The next time you think you don't have the right tools...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Jisch, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Check out this build:

2. ronknor

ronknor

Mar 18, 2021
    StewMac must hate this guy. Amazing build!

3. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    I’ve been developing an eye for re-purposing cheaper tools for more expensive “Luthier” tools, which are sometimes the same tool with a huge price increase, but I often trade money for time and skills since bass building is a hobby, not a profession. I’m often humbled by old furniture, knowing a lot of it was made entirely with hand tools. That video makes me feel like a spendthrift piker.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  4. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    My former employer at the acoustic guitar factory took a trip to a semi-famous town in Mexico back in the 1990s, known for their guitar building. Some of those guys were knocking out reasonably functional axes with the tool. Not “tools” but tool, singular. Basically a knife. He couldn’t believe it until he watched the entire process start to finish. Said he’d never consider doing it that way but was amazed at the talent and ability of these guys.

Knew a bit of a weird guy back in the early 90s here in San Diego who was making basses - good ones - out in east county using no power tools. He did amazing work, looked professional and factory quality.

Have read in the old shortwave literature from back in the 30s and 40s about guys who would make their own tubes. While the procedure was plausible, I’m still not sure I believe that’s possible for an untrained person to do it.

MYLOWFREQ and Beej like this.
  5. Imma be real with you, I don't have a lot of those tools at home, either :).

Beej likes this.
  6. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    I was gonna try to be funny and do the whole, "back in my day, all you needed was a hatchet", bit.
    But now it's not funny, because there really still are a few badasses left in the world.

BlueTalon, tr4252, Beej and 1 other person like this.
  7. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    And I'm not one of them. Just thinking about all that hand sawing in the OP vid made me wanna take a pain pill and lay down.

8. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    We tend to romanticize hand tools in a way the original users probably didnt. I get the appeal of a more direct connection of hand to wood, and the relative peace and quiet, but I bet the old timey cabinet makers would have ditched some of their hand tools in a heartbeat for a decent tablesaw. The brutal economic realities of custom Luthiery make it nearly impossible for a hand tool builder to compete.

9. 2saddleslab

2saddleslab Supporting Member

May 30, 2003
    Kentucky
    While I don't recommend it, I'm typically better using the Macgyver method [wrong tools I have at hand w/ no direction], than I am with proper tools and directions laid out in front of me.

10. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    For those of you into learning this sort of “primitive” (it isn’t) woodworking, I recommend “The Woodwright’s Shop” by Roy Underhill. It is…humbling yet still very, very educational. What I know is a cup, what he knows is an ocean. The sole thing I could teach Roy is what a good piece of wood for an instrument sounds like, and he’d get that concept in about fifteen seconds.

11. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    I (try to) use the appropriate tool for the job, and with a decent selection of "hand tools" in good shape, for a one-off rather than "let's build 100 of these" there are a number of times that the hand tools unapologetically win. And other than the miter trimmers (which I treat with all the respect they deserve, bloodthirsty things...), it's generally harder to take a finger off with them, too.

Was not always this way, but that had a lot to do with growing up where the various hand tools around had generally been abused and neglected so they did not work well - you really need to do "sharp" well for hand tools to perform at peak efficiency.

No longer a personal issue, but being trained up in "pushing sticks trough machines" wood-dorking meant I spent a long time without a shop as a student and early-jobholder (limited space and funds) which could have been a lot more wood-dorkable with a compact set of hand tools, but I knew not at that point.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
    mikewalker and tr4252 like this.
  12. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    20 minutes well spent... almost makes me want to go out in the woods and throw together a bass....

well... maybe I'll just go practice instead... or take a nap.

Strung_Low, Oddly and Jisch like this.
  13. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I followed a thread on here a few years back where a guy made a precision bass with little more than a jig saw, hand saw, rasp, sandpaper, and lots of elbow grease. Blew my mind. Product was great in the end.

14. tr4252

tr4252

May 27, 2013
    That was some cool video. I always enjoyed watching The Woodwright's Shop too, even learned a few tricks.

The guy in the video has obviously got considerable skills. Making those long rip cuts with such accuracy is really hard to do; and when he sketched out the profile of a Tele so effortlessly, you cold tell he has a lot of experience with this kind of work.

I too have built a couple of guitars the hard way. At least I had a band saw, drill press, and a belt sander along with a collection of generic chisels, files, etc. I would never attempt what the video guy has done though, it'd be impossible for me.

Odd thing; while I was writing this post, a female voice started reading the thread out loud. I must have pushed a wrong key or something. At first I thought it was kind of nifty, within 5 minutes I was irritated by it. Anybody know how to turn it off?

Tom

15. RichterScale

RichterScale

Feb 21, 2021
    WNY
    images (12).jpeg

16. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Serious answer: that will depend on the hardware and software you are using to read talkbass, so it's not a solution anybody but you has enough information to provide.

Luddite Answer: Smash it with a rock and submerge it in holy water before the deamon takes over your mind!

17. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    My fave guitar build of Burl’s is the coffee bean guitar.

Jisch likes this.
  18. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    That was awesome thanks!

19. First few builds I did were done in the kitchen. No room in the kitchen for a table let alone a bandsaw / drill press or belt sander.

Hand tools do the job same as power tools , just takes a bit longer .

20. In the 80’s I took a guitar repair course taught by a guy that learned to build classical and flamenco guitars in Spain.
    He did all his jointing with hand planes, used cabinet scrapers more than sandpaper and taught us how to use jute rope and wedges instead of clamps.
    He would slot a fingerboard with a square and a dovetail saw with the kerf flattened.
    Many of the Stewmac tools are nice, but not really necessary with the right knowledge and skills.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021