Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the numbers on strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Czugi, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Czugi

Czugi

Feb 2, 2002
    im not sure, (i got to get stronger contact lenses) but i think last time i went to my local store i saw the bass strings had this numbers on them, like: 60. 80. 100 or like 20. 30. 50. i dunno, making those up now but u probably get the point. so what do they mean? and how do i find out which ones my bass has on?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    diameter in inches AFAIK

3. If you go to this site.

http://www.bandinstrumentservice.com/cgi-bin/CategoryList.asp?subcategory2=Bass Strings

You can see those numbers are in relationship to the diameter of the string.

example: GHS boomers Medium Light Guage Bass Guitar Strings. Roundwound nickel plated steel wrap. The original "Power Strings". Fits standard long scale (34") 4 string basses. Guages: .045, .065, .080, .100.

or

GHS Boomers Light Bass Guitar Strings. Roundwound nickel plated steel wrap. The original "Power Strings". Fits standard long scale (34") 4 string basses. Guages: .040, .055, .075, .095.

The first being mediums and the second being lights!

Hope that helps.

[​IMG]
    Treena