too.

Attached Files:

15. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    We've completed our power testing on the M300...and you'll be able to see how it stacks up against the big Genz Benz and Mesa M6 heads in our first issue...

16. R Baer

R Baer Commercial User

Jun 5, 2008
    President, Baer Amplification
    ...speaking of that first issue... :ninja:

17. macmrkt

macmrkt Banned

Dec 4, 2002
    Should be out in the next 4 weeks - for real. Everything moved along according to plan, till we ran into several months delay regarding questions about electronic and acoustic testing. We kinda had to reinvent the wheel when it comes to real lab data for amps and especially cabinets. We're the first to publish comprehensive independent testing of bass gear as far as we can tell. All data is NOW IN! Just need to wrap up a few subjective tests and the last of the layout. More than half the 100+ pages are done and the rest are coming in quick. Good news is that with our testing done and formats set, we can stay closer to an every 2 month schedule...in fact, we're deep into testing already on the gear for issue 2 and 3. Thanks for hanging in everyone...we think you'll be very pleased...