The "not another Ampeg thread" thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FretNoMore, Sep 29, 2002.

1. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    OK, so Ampeg is OK, but what's up with all these threads right now? Ampeg the new flavour-of-the-month, or is Ampeg staple goods that will always be around? ;)
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Well, thay've been around for over 30 years, I don't think they're going anywhere soon.
  3. jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    ya know i was thinking the same thing while i was scrolling down.....
  4. Ampeg has been around a long time (even by "old-world" business standards). In that time the brand-name "Ampeg" built (and maintained) a good reputation and following. In modern times (SLM) very savvy marketing has paid off extremely well. IMO, no other company is as recognizable and it's as simple as that.
  5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, I know that MY Ampeg isn't going anywhere soon.:)
  6. I love the Ampeg. A lot of us just like it, plain and simple.
  7. Ditto :D
  8. Mine are going somewhere hopefully. I can get a different Ampeg.
  9. rok51

Sep 2, 2002
    Crawfordville, FL
    Couldn't bear to part with mine

10. pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    Try one wouldnt part with mine
  11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing Ampeg, only commenting on the sudden invasion of Ampeg threads on this list. :)

I used to have an Ampeg preamp and a Crown Macro-Tech power amp driving one Ampeg 4x10 and one 1x15. I traded the 1x15 for a second 4x10 as I felt the 1x15 didn't handle any volume, it just crapped out. Then again, the 4x10s didn't really do it in terms of bottom end. The preamp I could never get to be quiet enough, it had a bit too much hiss and hum. That and the weight of the whole system got to be too much.

So I sold it all and got a small combo and eventually a PA. The Crown amp is now driving the PA speakers instead.

This was however really before I knew what I was doing sound-wise, so it's quite possible I would get better results today.
  12. The vintage Ampeg gear is sweet.Many people don`t like their newer fare but I purchesed my B2R
    because I thought it sounded best to me in that price range,etc.
  13. I've been playing for around 10 years now & I have always dreamed about the day I have the money to buy a Classic 1976 SVT(year I was born:cool:). Besides the fact that I think the 410HLF is the sickest sounding 410 available for a -grindy- sound (Please be aware this is only my opinion). Although I have had a SVT3 and a Eden WT-800 and did not like them at all (at least for what I personally am looking for in an amp), I now have the Tech 21 Landmark 600 bass head and think that it completely shreds, warm, punchy, and present as hell, and all solid state too! Wierd, Huh?

14. tim4003

Apr 30, 2002
    Dawsonville , GA
    You gotta love a company that stands behind their amps for 5 years. All you have to do is hang on to the reciept. And the warranty is transferable! You have to have faith in your goods to do that!
  15. barroso

Aug 16, 2000