1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The new Yamaha SLB300 Silent Bass sounds like a game changer

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by DuluthDank, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    That looks more like a stand than a real tripod like on the NS. I think that there is no space to place a stool behind that tripod stand. You will probably get in the way with the legs of the stand or maybe the bass will be too far away to reach when seated?

2. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    If you're buying it from Thomann, one of those reviews is mine :)
    It's a great stand. I have one for my WAV4, then got a second for my Stico.

Zbysek likes this.
  3. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    I found this for the SLB200. Not sure if it will fit the SLB300, but it gives me hope there may be one in the near future.

YAMAHA SLB200 kneecap BKS2 4957812299923 | eBay

Also on Yamaha's website:

SVB-BKS2 - Overview - Yamaha - United States

I sent a message to Yamaha support asking if this will fit the SLB300.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
  4. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    There is this on eBay for the SLB
    Yamaha BST1 Silent Base Silent Cello Stand SLB-200 SLB-100 Fast Ship Japan EMS 4960693169933 | eBay

Also on Yamaha website:
    BST1 - Overview - Yamaha - Canada - English

5. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    DuluthDank likes this.
  6. Neon Scribe

Neon Scribe Supporting Member

Another couple of days on the SLB300. I got the K&M stand this morning. It works. It isn't quite as secure as I would like, but I will use it. The issue is that the SLB300 is asymmetrical. The right shoulder is much heavier than the left shoulder. A not-very-hard bump on the left side would topple it off the stand. I will try to keep the left side protected, by putting it near a wall or other barrier, so it isn't vulnerable to someone walking past it.

After more experience with it, I'm getting used to the sound through headphones. At first I felt it was somewhere in the uncanny valley, a too-good simulation that is unsettling. I practice electric bass and the NXT through headphones all the time and have never been bothered by the sound. Somehow the resemblance to a real double bass sound was playing tricks with my mind. Now that I've had a few hours with it, it seems fine. The headphone sound doesn't seem like a simulation of a real acoustic space, it's just a more nuanced sound inside my head.

I tried the SLB300 with two different amps. The Acoustic Image Coda is my usual upright amp. The SLB300 sounds fantastic through it. This is where it really pays off. The simulation just sounds like an amplified instrument. It's so much better than my upright with the Realist LifeLine, and I know there won't ever be a feedback problem, something I've had to deal with in every performance. I also tried it with my Genz Benz Shuttle STL6-0-12T, a very good smallish electric bass combo amp. The sound quality was okay. If I hadn't heard the Coda first, I might think it was fine. If I needed the extra volume, I would use it, but clearly the SLB300 shines best through the cleanest amplification available.

I think the SLB300 is great, but here are a few more minor points:

The YAMAHA logo on the side is huge! I'm sorry, I didn't sign up to be an advertisement for your company. Any thoughts on how to cover it discreetly without damaging the finish? It's on the side of the wooden body, so that's not a simple problem.

Using two AA batteries to power this thing without an external supply option seems like a mistake. There is so much room and it can't be a question of weight. And it didn't even come with batteries! It feels a little like an afterthought on the design. A pair of C batteries would have been much better, and a charge level indicator would have been welcome, too. At least the piezo output works even without juice, but then you lose the simulated upright sound.

A built-in tuner could not possibly have added much to the cost. This is a 4000USD product. How much would it have cost to include a tuner? $20? The Yamaha silent guitar has a tuner and a headphone output. Why couldn't they have included these? At this price, a balanced XLR output would not seem out of line.

Luigir, P_Robyn, moles and 2 others like this.
  7. Dennis Kong

Dennis Kong Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2004
    San Mateo CA
  8. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Good review! I haven't played one but I agree with you on the visual stuff (big Yamaha logo) and the tuner and battery things.

9. moles

moles

Jan 24, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB
    I'm pretty sure there was at least once source that stated the electronics were pared down to open up the volume of the body cavity (I binge watched review / promo videos that whole weekend, so my apologies for not being able to point it out directly). I'm curious if you think there might be a useable spot for a clip-on tuner somewhere?

10. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    The battery life of the SLB200 is 2000 hours. The SLB300 is 32 hours! How did this get released without the power issue being thought out?

11. Neon Scribe

Neon Scribe Supporting Member

My PolyTune Clip works fine on the headstock.

moles likes this.
  12. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Only 32 hours! That’s very little. That means you have to change the batteries every two or three weeks or so. Where did you read this?

13. Papageno

Papageno

Nov 16, 2015
    France
    It's in the user manual.
    Screenshot_20200710-082214.png

Attached Files:

Les Fret likes this.
  14. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Ok that’s a bummer and probably a deal breaker.

Luigir likes this.
  15. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    Just get a 4 low-self-discharge batteries (Eneloop, or however they're branded in your region) and a smart-charger, and the problem's solved.
    I say 4, because that way you can swap them out, charge the drained ones, and then you have a fully-charged pair ready to swap back in.

16. John Le Guyader

John Le Guyader Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    About a year or more ago I found an SLB200 cheap on ebay. $800 smackers. It had issues: no body frame unit, non-original endpin (came with an unusual DYI mix of pipe and 1/2" standard replacement Kay/Engelhardt endpin and endpin block), damaged A tuner but functional, a nut that wasn't cut correctly but was serviceable, and a non-original case. It came with a K&M EUB stand that works great and I use it to store the bass upright. It was shipped in a new keyboard case I sold for $50. For the endpin, I bought a 3 foot round steel rod 1/2" diameter to fit the Kay endpin block installed, and cut it to length to fit me, but be careful not to slam it through the preamp cavity. I put a stop on the endpin to keep it from going into the preamp cavity that also allows me some room for adjustment. I improvised a body rest. Bought a $20 snowboard case for transport. I love the bass, and its my beach bass since it is so easy to travel with. Zyex strings are very bowable on the bass. 9V preamp battery last forever. It is surprisingly loud unamplified playing arco for practicing (its body is chambered and very resonant). If you find a used one at a good price you will not be disappointed. And there are plenty of pedals/preamps that can provide upright sound emulation (Zoom (A1/A1X Four, AC-2, AC-3 A3), Boss AD-10, TC Electronic BodyRes, ToneDexter, etc.).

New, I think all the SLBs are very expensive, great upright sound emulation on the 300 or not, but what about uprights isn't expensive?

If I could find it, I'd love to get the original body frame unit to use but I can't get it from Yamaha in the USA or find it anywhere else...but I keep searching and hoping the part shows up...

Its seems to me that it would be pretty easy to make a costume endpin on any SLB that allows for sitting using a generic steel round bar available at hardware stores/Home Depot/Lowes, just cut to length. You just need to find out what diameter steel rod to get for the stock endpin block on the SLBs. Having the Yamaha accessory knee and back extended rests would help a lot for sitting.

17. John Le Guyader

John Le Guyader Supporting Member

Jun 6, 2006
    DC Metro
    Can you please share the contact info you used to communicate with Yamaha. I'm trying to find the body frame unit for an SLB200 and haven't had any luck...

18. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    Go to the bottom of the page. Under "Support" click on "Contact Us".

SLB300 - Overview - Yamaha - United States

19. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Yes I know. But still I don't want to sorry about batteries all the time. 32 hours is not much.

20. Ukiah Bass

Ukiah Bass

May 10, 2006
    Does that 32 hour limit only apply to the cumulative duration of when the bass is plugged in?

That is the annoyance of an active EB. It’s convenient to leave the cable plugged in. But it drains the battery and changing them frequently is annoying. 32 hours is too low for such a high cost bass.

Les Fret likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 8, 2021