1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

THE NEXT GREAT LUTHIER HAS ARRIVED (and been around for a long time;-): PETE SKJOLD

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by XavidmanX, Mar 7, 2008.

1. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    (Disclaimer: I'm not getting paid for this review. But, should Pete decide to send some free basses my way, I would gladly delete this post:D)

From the beginning I was pretty skeptical about his basses. Maybe I'm just naturally that way, but I figured with a headstock like that (which actually looks really good...I've warmed up to it, and with tone like that I don't really give a damn about the headstock) and a name I can't pronounce (even though my last name gets butchered all the time), how can his basses be any good?

I'm glad I got over it because my new to me Skjold CS5'er is probably the best bass I've laid my hands on (aside from my MTD's), and I have played and owned everything including MTD, Roscoe, Smith, F bass, Sadowsky, Lull, Fender, EBMM, Lakland, Nordy, Warwick, Valenti...the list goes on...just check my profile.

The finish work and craftsmanship on this piece is inspiring. I bought it used from The Low End (thanks, Brian) and sent it to Pete for a once over and he did an awesome job at a very fair price. The fretwork, neck pocket/fit with the neck is first rate. The action is low with no buzzing and I'm digging everything about this bass from the action to the way the bass balances when hanging with a shoulder strap. The woodwork on the bass itself to the pickup covers and the custom knobs are also second to none.

Besides the great woodwork and craftsmanship, the electronics are amazing. The pickup/preamp combination is really something special. This preamp can do EVERYTHING!! The bass sounds great in passive mode, to boot. I play alot in church and in other gigs where I can't haul around more than 2 basses (one fretted and one fretless...mandatory) and I need for my basses to be versatile to cover a range of genres, decades, etc. The versatility delivers everything I need in one great, lightweight package. I can't say enough about these basses.

I also can't say enough about Pete himself. Pete spent a heck of a whole lot of time on the phone with me figuring out what I would be looking for and then I ended up buying used instead of building, and he still treated me like a longtime customer everytime I called. He is a first class guy that I enjoy talking to (in the same category as Joel at the Groove Shoppe and Mike Tobias...neither of them are paying me either, by the way) and can't wait to start a build soon.

I just pray that my financial storms of the last 2 years will settle so that I can keep this bass for a long time. Of course, a lot of other stuff would have to go before I got rid of this Skjold.

I'm confident that Pete will be around for a long long time seeing as how he's got everything you could ask for in a builder: great tone, great craftsmanship, humility and a willingness to dialogue with his customers first hand.

For those of you looking for a great builder with a great attitude and a slammin' product that is about to take the bass world by storm, look no further than Pete Skjold. Hell, I bumped my own flesh and blood from my top 8 on MySpace to move Pete in. I told her unless she can produce bass tone like that then she's been voted off the island for good.

New checklist for tomorrow:

__Sell kidney to buy like...20 of Pete's basses.

__Spend 4 hours working through all of the tones in that preamp.

__Explain to my mom why my cousin's whining about getting bumped on MySpace.

__Win the lottery and hire Pete and Mike Tobias as my own personal builders (this lottery idea is way better than the kidney one).

CIMG5090.
    CIMG5089.
    CIMG5091.

2. routasydän

routasydän

Apr 25, 2006
    Oulu, Finland
    I would love to try one of his fretlesses. They always look amazing (as does your fretted too of course, but i have a thing for fretless basses:))

3. That is a very nice bass. I am of the opinion however that Pete arrived ages ago. He's been putting out great stuff for a while. Ask TomBowlus

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd love to try one of the Lion's Pride basses if he would put the pickup at the bridge!

5. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    yea skjold is nothing new man.

he does great work. and alot of people own his instruments here

6. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    +1

I thought he arrived a while ago

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
  8. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    Damn, you people read way too much into things. Where did I say that he was a green rookie? Maybe the title should say: He's here as of a long time ago. Now are you nitpickers happy?

Remember that even if he's been around for 10 years it's still "new" compared to guys like Smith, Tobias and Furlanetto. So for me to say he is eclipsing their work now is a big compliment.

9. SurrenderMonkey

SurrenderMonkey

Aug 18, 2006
    Liverpool
    How you pronounce Skjold btw?

"School"? "Shold"? "Shield"? ...no idea! :)

10. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    He pronounced it like the first syllable of "Shoulder" when I met him.

Also, he's a really, really cool guy, and a SMOKING player.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Told ya. :cool:

12. Pako

Pako Are we having fun yet?

Jul 31, 2002
    USA, Montana
    Haven't had the pleasure of playing one of his instruments yet, but many of you have and I haven't heard one bad thing about his product. So far, customer service has been great....a pleasure to talk with every time. There have been a few situations with my current build that I left it up to Pete, everyone says "trust Pete" with positive results thus far. My only complaint I have is there is only one of him, he declined my cloning offer.....

Play on!

13. +1.. the work of Jimmy Coppolo, Pete Skjold, Chris Stambaugh, and a few other 'lesser known' luthiers is as good or better than the 'big boys' (Fodera, MTD, etc.) regarding playability, fit and finish, balance, tone, etc., etc.

Wonderful, wonderful instruments!

14. grace & groove

grace & groove

Nov 30, 2005
    philly
    Self-Appointed Ambassador to the Dragonfly
    Ramirez is getting popular too. Soon enough.

15. ryano

ryano

Aug 20, 2007
    Boston Area

Big +1 on this. Chris, Pete and Brian (Ristola) were all present at last years NH Bassfest. I got a chance to play basses made by all 3 builders. All outstanding.

IMHO these smaller luthiers are huge bang for the buck.

--ryano

16. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    BUMP

+1 on Pete's work. I have owned 2 Skjolds and they both have been awesome basses. My Lion's Pride is a pleasure to play and hear!:bassist:

17. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    I need to try an LP sometime. They look great.

18. Basso Gruvitas

Basso Gruvitas Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2000
    Dallas/Ft. Worth TX
    Yeah Tony, I fell in love with the look. Mine has an alder body (for a full phat sound) and a maple neck (for slap). I was after an urban Marcus tone but not as "cutting" as ash. This bass TOTALLY does the job!! It has such a great place in the mix with a wide variety of tones available. I play in a variety/RnB band and this is the perfect bass for that.

The neck is very smooth and feels kind of P-ish. It feels meaty not skinny like a Fender Jazz, but it lays super well in the hands.

19. XavidmanX

XavidmanX

Jun 29, 2006
    Bakersfield, CA
    Enough already with the juicy descriptions! The GAS is killin' me...lucky for me I'm broke.:help:

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Pete makes a killer bass. I think he'd be next in line for me if'n Fred Bolton stopped building basses.