1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The New Standards!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Kwesi, May 10, 2010.

1. So, if we were to compose a book of relatively new jazz and fusion standards what songs would you put in there? Clips are mandatory :).

Here are a few I'd put in:

Bob Berg - Friday Night at the Cadillac Club:

So whatcha got :)?

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    John Zorn & Naked City- "Speedfreaks"

3. Funkturnal

Funkturnal

Nov 17, 2009
    Tokyo, Japan
    Some great suggestions such as Liberty City, and good call for Tribal Tech!

Speedfreaks being a standard though? That's one of my favorite musical AND theatrical performances ever! In fact, I wish it would be a pop standard (I'd imagine the world will be a differnt place if it were)! But I can't imagine any other group playing/performing that one. :)

Off the top of my head, I can think of:

Chick Corea - Got a Match

I know it's a little cliche, but I think it's one of those tunes that everyone knows.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

New!!

Those are 20 - 30 years old!

If you're talking new - then I would be picking things like Dave Hollands latest groups or maybe we should be talking about Radiohead tunes, as covered by Brad Meldhau....? :eyebrow:

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'll spread the word on "Speedfreaks" any chance I get. "Asylum" is another killer.
    ;)

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I have heard several Jazz artists do Nick Drake's "River Man" - a favourite tune of mine - here's a recording :

7. Very true but when you think of a "legitimate" jazz standard most of those were made anywhere from 1920-1950 so 20-30 years isn't that much in comparison. I figure for something to be a standard it should have a little age on it (mostly anyway). In that respect Four Brother's doesn't quite fit but I think the song would fit a lead sheet quite nicely :). The Brad Meldhau Radiohead covers are great though. It's amazing how well they fit into a jazz format especially Black Hole Sun. Ray Riendeau has a version of that song too on youtube that I like a bunch.

8. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    If were not strickly "talking bassists" ....

Stanley Jordon's version of Autumn Leaves. Not sure who this bassist is, but he's killing it! :)

9. Lincoln

Lincoln

Nov 3, 2006
    Song for Barry - Brecker Brothers

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Well, most Jazz Standards are much, much older, right? 20-30 years ago is nothing. ;)

Not quite Holland...but one of my favourite current groups...Chris Potter Underground-

11. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    OK...couldn't resist (&and I had no idea there was actually a "music video" for this...until now)-

12. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    There'd definitely have to be some Scofield in there- maybe "Hottentot" or "Blackout"?

13. Bruce Lindfield

Well - I just think that if you are going to title a thread "new" then it should be the most recent stuff or you are re-defining the meaning of the word "New"!! :p

So - I think that the things that Brad Meldhau does now are "New" - whereas something from 20-30 years ago is "well-worn" or "mature" rather than "New" !! ;)

14. Bruce Lindfield

I think this is the wrong way round again - these are old standards - not "New"...:eyebrow:

15. This I agree on. As much as we do enjoy those songs, ubado, they are already established standards. They may be different versions but it's still the same song.

16. ubado

ubado

Mar 7, 2007
    FL
    Figured since there are 30 yr. old songs being thrown out there ... what's a couple more decades. ;) :D

17. Check out Herbie Hancock's CD 'New Standards'. He updated the classic 'swing a pop tune' from the Cole Porter, etc. days, using tunes by Don Henley, Peter Gabriel, etc. Pretty cool!

18. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    ...and that album is over 10 years old. ;)
    I recall playing the Gabriel cover ("Mercy Street"?) in a band about tha long ago.
    Dave Holland is the baasist on tha record, IIRC.

19. 251

Oct 6, 2006
    Metro Boston MA
  20. beggar98

beggar98

Jan 23, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    That Herbie record was awful.

I think as we try and look at what might be some "new" standards we need to realize that songs first heard over the last 5-10 years haven't been around long enough to be considered "standards". A song almost has to be 20-30 years old to be considered a standard. Otherwise we're just coming up with a list of everyone's favorite newer jazz tunes.