Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Next Ryan Leaf??!!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Aug 24, 2004.

1. OH, great. The dumbest NFL team in the league has done it again. The SD Chargers finally signed our first round draft pick. Granted Phillip Rivers is a much better QB, and a much better human being, but this is WAY too similar to what happened with the Ryan Leaf Fiasco. Now i love my home team, and if we're 8-8 i'm STOKED. But, here we go again? Now here's where i'm confused.

We had a "ticket guarantee" with the city so that we could actually watch home games because the city picked up the tab on the unsold seats. Now this financial wonder took effect right about the same time we got Mrs. Leaf. So, basically the city lost millions of dollars because nobody went to see the Keystone Chargers (remember the 1-15 season a few years back?), and because LEAFY BABY was nothing but a whining sucka$$ 3rd string crybaby. So, the chargers actually signed a good player in LaDanian Tomlinson a couple years ago and attendance began to go up, and the team's reacord did slowly. BUT, instead of opting for a, let's say, a decent Offensive Line, we took ANOTHER rookie QB. umm, Drew Brees? isn't he pretty damn good too? Uhh, LT is on top of his game, but he's got no line to protect him. neither does Brees. But, we decide to shell out more Millions for another unproven (in the NFL) young QB. And add to the fact that there is no more "ticket gaurantee" we've got no more televised home games.

Green Bay sells 60,000+ for an INTERSQUAD game. not even preseason. We had 25,000 unsold tickets for our first home preseason game. Now we still have no offensive line, and another QB that we can't guarantee he's gonna perform. How's that gonna increase attendance?

My girl and i are at odds over this becuase she did videography for ACC games for years and watched Rivers' career and thinks he's a piece of gold. Any opinions?

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Awww, c'mon. Give him a chance, Gus...

3. it's hard to man.... Mrs. Leaf ruined my hopes for successfully drafting a possible "starting QB". how can he even have a chance when our front line is POOP?

nobody tell my girl i made this thread.. she'll kill me :bag:

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Hey, I'm a Bengals fan... so I feel your pain... RE: the bolts... Personally, I thought Drew Brees should've been kept & more focus put on building a real offensive line.. & not just one that can run block for Mr Tomlinson.

5. Brees is actually #1 right now in preseason QB passer rating. but the key word there is PRESEASON.

Bengals. hmmm. well, i feel yer pain. we're on the same page.

6. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I feel your pain, especially when you consider you passed up Peyton Manning for Leaf. :bawl: And Indy was as bad as the Chargers then.

Have hope, that's something a fan does.

At least look at it this way. With the team doing as bad as it has been, the Raiders, Broncos and Chiefs fans can leave you alone, if at least out of pity.

Let me take that back, one shouldn't expect a Raider fan to show that much class :D

7. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Raiders are looking good this year. Hopefully they can make up for their craptastic season last year.

8. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I'm freaking out... Jon Kitna was an actual MVP candidate, & were letting the rookie start!

9. #1 RAIDER HATER. right here... bring it on vbass.. $5.00 on the season??? let's go kiddo..

10. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA

OK but don't :crying: when I take your money.

11. grrrr.. it's on...
    :spit:

"the raiders moved from Oakland to Los Angeles and then back to Oakland. No one in Los Angeles seemed to notice"

quote from BASEketball

no one in SD noticed either. all we got were fights at our stadium!!!

12. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Lawl, yeah that movie was funny. Anyway, there's just nothing quite like going to a Raider game man, it's a lot of fun. PLUS they will own your charger asses.

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    There was a first Ryan Leaf?

14. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Unfortunately.

15. The one and only.. his little brother worked the door at a local club i play at and he got so ruined by all the locals that he had to quit.

I mean how many times can you hear "Your lousy brother cost our city millions of dollars!!! And he knocked up the hottest cheerleader!!"

ouch, slap!! right in da face!!

16. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ya know, virtually every football fan across the US laughed thier collective asses off, when SD took Leaf instead of Manning... I still can't believe they did that. That single move created a dynasty, in Indy... Sorry Gus...

17. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    cough..cough..
    Ki Jana Carter
    Akili Smith
    :D

18. Mental Octopus

Mental Octopus

May 24, 2003
    i think brees is fine for the chargers and im not sure why SD would draft another rookie QB like you said. i agree with you: they should definitely pay more attention to their offensive line.

i think rivers can be a good athlete if he is given the oppurtunity though. he wont be as good as eli because i think he lacks the experience and knowledge that manning had coming out of college. but remember....when peyton was drafted the colts werent exactly a great team...and now look at them. maybe san diego can bounce back in a few years and make something happen. but for now, i would just give LT the ball every play and let him work his magic :smug: .

19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA

What are you talking about? Peyton Manning was selected #1 overall by the Colts. No one passed on him.

-Mike

20. jive1

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    MJ5150 is right. Peyton was the #1 pick. So Charger fans can rest easy.