Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Official 2004 Tour de France Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Jul 3, 2004.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well we had a good thread last year about the TdF. So let's hear it. Time for all the Lance fans and haters and Jan Ullrich fans etc...to speak up. Armstrong got off to a good start in the prologue, coming in second and 15 seconds ahead of Ullrich.

He'll probably have a similar showing as last year...not in the lead in the early and sprint stages, kick a$$ and pull ahead in the mountains and then whether he breaks the record or not with a 6th win will come down to the final stages. He wasn't looking near as good last year as he previously had and I think that motivated him to go balls out in training this year. I think he'll break the record unless he encounters a serious injury.

And please...if you're a Lance hater and don't want to see him win then please explain why. Personally I think it's always cool to see someone break a major record in sports.

brad cook

2. lance is cool in my book

plus, he has an upstarting acting career if the whole biking thing doesnt work out. hes in commercials, and did u see that cameo-thing in dodgeball? lol x some number!!!

plus again, i think his new hit single is going to premere soon. :D

we love you lance!!! by we i mean me and by love i mean :) love :)

3. Lance has been in far too many commercials as of late, but hes still one of the best athletes ever and I hope he wins his 6th straight.

4. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    GO LANCE!

5. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    What he said...

6. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    He's an incredible athlete and an inspiring human being. After everything he's gone through, I hope he breaks the record.

Go Lance!

7. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Watching stage2 now on OLN...looks rainy.
    I hope lance can do it, being a recreational racer myself i really respect the work the pro racers have to go through to get to that level.

Now if Tyler Hamilton could get 2nd that would rock too :bassist:

8. Frijoles Negros

Frijoles Negros

Mar 21, 2004
    Do they put the Tour de Lance on anything other than OLN?
    I never see it in a sports bar, and they usually only put the highpoints on ESPN.
    This race is huge. Go Lance!

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Go Lance!!

I just bought a Bicycling magazine special issue on him.

Remeber when he won the world championship--what was that, 1989 or 1990, around there?

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well the big news from the 3rd stage was that Iban Mayo fell on the cobblestones and lost almost 4 minutes. Armstrong is currently in 5th at 16 seconds behind...which seems about right for him at this early stage. Ullrich is 31 secs behind at 18th place overall. He and Lance finished the 3rd stage at about the same time.

brad cook

11. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    ALLEZ!! ARMSTRONG!!! ;)

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    After the 4th stage, the team time trials, Armstrong is now wearing the yellow jersey.

brad cook

13. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Ahhhh yeah! Another Lance fan here. I wish I wish I wish I had cable. Who has the polka dot jersey? After doing my AIDS ride, I'm hooked. Outside magazine has a great issue mostly devoted to the Tour and its riders. A friend of mine wrote one of the articles.

Marshall

14. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I became a Lance fan last year. I attended a management seminar where they showed this documentary on Lance, a cancer survivor. What he puts himself through to prepare for this race is beyond amazing. I have never seen a finer example of persistence and self determination.

15. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Phhhht.. Whats 4 minutes anyway? My man Iban will be back. You just watch. ;) :meh: :D

Travis

16. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    Whats Up with this years rule changes? they created a rule that directly effects armstrong (historically the strongest team time trialer)More than anyone else.

Aj

17. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    What rule change is that?

18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This sometimes happens in sports where one person dominates for a long time. It happened in the PGA with Tiger Woods and now it's happening with Lance. There's the added problem for Lance that the international community has a big say in it and wants to see someone else win.

brad cook

19. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well US Postal (Armstrong) just won last year, the year before it was ONCE (Beloki), 2001 it was CREDIT AGRICOLE (O'Grady) so you theory flies out of the window...

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    US Postal won last year. This year we have the new rule. I don't think the theory is far-fetched.

brad cook

EDIT: Actually I'm thinking US Postal didn't win the team contest last year. Are you sure about that? I still think this rule is aimed at Lance though and keeping a rope on his lead.