Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The new Slipknot CD: Who's got it? Comments?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I haven't been much of a Slipknot fan since Mate.Feed.Kill.Repeat., but I'm curious as to what people think of the new stuff. I thought that parts of the eponymous CD were fun, but I thought Iowa just plain sucked. Does The Subliminal Verses continue the downward spiral into total suckness, or is it an improvement from Iowa?

2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I like it, it reminds me of the eponymous Cd. It's not like Iowa AT ALL. In fact, I rate it higher than the second disc.

3. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Can you actually hear the DJ, Sampler, and two extra percussionists? I don't think they were even on Iowa.

4. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    I have no idea what the random extra guys are up to, I just think the songwriter is a lot better. You can definetly hear samples, not sure whose making them or if they are just studio magic type samples though.

5. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Yes... Yes it does.

At least In My Opinion. I liked "Duality," but that's it.

6. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    I listened to some of the clips on iTunes, and it seems... soft. The vocals don't seem angry enough, there's guitar wankery, and acoustic guitar!? The money from Stone Sour seems to have had some effect on the rest of the Slipknot gang, methinks.

I think I may have to chalk up Slipknot as a band with lots of potential to make some mindbending music, yet failed.

7. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    First off...cool new avatars Benjamin and Blisshead. Benjamin...why'dya get rid of that creepy one?

I just bought it blind so to speak. I've never heard any Slipknot before but I see them everywhere round where I live so I thought what the heck?!

It seems to be cool stuff but I was hoping for more of a bass presence. I really like the opening song...kind of an intro it seems like.

8. ColdYinTiger

ColdYinTiger

Jul 15, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I love the new cd, yes there are more soft spots in it but it has an overall more haunting feel then the other records. I really wasn't a fan of the first cd. I love brutal music, but the songwriting in it was lacking and it seemed very unfocused, as well as chaotic, but not in a good, Dillinger Escape Plan, kinda way. I liked Iowa but the overall feel of it is a bit disapointing now, it seemed to clean recording wise, not that lovely midway point in clearity and dingey.

I loved the mild wanking in the new cd, I know both guitarist are very good but they never really showed it in the others. The bass seems a bit fuller sounding but a bit more in the background now, like he added more lowmid's to his sound rather then going the more scooped route on Iowa.

To me the new cd seems more atmospheric then the others, darker and has a feel of decay to it.

9. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Let me start by saying that it was my son who turned me on to Slipknot and I have 3 albums ripped into my laptop. One is just called Slipknot I think. The other 2 are Iowa and the new one. I prefer the new album as it is more listenable for a 39 year old guy that really isn't all that angry. I guess you wouldn't say I am a true fan but I do listen to them when the mood strikes. It is very effective for keeping people away from my desk at work. :D
    I think the Duality track could have used a little more keg in the mix. :)

10. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    That one comment speaks volumes. Based on that I think I will pass. :D

11. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i bet its awful. actually i know it is. and i havent heard it.

12. Josh Ryan

Mar 24, 2001
    Yeah, if your just looking for angry this isn't for you. It is however, their darkest, which is more what I'm looking for.

thanks Rumzini, it's a self portrait.

13. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    No thanks,after MFKR I gave up. -Luke

14. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    I've listened to it, I like it, I do hear the Stone Sour "money maker" influence on it. I do like that there are some guitar leads on it, even though I remember reading in a Guitar world a few years back that Mick, despite being an awesome lead player, didn't feel that Slipknot needed or wanted leads...

I went to go buy it, but then saw the new Fear Factory album, and had to buy it instead. It actually is quite good, even after being dropped by RR.

15. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    According to my drummer (can you trust him? yes) = "Competition from other Nu-Metal bands have led them to create an album that sucks, but surprisingly features some odd times and impressive drumming chops".

16. Lazlo Panaflex

Lazlo Panaflex

Sep 30, 2003
    New Slipknot CD = Really Un-Heavy

Im a fan of the first two cd's this one is just not heavy/lame. The guitars are really week, and the lyrics which were never that great on any of the albums are probably the lamest on this one.

17. In my opinion Duality was the only track on the whole CD that kept their Nu-Metal signature sound (think Wait and Bleed), and therefore, the only track I actually liked. The Stone Sour influence is definitely there, and I think half the CD would have been better as an actual second Stone Sour release. Other than that, it sounds like they tried to go a little more "real" Metal on a few tracks, and then a few tracks were their little filler horror house tracks, and I could even hear a little Murder Dolls influence in some of it, I think. Overall, I'm not sure who would like this CD. IMO, most Slipknot fans are going to be alienated by this release and the Stone Sourish and Murderdollish tracks, and most Stone Sour fans would think it had too much Slipknot to it, to buy it, and I don't think the Murderdolls had any fans. :smug: I liked Slipknot's self titled album, loved Iowa, and was just confused by this one. After hearing Duality I was psyched for a great album and then heavily let down after getting it. Gotta give this one the thumbs down, but you'll never know unless you check it out for yourself.

18. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I will admit that I liked the First Disc, Hated the Second, and Loved the Third... Not that I dont concider "Death Metal" Music, but... NOW they sound like they are making some Music. Actual Song's, Vocal Harmony, a Solo...

Its a good CD but it only really makes me want to hear what they got next...

19. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    BTW, IMHO it dosent matter if they "Evolve" into somthing else, because as I hear it, its getting better...

Other Music that may explain why:

Dream Theater
    Liquid Tension Experiment
    Pain of Salvation
    Rush
    Virgil Donati
    Jaco Pastorius
    Tony MacAlpine
    King Crimson
    Return to Forever
    Tool

20. I heard it. I liked it. End of story.