the new role of a bassist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bprestonjr, Oct 13, 2002.

1. bprestonjr

Oct 11, 2002
    I only picked up my first bass a year ago but I've always been intersted,now I'm serious in performing now that I have time and money.Bass players were normally in the dark as far as rock music is concerned.Does everyone agree that the bass is just important as the flashy 6-stringer lead or the coky lead singer?
  2. FatCity

Apr 30, 2002
    Lexington, SC
    Endorsing Artist: Howard's Crispy Fried Chicken Skins
    Hey, easy there. Some of us cocky lead singers are bassists :D
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I don't think the role has changed.
    Our job is still to hold the band together.
  4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I just have a hard time understanding why bassists as a whole have such a huge confidence issue. Are we really that freakin' neurotic?

All musicians are capable of being valuable. The question is, what do you contribute to your band? That will give you the answer, right there.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Your role is as you define it. If you want to take a backseat, there is ample opportunity. If you want to be out front, you can do that as well. Yes the door has opened, but there is no and never really has been some stone tablet saying "the bassist shalt....blah blah blah". Be whatever you want.
  6. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Naw the bass isn't important at all. Really I don't see why bands have bassists at all...

:D :D :D
  7. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
  8. the doors didn't have a bass player........
  9. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    Let's say music is food, and all the musicians are ingrediants or materials.
    All melodies are basically the flavor, like the icing, the sugar, the actual taste of the cake.
    Rythm is how that cake got put together, the cookie cutter, the rolling pin, if you haven't got rythm, you've got just mush (trance music).
    Now the low end, bass, that's the part that fills you up. It's what makes the cake tangible and nutricious. If you have no bass, sure the cake might taste great, but you'd be left feeling empty.

So yes a band can do without a bassist, but it'd be pointless. Even small string, brass, woodwind ensembles have some sort of a lowend, something to give it weight. Hell, have you noticed Jack White's awesome command of the bottom strings of his guitar?
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    XTC doesn't have a drummer.

The function did not change.
  11. Without bass you'd just keep falling, or get lost depending on your location.:rolleyes: :D
  12. biting_nails

biting_nails Guest

Sep 10, 2002
    queensland, australia
    they had a bass synth which sounds very much like a bass guitar, so its basically the same thing...
  13. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    And I head Dream Theater doesen't have drummer.. I checked the booklet of their latest album and there was some guy playing something called 'Lead Drums'..

I wonder, wouldn't drums made of lead be very heavy?
  14. AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    The doors didn't really need a bass player, they had an organist to provide a lowend.
  15. ...just as important? yes.

but we're not annoying, insecure, or easily replaced like they are.

:D:eek: ;)
  16. QTraXQ

QTraXQ Guest

Aug 16, 2002
    San Antonio, TX
    The Doors did use a Bass player on some songs. But they didn't need one on most songs due to the Organ/Keyboard.
  17. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Nicely put, Bliss!
  18. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  19. chris griffiths

chris griffiths

Aug 20, 2002
    nashville tn
    Endorsing artist: Gallien Krueger
    come on you guys it's just notes. your notes are lower then everyone elses. thats the role of the bass player. to hit low notes no one else can hit. to stoop lower then anyone else and make sense out of it. You wanna see a bass player do his job? check out van halen. See Mike? sure he's not marcus miller over there but he's counteracting the wanky wanky sounds on the right side of the stage by pounding big fat quarter notes. that makes him real important because other wise we'd have no idea whats going on.. really fills out the sound