1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The new Yamaha SLB300 Silent Bass sounds like a game changer

Discussion in 'Electric Upright Basses (EUB's) [DB]' started by DuluthDank, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    If it's like any other active bass it would only drain the battery when plugged in.

2. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Yes I agree. I only have to change the batteries in my active basses once a year or so. 32 Hours would mean changing them every three weeks or so. That’s a real annoyance.

3. Neon Scribe

Neon Scribe Supporting Member

A full week with the SLB300. I'm still happy with it. I've settled on "microphone" sim 2 as the best sound through the Coda. Like any instrument, it takes some time with the complete combination to find the right touch to get the sound you want. I'm still happy with my acquisition. I had to use the Genz-Benz with the band last week, and was not completely happy with that sound. I felt it was a little "hollow", if that makes sense. (I had to loan the Coda to a singer-guitarist.) I didn't spend a lot of time tweaking it. I'll just try to make sure I can use the Coda from now on!

I do have a little problem and I don't know exactly how to handle it. The G string seems a bit dead. It sounds duller than the others and the sustain is quite a bit shorter. The funny thing is that it's barely noticeable when using the mic sim. It's obvious when you listen to the bare piezo sound and even just playing acoustically. So, what do you think is wrong? My first guess is that the string just went bad. It was probably already bad when it arrived. According to the specs, they are D'Addario Helicore Hybrid Light strings. I could just order a G string for $35, but shouldn't Yamaha cover this? Anyone care to report on their experience with Yamaha support? One thing I would like to avoid is dropping the EUB off at the service center and being without it for a week or more, or worse, having to ship it off to Illinois. If they would just send me another string I'd be happy to change it myself. I've never changed an upright string, but I've changed dozens of bass guitar strings, so I'm not afraid to try.

The other thing that comes to mind is that if the string is bad, maybe I should take the opportunity to try a completely different set. Not that I'm interested in a voyage of discovery to find the ideal strings for this instrument, but I'm curious if anyone has tried different strings with any version of Silent Bass. With the mic sim, there's going to be very little difference in sound, but I'd be willing to try a different set to improve playability. I'm really not an arco player, so I would only be concerned with pizz playing.

4. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic
    Maybe you should try contacting the dealer first about the string?

5. Neon Scribe

Sure, but since that was a third-party seller on Amazon I would probably rather spend $35 and try to fix it myself than start that process. Too bad Gollihur doesn't sell these. I would gladly have paid a little more to get it from them.

6. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    Don’t you have another older G string lying around? Just to check if it also has the dull sound.

7. Matthijs

Matthijs Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2006
    Amsterdam
    Might be the fingerboard or setup? I had a similar problem with my eub. I tried different strings, piezo’s and everything. Eventually it took my luthier 5 minutes with a planer to fix it.

8. Neon Scribe

That was my second thought. I should probably do it anyway. I wonder if she's ever set up an EUB. I'm sure I've never seen one in the shop!

9. Neon Scribe

Here's a brief clip of a direct recording. Mic sim 2. It sounds sort of airless through phones, but it works great through an amp. See if you can hear which notes are on the dead G string.

DuluthDank likes this.
  10. hensonbass

hensonbass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA

I’ve had my SLB300 since May and I really enjoy playing it on gigs. It’s the best EUB I’ve ever owned.

Neon Scribe and DuluthDank like this.
  11. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    ok sounds good. How is the battery life doing for you? Is it really only 32 hours? How often do you change batteries?

12. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Have you checked your bridge to make sure it’s seated correctly? I noticed a very big difference in tone if the bridge was leaning over. This is from the manual.

0A9648BA-F145-4EDD-B6CA-C96DCD96779D.jpeg

13. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    Given the amount I play right now I’m changing them out maybe once a month. I do agree that a 9 V system would be less hassle, but this bass plays and sounds so good for what I do I’m happy to keep a package of AA’s in my car.

Les Fret likes this.
  14. Neon Scribe

It is seated correctly. Because of the shape of both the bridge and the body, it appears to be angled too far towards the tailpiece, but that is an illusion. It is at a right angle within a small tolerance. My replacement G string is arriving tomorrow, so I will know more soon.

In the meantime, I had a 3 hour session with the "other" band yesterday, this time using the Coda. I was very happy with the SLB300. After a while, I pretty much forgot that I wasn't playing a "real" bass. I sat on my stool and put my left foot on a box, so I could lean the SLB300 against my left knee. I also put the Coda on the box, just because it was a handy place, which means that I could feel the vibrations pretty well, too. After immersing in playing with others for a while, I felt it was more fun to play than my (admittedly pretty crappy) real bass.

I'm still sold on mic sim 2. What about you? What about your amplification? Are you just monitoring through the PA?

Les Fret and DuluthDank like this.
  15. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    I don’t hear any dead notes.

16. hensonbass

Feb 25, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    I mostly monitor through the PA. I have been using mic sim 1 & 2 on my gigs. Sim # 3 is great for classical type arco or dark pizz tone but I like a more bright tone on my trio gigs.

17. Neon Scribe

No, it's almost impossible to hear when the mic sim is turned on, especially with ordinary playing. If you turn off the mic sim, play open notes and let them sustain, you can hear that the G is a little muffled and the sustain is much shorter. With luck, it will be fixed by the end of the day today.

Les Fret likes this.
  18. Low Class

Low Class

Jul 4, 2005
    Gasaholic

19. Les Fret

Les Fret

Sep 9, 2009
    How does the mic sim on the SLB really work? Is it only a mic sim on top of the piezo or acoustic EUB sound from the Yamaha itself or does it model/tone match the whole sound of an acoustic upright bass?

20. Neon Scribe

Just replaced the string. That seems to have done the trick!

Low Class, DuluthDank and Les Fret like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 18, 2021