1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The noobiest of noobs

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by PinkHairedFreak, Mar 11, 2013.

1. PinkHairedFreak

PinkHairedFreak

Mar 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Hey all,

Brand new to tb and even newer to playing bass! I just got my bass and amp this last weekend, and I'm trying to figure out how to play the damn thing. I'd like to learn to use sheet music as well as tab. I'm a classically trained singer, so I know music theory. Any advice on books or websiteswith good lesson plans would be great!

Thanks

2. ancientrocker

ancientrocker supporting member

Mar 7, 2013
    Welcome PinkHairedFreak,

Let me be the first to welcome you to TB. I, too, just joined and I'm finding the forum to be quite helpful.

As to your question, there are several books I bought, either at a book store or at Amazon.com, that I found to be helpful. Bass Guitar For Dummies and The Complete Idiot's Guide to Playing Bass Guitar. The most important lesson you can learn is to memorize the fretboard and to learn all the different ways of playing riffs.

I hope this helps.

3. PinkHairedFreak

PinkHairedFreak

Mar 11, 2013
    Chicago
    Hey Ancient,

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely check those out! I also just discovered scottsbasslessons.com and am loving that.

Phf

4. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks.

Jan 25, 2011
    Camarillo, CA
  5. pizzazombie

pizzazombie

Dec 19, 2012
    Switzerland
    Ed Friedland makes very good bass instruction books