Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The New Revised Mexican Deluxe Jazz

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, Oct 11, 2004.

1. Has anyone tried the new Deluxe Active Jazz with the Noiseless pickups? I'm really anxious to try one. I tried the single-pole one and loved it, I'm expecting more out of this one. Thanks for your time.

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I must admit it looks real interesting! I love the new color and would love to try one out. I own the older version with the 1/4 inch slug pups. At the time I own too many MIA dlx basses to warrant getting one of those even if I was floored after I tried it, But again I love the way it looks!

3. interesting, i love the active jazz's but i hate the dinky/smaller bodied ones...i prefer the larger body of the mexi's...my teacher has used his deluxe active mexi for the last 12 years...he own a few other fenders and first year squiers..vintage white looks good

4. Booooooo!!!!

I had the older one.. In Artic White (which looked awesome)

I fished out the stock pups and replaced them with J + MM Seymour Duncan Pups.

not a fan of the 'vintage' white stuff..

Bring back the artic fender!!!
    BOOO!!!

:D

5. In a couple of months I'll be getting a new bass, and I want this or a used Am. Deluxe Jazz. Do the new Deluxe Actives (MIM) have the "old (Fender Noiseless, not Bill Lawrence)" pickups AND preamp, or just the same pickups? Didnt they get the pickups and pre because the new Am. Deluxes got the FMT 18v pre? Which one would you get, used "older" Am. Deluxe Jazz or new Deluxe Active. Does the Am. Deluxe play that much better?

6. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I'll try to answer your questions since I have all the basses and pups you speak of. The "new" MIM dlx jazz has the "noiseless"pups that were in the MIA jazz from 1999 to 2003, in 2004 the MIA basses got the SCN or Samarium Cobalt Noiseless pups in all Dlx basses. The MIM dlx prior to that had the 1/4 inch slugs and MIA electronics although I don't think it has the same pre-amp as the MIA dlx bass. Now in 1997-98 the pups and pre-amp in the MIA dlx jazz bass were designed by John Suhr of Pensa/Suhr Fame. Suhr left Fender in 98 thus the change in pre-amp and pups. As far as the MIA dlx bass playing better, Yes by leaps and bounds! it's like a Chevy or a Caddy, both will get you there but it's more fun, comfortable to the touch, more refined sound, and all around more solid bass period! I have the MIM dlx and for the longest time I said to myself I didn't need the MIA dlx jazz, Then my 98 MIA jazz came along and there is no comparison in sound.
    Being I just about have them all I can't tell you which one to get without knowing your budget, but I would still LOVE to hear the new dlx MIM bass! I think Fender has just given us a MIA sounding dlx jazz at a MIM dlx jazz price!

7. Ok, thanks. When the time comes I think I'll spring for a American Deluxe in Chrome Red with Rosewood. Although I love Candy Apple Red more. :crying:

8. Anyone try one yet?

9. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    i think id shed tears of joy if they made a fretless model...but i'm not expecting one.

10. raycer

raycer

Mar 22, 2004
    Orange County, NY
    I was looking at one the other day. Sounds promising. Can't wait to try it when I go back to the shop.

11. Dadio

Dadio

Dec 30, 2000
    Uxbridge, Canada
    Hi Guys - I bought the MIM Jazz Deluxe about a month ago !!!. Its a great looking Vintage White (almost like Banana Yellow) with Tortoise pickguard. I had a '96 Sunburst MIA Jazz bass but I always thought it was a bit trebly for my liking. I know this may sound stupid, but I fell in love with the look of that MIM when I saw it on the wall, I traded the MIA in on the new MIM and I'm really pleased with the versatility of sounds I can get out of new bass, ranging from sounds fairily close to, (but not quite) Precision sounds as well as some great growly J sounds. You can dial in a lot of great sounds. No more trebly sound - its really warm sounding across the board and has nice punch to it. It comes with a Deluxe gig bag. The "noiseless" Pickups sound great, but there are times when there is a little 60 cycle hum. Not really noticable unless you are practicing solo. I also found I like the neck on the MIM better, it seems a bit thinner than my old MIA. From a quality perspective I'm happy, the only thing I could criticize about the fit-finish is that there's a small gap where the chrome control plate meets the pickguard, but Ive seen a few Vintage Jazz basses with the same gap and Im not really worried about it. Mine came with a "brown" tort guard, and some of the lower layers of the guard seemed to be light green. I happened to have a new '62 Red tort guard lying around from my old bass so I put that one on and I think it looks much nicer. My old bass is still hanging there in the store unsold. I took it down to try it the other day and it confirmed to me I like the feel of the MIM much better. Not sure if I got a good deal (Pretty well straight trade) but Im getting use of this new bass, when the old one sat in its case most of the time .... Anyhow thats my opinion .....

12. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound

Okay, That tears it! I hate you! :)
    You know the rules buddy, new basses get new pics!
    Oh, congrats!

13. Dadio

Dadio

Dec 30, 2000
    Uxbridge, Canada
    Here she is !! - It looks really white in the pic, but is actually yellow like ...

14. Sweet Dadio! Thanks for the review! That looks awesome, but Candy Apple Red, I love Candy Apple Red!