Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Office (with Steve Carrel)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Mar 30, 2005.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    so...anyone else catch it last night?

daily show fan that i am, i have to see anything featuring any of its former cast (sans fox's "method and red," which had beth littleford and was rightfully cancelled quickly!).

it was pretty funny, despite it being on a major network. it was really offensive--i'm kind of surprised that nbc is still going with it.

the premise of the episode was a racial sensitivity seminar. now, this plot feels very similar to anyone who saw a particular episode of andy richter controls the universe, but the similar subject was treated differently.

i'd recommend catching it next week. i have a suspicion that it might not last long on nbc.

why do i think so? one of the gags in the episode last night was the workers had to pick an index card with a race on it and glue it to their foreheads. then they had to say stereotypes to each other. ...and most of the people accidentally picked their own race.

a bit on the offensive side for network tv. anyway, very funny stuff.

(this was originally a show on the bbc, correct?)

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    That sounds hilarious. Steve Carrel is hilarious but I really think he's best suited for what he does on the Daily Show. Same thing with Beth Littleford. I was sad to see her go and noticed that the female anchors that came after her all seemed to try and imitate her. She was so funny on that show.

brad cook

3. i liked it, i thought it was pretty good, i will probably watch it again...

4. I'll have to catch it soon. Steve Carrel is one of the funniest guys on tv, IMHO.

5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I don't think that was the premire, because it's been on for two weeks now, and I saw one before it. Really funny, dry yet insane, which I dig.

6. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    I saw the premiere and was suitably impressed. I have the BBC version Season 1 of The Office on DVD and I didn't think a US network could pull it off. It's a bit different, but it's still funny.

The gags kind of fall flat the second time around - but still not bad all round.

DD

7. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    really? damn.

i just saw ads for it (on the internet, of all places) last week.

8. I can only hope it's funnier than the UK Office which is just utter crap.

9. metalguy2

metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    No... If anything they are gonna butcher the hell out of that series.. I love it though. They win an award. So NBC buys the premise for the show. And get better looking actors and comedians to play that parts.

10. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I cast thee out!

The UK version of The Office was quite possibly one of the funniest TV series ever made. I can only assume that you didnt relate to it Nick because you haven't actually worked in an office. I'm actually kinda surprised the US networks would try to make their own version because I can't imagine it could ever come close to the hillarity of the UK original.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I really want to see it. From Brad's description it sound's pretty funny. Steve Carrel is hilarious too.

brad cook

12. It really isnt. father Ted, Fawlty Towers, etc pwn it. Ricky Gervais is a talentless blob.

13. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

Having seen both the original on BBC America and the remake on NBC, I can say that the remake falls quite short of the original, although it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Somethings about the original, like the pauses, just don't translate well in the remake.

14. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    i never saw the original but hear great things about it.

i think the tone is a little different in the u.s. version. they try to give it a very "serious" tone, i guess to contrast with the absurdity of what's going on.

"ok, name a race that you are sexually attracted to."
    "i have two: white and indian."
    *close up on indian woman sitting next to him*

:D

15. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I watched it. It was okay (actually, I'll give it a 'pretty good')

The funniest part, IMO, was the scene where the guy was confusing the definitions of Hero and Super Hero.
    :D

16. I have season one of the original, and it is MUCH better than the US version. I highly recomend that everyone check it out.

17. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - I saw bits and it looked decidedly unfunny - a bit where the main character is just shouting "wazzup" ... :rollno:

The original Office was only funny as it was so true to life in Offices - everybody knows a Ricky Gervais character and all the things in the show, have really happened in offices I worked in - it's the cringe of recognition!! :D

18. Timbo

Timbo

Jun 14, 2004
    Is Brick ( from Anchorman ) the boss?

And.. I saw it and it was pretty funny.

19. If it don't live up to the original Office, it must have been REALLY REALLY REAAAAAAAALLLY crap.

20. cetera

cetera

Apr 29, 2004
    Surrey, England
    Endorsing Artist: Spector Basses & Cort Basses
    You have to be old enough to have a job.... AND preferably work in an office to get it Nick... :rolleyes: