The no-no list

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Feb 16, 2002.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

So, seeing as how we "real" bassists are far too talented and sophisticated to allow any discussions on Fieldy or Gene Simmons to pollute this forum, it would be helpful for me to know the full list of censored bassists so I don't make any mistakes.

Here, I'll start:
    Danny Partridge.

Who else?
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

Gene Simmons
    Kip Winger
    Bobby Doll
    Nikki Sixx

Others merits are debateablt, but these are the No-nos I've found.

That and the Flea worship posts, as well as the legendary Flea vs. Threads!
  3. Danny Bonaduche AKA Danny Partridge. He's one of my bass heros :D
  4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    What's wrong with Gene, Kip, Bobby and Nikki?

5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Nothing, unless you don't like to hear the bass, and are a hure fan or Root notes.

oh...wait...are you? :eek: My bad.
  6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Shucks! Talk about any of `em if you don't mind deflecting occasional flak.

They've made more impact on the music than I have in all these years................... (Nonetheless, I'm prone to take potshots at Adam Clayton).
  7. Fuzzbass

I believe Brendan understood my point, which is: discussion of certain bassists is effectively censored by playa'-haters. Example: the recent Fieldy thread, where the initial poster specifically asked Fieldy-haters not to spoil the discussion, yet within just a few posts the Fieldy-haters ran wild, and next thing you know, we see "Woops, thread got nasty, better shut it down now".

I suspect that a Jaco-hater who started flamewars in Jaco threads would be kicked out of here rather quickly. And that would be proper: not because of Jaco's talent, but simply because it's rude to ruin any discussion with a flamewar. However, it's apparently OK to poop all over a Fieldy thread.

So, I just want to know which other bassists are despised around here to the point where rational discussion isn't possible. I think Brendan knows of what he speaks.
  8. Fuzzbass

Rickbass, I have no problem with you hating Adam Clayton or anyone else. I have no problem with someone hating Fieldy (trust me, I am not a Fieldy fan either). However I just think that if you see a thread specifically devoted to a bassist you hate, it's polite to ignore the thread and let the fans of that bassist have their discussion. That is all. (soapbox off)
  9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I forgot, according to TalkBass logic, if I am a fan of root notes, I'm not a "real" bassist.

Whether Nikki Sixx is a good "bassist" or not, Motley Crue is his band and he has written lots of cool tunes and made lots of money. KISS is Gene's band (started by Gene and Paul) and again, has written or co-written tons of songs and is a frickin' money-making genius. Everyone is familiar with at least one KISS song. Kip Winger? Hey, he did his thing and made some money too. Bobby Dall? Has never called himself a musician. He's publicly stated, "I never set out to be a musician, I wanted to be a rock and roll star -- and that's what I became." Like the others, he did his thing and made a nice sum of money. Everyone knows at least one Poison song as well.

FWIW, Fieldy does his thing too. He may not be your fave bassist, but his style fits the song, adds to Korn's "trademark" sound and can be instantly recognized when you hear him. Can anyone say the same for you or your fave bass players?

EDIT: I just realized that this whole post probably has no merit, because according to TalkBass logic, if you make money at what you do, you're not a real bassist either.
  10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

That's actually my attitude, too, Fuzz, (as you could see if you check any "love"/"hate" threads).

If I don't have anything useful/informative to add, or at least humorous, I don't see any reason to spoil someone's party.

Every once in a while you do see some threads that invite both fans as well as those who can't stand the bassist.
  11. SoggyTrousers

SoggyTrousers Guest

Jan 9, 2002
    Wayne, New Jersey
    Shavo from S.O.A.D
    Paul AND Justin from Tool
    the guy from H00bastank! *what the hell is a hoobastank?*

all high on my no-no list.
  12. As far as I am concerned you can talk about anyone you like as long as you don't violate forum rules. If you honestly wanted to talk about Fieldy, Sixx, or whoever and you had interesting things to discuss, where's the problem?
  13. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hategear...I mentioned those guys BECAUSE they are only marginally talented, and have made a buttload of money. Something sure to strike the ire of any musician who puts in the hours, pays their dues, and still get nowhere, a lot of the times much better musicians than the lot.

You sorta hit the reverse of what I intended, but, in effect, you still got ticked off, and certainly will continue to be ticked off...something that could (could: I'm not saying you're immature enough to get into a shouting match) lead to a thread getting out of hand. Now, we could go back and forth right? Untill both of us are blue in the face...but that would get a thread shut down...hence, they got on the no-no list. See my point?
  14. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    The thing is, being a musician - or should I say performer - is only to some degree about music. A (too big?) part of it today is image, public relations, promotion, and basically giving the audience what they want and can understand.

It's can be dangerous to over-estimate the audience. :)
  15. Fuzzbass

The problem is that I've seen a bunch of threads where fans wanted to discuss these bassists, but people who think these bassists don't rate come in and make comments that are so nasty that the thread gets shut down.

From what Iv'e seen, much of the time it isn't the fans of these bassists that violate the forum rules, it is the people who hate those bassists that do so... that, or they provoke the fans into violating the rules. The net result is a sanctimonious form of censorship.
  16. Fuzzbass

Yep... that has always been true and probably always will be true. Britney Spears lip-synchs her way to a fortune while teachers and police officers struggle to make ends meet. The problem lies with capitalism, not Britney Spears. I don't mean to be anti-capitalist, I only wonder why some people seem so surprised.

I also don't understand how some people can be so conceited that they think they can tell others what musicians (or types of music) they should/should not like. (Yeah, I know: "Fuzzbass, that's the way it's always been, don't act so surprised". ;) )
  17. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Why would anyone want to hate Adam Clayton? He doesn't always play root.
    Fuzzbass likes this.
  18. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Bass players who feel the need to always bash certain players who aren't what they consider good should take a good look at themselves. Could it be that they feel inadequate, and therefore it makes them feel better about themselves to think they are better than others? I wouldn't call Nikki Sixx a great, or even good bass player, but he plays what fits the style of music Motley Crue plays. The same goes for Gene Simmons and Fieldy. But they have a lot of fans, and if that inspires some young bass players to learn then that is a good thing (in fact, some 26 years ago Kiss inspired this bass player to learn to play). There is something to be learned from any music or musician, no matter how simple. I think good (and smart) bass players keep an open mind. And sometimes simple is better. I've played all kinds of music with challenging bass lines, from Rush to Zeppelin to Cream to Jaco, but sometimes it is nice to just lock in a groove and rock out. So get off your high horses and stop being snobs about music.
    Fuzzbass and BigDanT like this.
  19. JaggedB

Jan 26, 2002
    Columbus, OH
    I agree Showdown. It's all about playing music. If you can play walking bass lines or Jaco-esque lines then great! I hope I get there someday. If you can only play three notes, but you groove on those notes like nobody's business great!

I do not consider myself good by any measure, but I love doing it. I will play any type of music that I get the chance too (as long as it is within my capabilities...) just to get together and jam. I play things I would never buy or listen to, but because I'm doing it it's fun.

Well, I don't do the soapbox thing too often, so I'll get off now...

20. ....maybe it's just me but I don't see anything in the Talkbass rules that prevents the posting of Fieldy (or any other bassist) related topics.