The New XBox. Predictions Anyone?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by freshmeat1989, May 3, 2005.

1. I'm excited, but I think they're trying to release it too early. That method surely didn't help Sega.
  2. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002

I really wish I'd bought an XBox instead of a gamecube...oh well. C'est la vie. Here's my chance to rectify that mistake!

PS: Please let it have backwards-compatability!
  3. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I went to the site and all I saw was "MTV"...*** does MTV have to do with Xbox.

Shame :rollno:
  4. They're debuting the new Xbox.
  5. I had been told it might not be...not sure on this though.
  6. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    microsoft maybe is still caught up in the computer side of things. Update quickly, update often. I say let xbox brew a little longer, as more and more people are still being drawn over to it.

maybe? i dunno.
  7. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Considering this is a Microsoft product, I don't see any way they'd release it without backwards compatibility.

I'm still impressed with the hardware every time I sit down with my Xbox. I'm not sure why we need a new generation of consoles already.
  8. +1

Hopefully this one has USB ports. I'm always confused as to why the didn't put those on it, PS2 has USB ports, why can't Xbox?
  9. i predict it's going to be crap. i have an xbox and i really don't think any developer put it's hardware to the best use.
    oh, and there is probably no backwards compatability, they say that there's not going to be a harddrive, so i don't see any way that it should be possible unless they sell something seperate
  10. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Actually it DOES have USB ports...they are just shaped funny and use a different pinout so you can't use generic USB devices with them.

I'm also pretty sure it does not have backward compatibility, at least this is the "inside" story from my gaming industry contacts. I agree that lacking backwards compatibility would be a major shot in the foot for microsoft, but its not the first time they've made a major marketing mistake.

Because PS3 is incoming and there's no F'ing way Microsoft will let Sony get a new console out while the X-Box is still "brewing".
  11. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I don't wanna say yet. I said I wouldn't buy a PSP, and yet I'm the 1st person in town to buy one.
  12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

When are they releasing them? I see that the debut date is my birthday----but when will they actually be RELEASING the consoles?
  13. Ericman197

Feb 23, 2004
    Semi related question:

Does anyone use an X Box with the high definition adapter? I only want to play games on it if they are in high definition... something at least 480P or better with surround sound and all of that good stuff. Do either the PS2 or Gamecube have such features, or is it only the X Box?

14. The rumored date is around this Christmas.
  15. SirPoonga

Jan 18, 2005
    I wish I had both! I couldn't go without playing Zelda or Metroid, so nintendo products are something I have to have.
    But the xbox is just do much better :)

I heard the ps3 and next xbox are going to have dvr capabilities. If so I will definately get one.
  16. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I would like to take this opportunity to point out that all 3 next-gen systems are using PowerPC chip architecture.

The X-box2 is powered by 3 PPC 970s, or some variant thereof
    The PS3 is powered by the PowerPC derived CELL
    And the Revolution is rumored to be powered by a PowerPC derived processor as well, possibly a variant of the g5

I bring this up of course to point out the silly irony that apple computer has been using PowerPC for a very long time, and yet, no one in their right mind would argue that an apple computer is a gaming machine. Yet, now 3 dedicated gaming machines are going to be using not only PowerPC processors but, ones derived from the very same processors Apple uses in it's desktop computers(sans the CELL)

Of course, Revolution is being veiled in ultra secrecy, in the end, maybe it won't be using PowerPC architecture, the Gamecube did though, and I think the N64 used a similar RISC processor.

So that's what's about that. heh

I'm personally not all that interested in gaming anymore, but I do think it is interesting seeing what they are doing with next gen technology and just how far they will push the envelope with photo realistic graphics and such.
  17. slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    i heard that it could quite possibly have dual onerbays.

18. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Well I would argue that a G5 is a stellar gaming machine whose manufacturer has done far too little to encourage developent of a larger library of titles. Those few games that do run on Macs run far, far better than their windows versions in most cases, at least that was my expirience when I ran QA for a company specializing in Mac ports.