The Offical "I Never KNEW Anything Could Go That Fast That Quick" thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Supernova67, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Supernova67

Jun 21, 2005
    i did a search and didnt see anything so i was wondering how many of you have had an experiance where you accelerated so fast you felt you brain start to leak out your ear, soiled yourself, etc. ?

i can drive yet but my neighbor just gave me a ride on his new bike......OMG

1 word 1 number

Ducati 999

2. One time my neighbor gave me a ride in his 56 Chevy with a '99? Vette engine. Holy crap, I about peed in my pants. Very fast.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Lamborghini Countach. 2AM West Valley Highway in Tukwila, about 12 years ago. If anything with wheels is faster than that car, I'd be surprised.

4. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Fastest accelerating thingies I've driven/ridden in, in order of fastest to slowest (at least how they felt, not scientific analysis):

Formula Atlantic racecar
    1984 Mustang with supercharged, nitrous 460cid motor (this actually might be the fastest in reality, this car runs sub 10s quarters, but I wasn't driving and the Formula Atlantic felt much, much faster).
    Ferrari Testerossa
    Dodge Viper SRT10
    911 GT3
  5. Lucky. I envy you sir.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    No kidding.
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

8. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I don't have any numbers but my old shifter kart felt like an explosion. My helmet was tethered to the steering column to protect my neck.

Tash, that is a hell of a list of cars. I would LOVE to take a spin in an Atlantic car!
  9. Silver Hill Road in Georgia. 1 mile long downhill. On rollerblades. 37.5 MPH. According to GPS.

Not as fast as a Lambo. But when you come around a blind corner and there's an ambulance blocking the road, 37.5 MPH feels pretty darn fast on rollerblades.

10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Aircraft carrier steam catapult.

0-100 knots in a little over 300 feet.
  11. You win.

I was going to throw out 12 guys crammed into a Blackhawk flying nap of the earth.

But you win. Hands down.
  12. Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
  13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I thought this was going to be a sex advice thread...
  14. I bet it would be interesting to be launched from an aircraft carrier via catapult...
  15. But not in an aircraft...
  16. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    I've done it about half a dozen times (Cat shot). Unfortunately it's always in a Greyhound (Navy cargo plane) and never an F14 :bassist: . The shot is heckuvalotmore fun than the trap (landing), that is nothing more than a controlled crash. 100-0 knots in about 50 feet. Hate it. I puked the first time I did it many, many years ago.
  17. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

Prolly going from 45 MPH to zero in 3 feet when crashing after a speed sailing run (windsurfing). The sail often whips you into a half-gainer before you land on it backwards and upside down, and the fact that there's water involved doesn't help nearly as much as you'd expect. I separated my shoulder doing this once, not too much fun. When you pull off a power jibe at that speed it's pretty cool though, you're pulling some Gs.

I've also raced in a few alpine skiing downhills, and when the energy in the ski releases off a compression or in a turn, the acceleration is kinda shocking the first few times. We averaged around 60+ MPH on the Masters course we ran on, but top speeds were less than 10 MPH over that. So you would accelerate to full speed in maybe 10 seconds or less, while turning once or twice, which is good clean fun in my book. :cool:
  18. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK guys are all lightweights:

67,000mph - my velocity right now.

(The speed of the earth travelling round the sun)
  19. Trust Mark to turn this into something intellectual :p Back to going real fast, 1972 LJ Torana with supercharged 202 Blue Motor @ 232Km/Hr on an Australian Highway at night, night makes it feel faster! :eek: