Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The new "straight edge" clique/group

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by IAMERICCOCHRANE, Mar 17, 2004.

1. Has anyone else noticed the rise in this group of kids called straight edgers? If not, they are kids that abstain from drinking, drugs and premarital sex, plus they beat the crap out of kids that use drugs and proclaim to be better than everyone because of there "clenliness". Now nothing is wrong with the idea, they want to stay clean from sin or whatever, cool, that is there choice, but they act like freaking morons. I don't go around beating up kids that dont drink, infact noone that I know of goes around beating kids up because they stay sober, but these guys do. Anyone have any views on this or even know what I am talking about?

2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    These are the type of people that you need to slip stuff too... ha ha.

3. Just another group of people with no sence of existance trying to make themselves feel all shiny on the inside.

:barf:

4. theres nothing new about them, theyve been around for ages.

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    New?

They've been plaguing the scene since the 80's. Nancy Reagan Punks and Thugs heh, at least until they reach 21.

6. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I got a joke:

How many straight edge kids does it take to drink a case of beer?

Just one as long as nobody's looking. :D

7. Yea, that is true, but I have noticed an abundance of them just within the past month or so. I guess the 80's really are coming back to bite us in the ass.

8. Pause

Pause

Jun 4, 2003
    Miami, FL
    The beat the crap out of non-sxe kids? Never heard of that.

Oh well. I don't give a damn what they do, and I've never really noticed these kids anyway

9. now something needs to be said here

there is nothing wrong with being "straight edge". i am drug, alcohol, and tobacco free, so i guess that makes me straight edge. however, i am definitely not part of that stereotype.

10. XSXEX

jk, anywhoo, yeah, they've been around for a while, in fact, some people i know are sxe, adn i dont mean sexy ;). they dont beat up alchoholics and druggies, but their friends might do. i dunno

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't drink, I don't smoke, I don't engage in promiscuious sex. I'm sure I'm technically straight edge by some breed. I haven't heard of attacks on drinkers/smokers before. They must be hardcore :rolleyes:

The fact that a new breed is rising up in your area is just because a clique is forming. A group of kids think something is cool, so they'll all do it.

I had a sXe friend who of course drinks and smokes like crazy now. But in his day, he use to be pretty hardcore. Tattoos, T-shirts, Stickers, Pins. The works. There was a drug dealer who was I guess pretty notorious. He came up to Mr. Drug dealer and said, "Hey, do you have any drugs?" When he nodded his head yes, the baseball bat came from behind his back. Bam, one unconcious drug dealer.

A bit extreme, he also could have been killed, but dealers like that are bad news. He didn't go around kicking non sXe ass in general though.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I usually hear of this type referred to as "hard-liners"- kind of a sect within a group. I've always noticed them to be the minority of straight edgers.

If these kids want to form a group that touts a chemical-free, pre-marital sex-free lifestyle, more power to them. I've known several straight edgers throughout high school and college. Most of them have a pretty level head and just don't talk about it- many people you know might be straight edge.

The truth is, this lifestyle is the minority, and pretty unpopular. If they need to form a collective group name, that's cool by me. Kids in high school need something to cling to- it's part of being an adolescent. At least they're clinging to something that is actually good for them.

13. hrrrm, i consider myself a sXe'r and im not violent towards non edge kids. Actually im not violent at all. (haha, dont have to bring up my stupid thread about keying someone.) Being straightedge originally had to do with harcore and stuff, but i know some kids in the local country scene that call themselves sXe.
    So, it sucks that the scenesters out there feel like they have to pound the kids that have fallen off the edge, but i think the straightedge mentality in most places isnt quite so hardcore as where you are.

14. bassmantele

bassmantele

Jul 22, 2003
    Boston MA USA
    I was told about it in '95. Pinheads.

15. I have nothing against any form of moral stance as long as it doesn’t infringe on the rights of others. I have found a few of these guys around that do over here. In saying that, most people who choose to be 'clean' do so without bothering me. That’s all I can ask for. However, I do agree that there may be a resurgence of this clique.

[k]

16. I drink, I sometimes smoke (no tobacco, though), and I've had many experiences in promiscuous sex. And I love it.

Now I think the intrinsic meaning of "straight edge" would imply that you are cool with other people, isn't it? Or maybe they should be called "Nazi Straight Edge"? :meh:

17. It's nothing that hasn't happened before. First time around, straightedge went along with Skins, within a few years Skins went along with being 'white power.'

That whole dopey 'I'm better than you' crap is so hokey, regardless of why you're doing it.

18. AltIII

AltIII

Sep 3, 2002
    I don't drink I don't do drugs and I don't have sex. Not all three of those are intentional though. I'm marginally crooked edge.

19. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    This trend hit my area a few years back.

The best part is, some of the older ones aka the ring leaders decided to get straight edge tattoo's for example one got a rather large 'xSx' straight edge logo on his arm.

Needless to say, I regularly see him out drinking etc since that fads worn off..shame for him that the tatoo's a bit more diseplined ;)

20. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central

sxe and Skins? Was there ever a time when Skins DIDN'T drink? :confused: My skin friends always told me that beer is one of the most important parts of being a skin.