1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The new primus album is out!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Gojiberry22, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Gojiberry22

Gojiberry22

Jul 14, 2017
    Although they've slowly released a track a day over the past week I've been holding back for today so I can listen to it in its entirety.

Tracks like "The scheme" cought my attention and enthusiasm for the band and the instrument immediately.

Have you guys listened to the album yet? What do you think?

pcake and Whousedtoplay like this.
  2. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    I am listening/re-listening and I like it very much.
    Current Primus - it’s a Huge Moodishly - characteristic and stylishly well crafted Vision wrapped in an amazingly-animated Disneyland’s gift paper.
    Not for everyone.

Gojiberry22 likes this.
  3. Gojiberry22

Gojiberry22

Jul 14, 2017
    Yeah it's great, it feels really full and orchestral. Although I think this may be they're most excessively work yet.

Whousedtoplay likes this.
  4. Whousedtoplay

Whousedtoplay

May 18, 2013
    TEXAS
    Yes, this album is the most stylishly-cleaned and "no-unrefined" spots left release from Primus.

5. hopsbb

hopsbb

Nov 8, 2014
    Really like it. I've listened to the album about 3 times now.

6. I've been listening to the album for the past few weeks, and going to see them next week in Richmond. When the album was announced, I bought the Rainbow Goblins book and have been reading it with my kids. My son (almost 4) has been requesting the "Goblin music" in the car!

It's good to have Herb back on the drums, his expansive & intricate playing is an integral component of the Primus sound. This will be my first Primus show with Herb on drums, though I did see him play with the Frog Brigade at the first Bonnaroo!

All-in-all, it sounds like classic Primus. Old fans will like it. People that don't like Primus, still won't like 'em.

7. Skeezix

Skeezix

Sep 28, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Did someone say "Rainbow Goblins?"

8. I will add, the opening track has one of the most cringe-worthy bowed bass parts in recorded history. I assume that was the intention, but as a doubler it gets me every time.

9. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Their King Crimson influence is showing. I'd say it's the best record they've put out in a very, very, long time.

10. I’ve been listening to a lot of Primus lately. I’m liking the new album so far, my favorite song is “the seven.” I love the bass tone in that song, it sounds so Geddy-ish.

11. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    i didn't know about it till i saw this post. we're listening now, and so far i'm loving it.

12. Dec1975

Dec1975

Aug 30, 2006
    Cedar Park, TX
    I hadn't planned on checking this album out. I wasn't a fan of post-Herb Primus. Rather, I was a big fan of Herb's playing (side note, my first rock concert was Primus with Rush- I'd been drumming about 5 years when that happened). I"ll be picking this up.

13. It was the best Primus (or any Les Claypool band - Oysterhead, Frog Brigade, Bucket of Bernie Brains) show I've ever seen. The show I'd been waiting >20yr to see! If you're into Primus and they're coming to your town, go see it.

One of their recent shows is on YouTube:

14. Gojiberry22

Gojiberry22

Jul 14, 2017
    Oh wow they perform the album in its entirety, that's pretty cool

15. gustophersmob

gustophersmob

Jun 9, 2015
    Saw them last night in Cincinnati. Good show. The new album will definitely have to grow on me, seemed a little repetitive after awhile. That aside, excellent musicians. One of the tightest live acts I've seen.