1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The new song I wrote for my band is 10 minutes long

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Are we prog yet?

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    10 minutes? Nah...still at "Tool Wannabe" stage.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    [​IMG]

4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    14 minutes! ha!

5. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    omg the marz volta do 10 minute long songs too!!1 THEY PROG HARDCORE LOL.

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    *Looks for capes. Finds none*

Nope.

bc

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Come back and talk to us once your drummer buys a gong.

8. "The Green Manalishi" Live By Fleetwood Mac: 18 minutes with a 14 minutes drumsolo. One of my all time favorites.

I look at it this way: If it's a good song you have 10 minutes of good music and if it's a bad song, you stink for 10 minutes. So, you better make it good.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

My drummer bought a beer BONG, does that count?

10. Syeknom

Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    Lord no.

11. Ahahaha! That was definitely a befuddling part of seeing Dream Theater live 2 years ago....between that and the sheer size of Mike Portnoy's kit, it's what I call OVERKILL.

12. What are you talking about? That is the most essential part of the music.........

Strawberry Ice Cream is looking very good right now....

13. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I'm pretty sure that the guys from Amon Duul never have had a 'beer bong'.

If you can't get the gong, then maybe a triple decker set of chimes and a set of rotos and octos would work.

14. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Speaking as a former percussion performance major, you really need a couple of timpani and a vibraphone or marimba before your drummer hits the prog level.

15. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    My band plays for 25 minutes straight, but it's a medley. I bet that doesn't count, now does it?

16. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

DAMN, I almost missed this:

[​IMG]

That outfit had a CAPE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

teh pR0gzorz!

It was very hot too... :oops: :meh:

17. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY

Dude, that's not prog rock.

Its ren fest.

18. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    fantasy metal at most

19. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    I laughed at this because, back in the day when I first got started, I was playing in two bands simultaneously. One was a Rush tribute band, before such things were even called tribute bands. The other had a much wider focus with many covers, some originals, and a stylistic range from MoTown to Metal (such as it was at that time, read that as Iron Maiden, Dio, et al)

The drummer from the more versatile band had amazing taste and soul, but not a lot of technique. He was actually a trumpet player in the marching and symphonic bands. He bought a used Slingerland set (very popular in 1981) with chrome finish, double kick drums, and a pair of timbales to be the top two toms...making a then-unheard-of eight piece kit. For reasons I don't remember anymore, we decided it would make a cool picture to add in everything that we could carry from the high schools percussion section. So somewhere is a pic of Mark playing a seriously augmented version of his kit, with orchestral bells, a gong, a tympani, a two octave pitched block set, MANY extra cymbals...etc.

Perhaps it would kill the 'prog]-ness of the image if you knew he was actually playing a Beatles tune when it was taken.

It was a cool pic, though. We were set up on the stage of the school auditorium, with all of the folks we could round up on the spur of the moment crowding up to the stage and looking excited. In the pic it looks like we're playing for a huge, excited audience. THere was actually less than twenty people in the auditorium. Eighteen of them are visible to some degree n the pic.

I used the pic in a class as an example of how marketing works. I was trying to demonstrate that if you represent a presumed demand for something, you can create the actual demand. The teacher didn't agree. I was trying to convince her when someone came in, saw the pic, said in essence "I didn't know you had a band. It looks like you're pretty popular, too. Want to play at our party next weekend?"

The teacher changed her mind, that the pic did in fact demonstrate my point. And for anyone familar with lots of my posts, that was the band that nearly burned down a church for our first gig.

20. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Burning down a church isn't prog.

It is very black metal, though.

You need corpse paint.