1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The NEW Slap Bass Welcome Center

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by bopeuph, Jan 3, 2017.

1. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    I was browsing this forum and noticed the stickied thread at the top, and the vast majority of the links are dead. I was going to message the original poster to update the links, but it looks like he hasn't been around for over a year. So I figured I'd go ahead and start a fresh topic; one that has updated links.

I was going to go search for the original files to all the dead links, but how about we start completely fresh, since YouTube is infinitely more relevant to society and there were very few YouTube links in the beginning? Further, there are so many new people in the game now, and the resources are much better than they were a decade ago.

I don't follow a lot of video lessons, but these are ones I would recommend to my students. Though, I will admit that I haven't watched many of these all the way through--there's a lot of videos!

The list has a couple of good lesson videos at the very top, followed by the gurus of slap bass giving their own take on the subject.

So, without further ado, here it is:

The NEW Slap Bass Welcome Center!

1.) Scott's Bass Lessons slap bass video playlist

2.) Talking Bass How To Play Slap Bass #1

3.) Larry Graham's Super Bass Slapping

The dude who started it all. Seems fitting to put him near the top.

4.) Louis Johnson - Slap Bass Lesson

5.) Victor Wooten Bass Technique (video 1 of 4, other videos linked)

6.) Flea - Slap bass lesson from his instructional video

7.) Buddha Bill Dickens - Funk Bass and Beyond

rufus.K and Pumpkin like this.
  2. kkaarrll

kkaarrll

Jun 1, 2014
    great job

3. bopeuph

bopeuph

Jul 3, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Thanks! I should be either practicing or researching, and this is my way of goofing off.

4. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    I just finished watching the Larry Graham video last night, lol. He's inspiring and he has a great back story. At 15 years old, Larry developed Slap bass out of necessity from the lack of a drummer while he was playing gospel with his mother... Unbelievable!
    Now I'm working on learning the bass line to the song Family Affair by Sly and the Family Stone.

5. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    When people become their own historians, I always wonder how much of their history is reality. Not that I don't believe any of it, but I do take his story with a grain of salt, just now. Might take years to learn the reality, which may be 100% accurate to his video.

Either way, Larry Graham is the man.

6. Pumpkin

Pumpkin

May 19, 2016
    Washington, DC
    Back when I was first learnign slap, I found all of these videos independently. Man, the time this thread can save!

7. GastonD

GastonD

Nov 18, 2013
    Belgrade, Serbia
    I will add my favorite video on the subject.

bopeuph likes this.
  8. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    I believe it. I don't see why he would have a reason to lie about it.

Clark Dark, Jhengsman and Basstards like this.
  9. RNG1

RNG1

Mar 1, 2015
    I'm actually not a big slap guy personally however I like to listen to guys time to time who I think make a real musical approach and balance the percussive and melodic with a unique voice. Of course Victor is a master in that sense. Sometimes when driving I listen to a Victor Wooten Pandora channel created and discovered someone who every time he comes on I have to take a look and see who it is and it's a guy named Doug Johns. What a great player and tone. Also I've heard Brian Bromberg on this channel a lot that really made me take notice. He's a master of every kind of slap style (upright etc)

10. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Subbed

11. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    He played with keyboards and no drums. First time I've heard anyone express doubt in his story.
    :)

Clark Dark and Basstards like this.
  12. enricogaletta

enricogaletta

May 21, 2011
    Hey Bopeuph, thank you for starting this fantastic thread.
    I would like to share with everyone some new slap grooves from my channel.
    Cheers. Enrico

13. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496

Dec 14, 2014
    Thanks for starting this forum. I use my fingers or a pick mostly but figured I'd give slapping a go especially after watching the Larry Graham vid. Scott's instruction on the wrist action also gave me some insight. After listening to Sly Stone's song Family Affair and the whole Riot album I noticed that Mr. Graham kept it simple but tight with the drummer. It occurred to me that it's not about how many notes you play but where you play them in relation to the song that makes it funky. After recording my video I noticed some ringing which means I need to work on my palm muting. Here it is anyway...

14. BassAndReeds

BassAndReeds Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2016
    For a self professed beginner slapper, that's pretty tasty. Well done.

15. Radio

Radio Gold Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2010
    New Haven, CT
    And don't forget MarloweDK