Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the new wood necked zons...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikestack, Feb 27, 2003.

1. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    Hey guys.

Not sure if much info about these ever made it on here, but I got a catalog from Joe (among other things:) ), and it has a sheet on the new Zon Tribute:

"The Tribute and Tribute Pro are crafted for bassists looking for the 'earthy' tone produced by wood. Round lows, tight mids, and a sweet treble response characterize the voice of this bass. The bolt-on maple neck with a rosewood fingerboard features a tilt-back headstock for optimal tone and string tension. Matched to an ash body, the combination makes for a bass with warmth, punch and clarify. Equipped with two specially designed narrow aperture dual-coil pickups and a three-band active circuit, the Tribute delivers limitles tone shaping and sonic textures".

Some more info:

The Tribute Pro is made in the US, retails at $2550 (4 string) and $2750 (5 string). The Tribute is made in Korea and retails at $1549 and $1649 for 4 and 5.

The Tribute comes with Zon electronics and pups, but the Pro has a Aguilar preamp and "exclusively designed for Zon by Duncan custom shop" pickups.

Hmmmm...

Oh yeah, and the Sonus Classic with the pickguard looks pretty snazzy too, but that's got a composite neck...

2. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    I thought Joe Z. said he would never go the Skyline route...

3. I don't really see the point in a wood neck zon.

4. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    Im a HUGE Zon fan... but that seems sort of silly... wood on Zons?

Where is the pickgaurd pic? :)

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Everybody, shhhh! If you turn your speakers up loud enough and listen very carefully, you can faintly hear the sound of Peter Duncan crying.

:bawl:

:D

6. Originally posted by Bryan R. Tyler

Everybody, shhhh! If you turn your speakers up loud enough and listen very carefully, you can faintly hear the sound of Peter Duncan crying.

Someone had to say it. ;)

7. On another note, I wonder if Zon will ever update their website.

8. In a few weeks. Or months.

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Because their are alot more players that play wood neck basses as opposed to composite necks & he would like to make more money.

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    For a bass that RETAILS @ $2500+, I'd hardly call that the "Skyline route".

11. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Oh, I guess I should read the WHOLE thing! Still, they're slightly higher. When will they be released?

12. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    nice response...

My point is... If a Zon comes up in a conversation, we all think graphite... Why would one work so hard to create a niche and name recognition in a certain area, then switch to wooden necks... its sort of like Taco Bell selling burgers... sure it can be done, but why?

Couldnt he put out a new body style or something a little cooler looking than these new zons?

Disclaimer: I am a HUGE Zon fan... my main work bass is a Zon Sonus 4 Fretless, so I am not bashing Joe, just questioning why...

13. mikestack

mikestack

Sep 17, 2002
    Boston
    I think exploring a wider market is certainly a valid point. And it's not like he's dropping the graphite necked Zons, in fact there's a new Sonus with a pickguard.

I'm guessing Zon wanted to enter the mid-priced market and the way they make graphite composite necks is probably relatively expensive. Just a guess, though.

Think of it this way, McDonald's made fajitas for a while (they may still, I haven't actually been in a McD's in years...), but they still make burgers.

14. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    My point is if he will sell an instrument that alot more players would buy, he would in turn make more of a profit & possiblly have more capital in his business so he can afford to produce different composite neck instruments. My post was in no wat meant as a bash to Joe & his work. Times are tough & business isn't as good as it was pre 9/11.

15. Wolfehollow

Wolfehollow

Jan 21, 2003
    Pensacola, FL
    I will concede that he is obviously trying to reach a new market and since I am already a Zon fan, he does not need to please me. With that being said... I do not like the look of the new basses and have no interest in even trying one, yet if a fretless Legacy shows up somewhere for a reasonable price, its mine...

16. I understand that, but the markets flooded with companys that make woodnecked basses, and theres very few that make graphite. I would be much happier if Joe made a graphite necked bass in korea.

17. zon gucks!

18. odie

odie Supporting Member

Can we have pd_5 string back for one thread??!! Please?? I promise I'll clean my room and will never ask for anything else again. I promise!!

19. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I for one am getting a little fed up with all the great companys starting to produce budget basses (Warwick, Zon, Lakland, Sadowsky,Musicman:bawl: ). I for one don't see basses as a status symbol but I find that it some how depresiates the company in my mind. I used to swear by warwick but since the "rockbass" came down the line I can't stand them. After talking to Joe Zon a few times I thought heres a company that needs the slogan "exept no subtitute". Don't get me wrong I'd jump at a Zon more than any other bass, but now I think I'll just G.A.S. on a Modulus instead. Sure wiish they made a Quantum 4-banger with a 34" scale neck. As always this is just IMHO;) .

20. More basses to choose from has never been a bad thing for me. I think the new Zons are pretty cool and I hope that people make great music with them.