1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. We are aware of an issue affecting search results for classifieds searches and advanced search functions.  Actively working on a fix, thanks for your patience!

The New Star Wars - a belated review

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Robroy, Apr 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robroy

Robroy Guest

Jun 21, 2006
    Yeah, this was probably talked to death, but I just saw it for the first time off a blue-ray at Redbox...

History:
    1. I saw the first Star Wars 27 times in the theater. It was what I'd been waiting for since I saw the very first episode of Star Trek.
    2. I consider The Empire Strikes Back to be Star Wars for adults.
    3. The third was an action figure sales pitch.
    4. The last three were so bad they were bad. The acting was horrific.

This movie was what I expected (after hearing everyone talk about it). That is, almost a remake of the very first SW movie. It was mindbogglingly similar to the first movie. Virtually a total ripoff of the first.

Sounds like I hated it. I didn't. I LOVED it!

The acting was wonderful. The characters were not the one dimensional comic book characters in the others (some felt downright three dimensional). They seemed much more "real". It had that "care about the characters" feel, even regarding Han's son. And the twists still moved the story along in a good way.

I found myself cheering and feeling emotionally moved by what I was seeing on the screen. And as predictable as it was, there were still some surprising twists, and some fairly deep psychological things going on.

I really liked the ending, even though what was conspicuous in it's absence was a big "To be continued..." splashed across the screen when it went black.

This was almost like "the original star wars as it should have been done".

Oddly, the only character from the original movie that was not recognizable was Carrie Fisher. She must have had some work done.

2. I loved the movie too. The challenge I have is that why don't the Imperial Engineers learn from their previous mistakes and do a better job of designing their Weapons of Mass destruction? Also... Why are the stormtroopers the worst shots in the galaxy? In the real first movie Obi-Wan says "Only stormtroopers are so precise" and yet the only main character "good guy" that actually gets shot by a stormtrooper is Leia in Return of the Jedi and that was just a hit to the shoulder..

jmattbassplaya and Robroy like this.
  3. Robroy

Robroy Guest

Jun 21, 2006
    It's kinda comical in all movies like this where the minions of the bad guys are so incompetent. Especially when, as you pointed out, they have a reputation for being so "precise". I confess I thought it was hilarious when Han shot a guy to his right, dead on, without even looking. Sure, it was impossible, but still funny and enjoyable.

I found myself comparing the characters to what I saw in those last Star Trek movies. I consciously realized that the forth wall was always there was always there. No matter what anyone did, I always saw it as "acting audition". I never took the characters seriously. That didn't happen at all in this movie. I like how Han's son was a total poser, only wearing the cool mask because that's what ol' grandpa wore. :)

ShredderMaximus likes this.
  4. Robroy

Robroy Guest

Jun 21, 2006
    Heh. Chewy got hit in the shoulder. ;)

5. Good point.. :thumbsup:

6. -SPOILERS-

To be fair, it seemed like the planetary force field was pretty adequate if the only conceivable way to get through was for them to make their approach at warp speed.

Robroy likes this.
  7. It's always really cool how a major offensive strike was planned and executed at "warp speed" too.. ;)

jmattbassplaya and Robroy like this.
  8. Robroy

Robroy Guest

Jun 21, 2006
    Yeah, the fact that you have to hit the atmosphere at that speed should pretty much preclude anyone from attempting it. But we're talking about the Millennium Falcon here. :)

Tbone76 and ShredderMaximus like this.
  9. I thought warp travel was about time warping rather than hyper velocity.

10. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
  12. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I liked it too. I like how they are letting the bad guy develop as well as the good guys. He's not a unbeatable Vader.

13. My wife and I just saw this at a cheap theater this week. $1.50 apiece to get in. Wanted to see it at a real theater earlier but she has been in the hospital and rehab for 3 months.

Anyway, I liked it more than I thought I would. I hate how JJ Abrams ruined Star Trek (to me) and I was expecting the same thing here. Fortunately the movie was pretty good. Looking forward to seeing the next one. Although I still have worries that it won't be that great.

I'm kind of like the one poster above. I was 17 when the original came out in 1977. Not sure how many times I saw it, was well over a dozen just that first 6 months. And I read the book version many times. However, I can't rank this one up that high as the original. Much better than 1,2, and 3 (although I did like them more than most people). Not sure yet how I feel about the younger characters. They aren't Luke, Leia, and Han. Never will be to me, just wannabes in my mind.

And yeah, Carrie Fisher does not look like she has aged well. My wife thought only Harrison Ford looked anything like he should. But it has been over 30 years since Return of the Jedi.

Russ

14. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    At the extreme risk of starting a nerd war....here's a very brief explanation of the differences ( according to such SF masters such as Asimov, Heinlein, Herbert, Piper, etc.):

Warp: This type of Faster Than Light travel uses technology that literally "warps" or bends space--thus making the distance between point A and point B shorter. Think of it like folding a piece of paper over itself in order to shorten the distance between the edges. In Warp theory, the ship does not move-it remains stationary, it's space that is being moved.

Hyperspace: This type of FTL travel utilizes a dimension "within" space itself (if you can imagine that without giving yourself a headache). While the ship is moving in this "hyperspace", distances traveled have much greater value outside of hyperspace (normal space) so that if you travel 10 light years in hyperspce, you've actually traveled 1000 light years in normal space--or something to that effect (every author has their own formula).

Nerd Lesson over.

15. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    We've already got one of these.

MJ5150 likes this.
  16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 21, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.