Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The odds of me frying this circuit board...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Apr 10, 2005.

1. hello all,
    so here is my situation. there is a broken gain pot on my effect pedal. i have the replacement part (exact same as the first, only not broken). my plan thus far is to desolder the pot at the solder points, slip the pot out, and fit the new pot in. what are the chances of me rendering the whole thing useless?
    is there something i should be careful of?

2. Basstyra

Basstyra Commercial User

Apr 3, 2005
    France
    CTO @ Two notes Audio Engineering
    Soldering isn't really hard. Just keep one thing in mind : heat FAST, don't let the soldering iron on the part too long. The heat will damage the parts otherwise. A little more powerful iron than what we find in supermarkets is convenient for that (40 or 50 watts for example).

You'll also need an unsoldering (does that exist ??) pump, I think. It's not expensive and very useful.

You can practice on other think if you're not assured of yourself. Damaged electronical appliances for example.

3. Dell

Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    Yeah, pretty much what the poster before said. To help take heat away from the joint your soldering grip it with some metal pliers. If you've never solderd anything before practice on something already broken. Make sure you dont use too much solder too, you dont want it to spread across two connections on the PCB, and have one of those solder pumps that suck up solder ready in case you need it.

4. thanks guys, i should have said that i have done plenty of soldering, but this is my first time doing it on PC board. i just wanted to make sure that nothing will go wrong the way i said. or at least i want to know what could go wrong if i do something incorrectly.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Also, since the part is damaged, cut the pot from the leads if you can, so you can get pliers in there better and pull them out one lead at a time.

6. If you don't already have one of those solder-sucker de-soldering tools, get some solder braid. It's fine braided copper wire, kind of like the shielding you find in coax cable, but that's it. No other wires or insulation or anything. Get the solder on the PCB hot then put the braid on top of it and put the tip of your solder iron on top of the braid. The braid will act like a sponge and absorb all the molten solder out of the solder joint on the PCB. Great stuff!

~ Charlie