1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The next evolution of my "board"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, Mar 17, 2008.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    The only things i can think of adding is a looper and keyboard synth.

Synth = to much dinero, but i can theoretically attach it to the mic in on my POD. It has a trim knob so i figure it should work.

But....

The real reason of this thread: is there a true stereo looper thats not freakin huge????

Ive checked out the RC-50 (to big lol), the RC-20 (it doesnt seem to do output stereo), the JamMan (stereo aux in is summed to mono :(), and the Boomerang (also to big....). I was going from memory when i hit up google.

I also looked at the new looper from Line 6. It has a bunch of **** i really dont need, like amp modeling and FX, but it does have stereo line outs. The other + to the line 6 is that there are separate switches for record+overdub and undo, so i dont need to hold a switch down for X seconds, or buy a separate FS for it. Does anyone know if you can loop from the CD/MP3 in or the Aux in? And, is the aux in true stereo? I only really care about looping stereo tracks, cus then i can get a stereo USB interface for recording.

There is no Manual on the site yet, but i am hoping that someone here has tried it....

Thanks in advance :D

--Dan

A note on the getting of a separate USB interface if i get a looper: The FX loop on the X3 pro or live is before the Mod, Delay and Verb sections. Not to restricting sound wise i guess, except that the loop is only active for only 1 of the 2 signal chains per patch. So it'd just be easier to get a looper and a stereo USB interface. I just wouldnt be able to record the 8 tracks the pod transmits, which just means I'd have to get the mix/pan of the 2 signal chains to where i want em before recording stuff. And thats prolly NOT a bad thing lol. Measure twice, cut once and all that jazz

2. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Im not into rack stuff....

Ill prolly wait till the JM4 is released then hope that Line 6 puts the manual up for DLing.

3. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    What's your reasoning for needing stereo? The non-rack units don't offer pan, and most (if not all) don't have individually assignable tracks that can be routed to either side of the stereo outs. If you don't need either of those features (and if you do, you might as well go rack), then you can always just plug the output of a standard looper into a nice ABY box and voila, stereo :)

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    The POD outputs in stereo. I can even pan each of the 2 signal chains per patch left or right.

I've even got a couple of patches where i use the panning.

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Ah, looping an already-panned effect. Well, good luck with the Line 6- if you ever switch out your POD for a rackmout, definitely look into getting a Looperlative if you're really going to get serious with looping. Other than that, the RC-50 isn't all that big when you consider the size of the POD you have :D

FWIW, I used a stereo setup with my stereo looper (Looperlative), and recording was most easily done by splitting the audio outs of the looper, having two outputs go to my amps and two outputs going into my Firepod. Didn't need to deal with any separate USB interface that way.

6. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :D Thanks. The RC-50 is big compared to the other loopers i've looked at. The full on FBV long board I got is big enough on its own. I dont need something else that size lol. If line 6 ever gets the manual available for download all my problems (ya right...) would be solved.

One of these days I might go rack, but i dont see that being soon....

7. EHX 2880 is stereo, but sure if its what your looking for though.

8. Bryan R. Tyler

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Is that giant Line 6 footcontroller a MIDI controller also? If so, you'd be able to control both your Line 6 and a rack looper unit with the same controller. When I used a Boss VF-1 rackmount effects unit, I controlled both it and my Looperlative with the same foot controller- saved a lot of space that way. You could also control any other MIDI-controllable looper with it, although I haven't looked into which non-rack units are MIDI controllable.

9. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    The Electro Harmonix Stereo Memory Man With Hazarai is in stereo (in and out). It isn't a fancy looper though - 30 secs of loop time, but you cannot undo overdubs, which it sounds like you are looking for.

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    :meh: forgot bout that one! Ill check it out :D

EDIT: It might be what im looking for, but it might not. Im definatly gonna have to put more thought into how many tracks i "need". Im assuming that the loopers with the undo feature only undo the last overdub. Like if you record, overdub, then overdub again, only the last overdub can be undone....

Unfortunately no. Prolly a good thing tho. I looked into programming a midi board for the xt and my head nearly exploded.... :eek: