1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The octave in the Bass Synth Wah vs the octave in the Meatbox

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by DDXdesign, Dec 20, 2016.

1. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    I really like the octave down sound from the BSW (mode 2, mode 7) - it's not OC2ish, sure, but it's nice and solid, even on the low E, and even gets a bit of growl to it.

I'm curious about the Meatbox though - ignoring the brown-note sub for a moment, the normal octave down sounds similar to the BSW's, no? Is the Meatbox analog or digital?; that is to say, would it be as solid and non-glitchy as the BSW's octave, seeing as how DOD and Digitech are basically one and the same...

Might be a silly thought when I can just flip the synth wah to mode 7 and cut the synth sound out for pure octave, but what if I want to use another mode *and* have an octave? =0)

2. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    the meatbox is glitchy at times since it is analog. there's not much of a "normal" setting on it.

3. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    interesting, i guess in the videos I've seen it sounded a lot like the solid octave from the BSW so I thought it *might* be the same. I need to see if I can try one out somewhere.

4. I have both and will try and do a video after Christmas :)

5. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I'm looking forward to this! All the videos around seem to concentrate on the "sub" portions of the pedal. I haven't yet found one that entertains the idea of the Meatbox as a straight up octave down pedal.

6. Mantic Density Hulk
    Smokes the lot

7. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    i
    I can't find a good comparison video anywhere. The Juan Alderate one sucks... Care to make one?

8. I sincerely doubt I have anything to record it on which will do it justice, I will try though..
    And I agree about Juans video sucking... bad

9. Ok shonky video alert!

OK this is the first video I have ever done! It was recorded with my GoPro (which I only got last month) and the audio with my Alesis Core 1 in to GarageBand on my macbook. I edited it in iMovie (sorry if the audio is a little out of sync).

Excuses out of the way: I used my Ibanez SR305, my TC flashback to loop the riff which starts in E on the A string. EQ was flat both pickups, into the HiFi DI setting in GB. I threw in the OC2 and the Subnup — which was dropped off as I was setting up. Hope you enjoy.

vivaknoxvegas and ukedealer like this.
  10. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    hey not bad! shoulda used mode 7 on the BSW with the 3rd knob off just to get the octave sound without the filter added, and maybe hold some notes, but pretty good nonetheless. thanks.

Berkowitzum and Jonny_Orange like this.
  11. Cool vid Jonny!

Jonny_Orange likes this.
  12. Thanks I might try another one at some point, but been playing with the sub up this evening.

ukedealer likes this.
  13. @jammadave I will try that on mode 7, what settings are you using on mode 2?

14. DDXdesign

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    oh since mode 2 cant do octave alone i embrace the filter combo and run 9:00, 11:00, 7 to 10:00 on the knobs.

15. Berkowitzum

Berkowitzum

Aug 25, 2013
    Venezuela
    I use the bass synth wah like this, and with control knob you can control the amount of the sub WhatsApp Image 2017-07-19 at 1.42.28 PM.

Jonny_Orange likes this.
  16. jw23mind

jw23mind

Jan 16, 2017
    Reading MA
    Wanted to mention, the Meatbox does not do a one octave down per-say, but rather a sub-range octave down; ie even if you play the highest note on the bass the Meatbox will still synthesize a sub 100 Hz note.
    Also, in my opinion the Meatbox is better than the Density Hulk. I owned both then went back to the Meatbox. They essentially sounded the same, and just as glitchy, except the Hulk had less output and was much harder for me to get a decent level of blended clean with the sub. I would have to crank up the 30Hz and 60Hz EQ knobs to get the same levels as with the Meatbox, and not only was there not enough level but at that point I was concerned that I was merely eq'ing up the low frequency already present in my clean signal rather than generating the sub. I wondered if people describe it as "smoother/cleaner" and "better tracking" simply because the signal going into the sub circuit seems to be attenuated; ei they made it harder to overdrive the sub circuit.

superheavyfunk and ansonsti like this.