The 'Official' 4 string extended scale bass club

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by B-Mac, Aug 17, 2018.

1. >34"<35"

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. 35"

26 vote(s)
    76.5%
  3. 36"

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. 37"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. >37"

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  6. fretless >34"<35"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. fretless 35"

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. fretless 36"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. fretless 37"

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. B-Mac

B-Mac Just like Aretha Sang... R-E-S-P-E-C-T Supporting Member

I noticed a few extra long scale clubs start and then fizzle out. Well, I'd like to start a club just for 4 string extended scale basses. Not more than 4 strings and not multi scale fanned fret basses.

Requirements: 4 strings & over 34" scale for all 4 strings. Fretless versions are also included if such a thing actually exists.

If anyone wants a number please ask and post a picture of your 4 string extended scale bass.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  2. B-Mac

...Just picked this 35" scale up today. Should have it next week. They make these in soap bar humbucker as pictured as well as P J style with split single coil P style at neck and single coil j style at bridge.
    Used $99 plus $45 shipping. This will be my first 35" scale 4 string. Most Edge 10 models were solid colors except I believe for the 2012 model per the catalog info I have.

[edit 08-21-2018] I have determined that this is actually the Edge 1Q with an Edge 10A 35" scale neck, which has the same offset dot inlays as the Edge 1Q. The Edge 1Q is Passive and was made in smaller numbers compared to the Dean Edge 1, which did not have the Quilt Maple Tiger Eye top available. This is my 'Franken Deanster'! Why should Fender owner's have the monopoly on the 'Franken' jargon? LOL! :roflmao:

p1n9ykw2omdptaje8nox-jpg-jpg.jpg

Leftka and SlimS like this.
  3. 58kites

58kites Save a life....adopt a Pitbull

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    1997 Peavey G Bass.
    35" scale graphite neck with ajustable truss rod
    Pau Ferro fretboard
    (1) VFL Plus wide aperture active humbucking pickup
    18v / 3-band active tone control
    DSCN1735.jpg DSCN1773.jpg DSCN1775.jpg

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
  4. B-Mac

5. 58kites

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    Peavey says...
    The low and high controls are shelving type equalization, the mid control is peaking type.
    Rotating the high control clockwise gives 10dB boost to frequencies above 2kHz.
    Rotating the low control clockwise gives 10dB boost to frequencies below 100Hz.
    Rotating the mid control clockwise gives 10dB boost to the band of frequencies from 200Hz to 800 Hz (centered at 400Hz).
    When controls are at center, the EQ is flat.
    Rotating any of the controls counterclockwise will cut those same frequencies by 10dB.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    B-Mac likes this.
  6. B-Mac

What about noise?

7. 58kites

Oct 21, 2014
    Austin Texas
    The pickup is an active humbucker, so noise is not an issue.

B-Mac likes this.
  8. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    A bit of a repost but I've also been completely won over by the 35" 4 string thing. Here's my story.

Two years ago I came across a used Carlo in Carl Pedigo's basement-of-Lakland workhop. I was initially drawn by the 1.75" nut (rare on boutique instruments) but the "35 scale was amazing. Put it on layaway and brought it home a few months later.
    NBD: My Carlo. Lakland lines but with a little something extra.
    It's basically a custom 4-94

It immediately became my most played bass and I so loved the 35" scale that I decided to get a similarly scaled and dimensioned fretless. My Wendler arrived last year and it's also amazing. Completely worth the 5 instruments (including my last 5 string) I sold to pay for it.
    NBD: Wendler Electrocoustic (Chttps://www.talkbass.com/threads/its-like-a-nbd-low-down-bass-overhauls-my-jazz.1321267/ustom Cedar-Bodied 35" Fretless)

Then last year I asked Tim Seisser of "Lowdown Bass" make a conversion neck for my parts jazz based on the neck on my Carlo.
    It's like a NBD! Low Down Bass overhauls my Jazz!
    Loving it.

The Lowdown mod turned out so well, I'm having Tim build a new 35", 70's style Telebass to house the two darkstars that formerly resided in a Decade-style parts bass I had built. After I get this bass I will probably turn the Carlo into BEAD to better serve the gospel music I've been playing on Sunday mornings.

The end result is that by the end of the year I will have downsized from 11 or so electric basses to 6. All will have p-width necks and asside from my T-40 and my first bass (a much modded MIM P) they will all be 35", 4 strings.

Here's the three 35" 4 strings I have so far.
    20180105_115615-jpg.jpg
    I really could be happy with just these, but I so loved the sound of the darkstar pickups in my old (much too heavy) franken bass that I think having a bass built for them that will be even lighter (a priority for me these days) than the Jazz will really wrap things up nicely.

B-Mac likes this.
  9. B-Mac

The fretless looks like it has a really small/narrow body compared to the other two basses?

10. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    It does. The body is actually quite a bit longer than the other two ( to prevent dive) but it is much much narrower and much thinner and is carved out from the back.

If you take a look at the pictures at the linked bit you can see a side-by-side comparison with a P-bass and pictures of the back carve. It only weights about 5.8 pounds!

B-Mac likes this.
  11. B-Mac

That thing is pretty amazing. Never saw a 'bowled' out back like that. I'm gonna have to take the time to actually read through rather than just look at the pictures.

12. Eilif

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    At the risk of tooting my own horn I think it is worth reading through, if only to see the multiple ways that Mr. Wendler diverges from "regular" bass building. They're not drastically different, but it's a whole series of little divergences that results in a very different instrument.

II should point out that the body of my instrument is slightly modified from his standard shape as I asked him to make a longer body (even if it meant a couple less frets) to compensate for the 35" neck and lighter weight and avoid neck dive. IMHO it was definitely worth the small upcharge for a new body shape. I have zero fretless GAS now.

13. B-Mac

58kites,

Welcome to the official 4 string extended scale bass club!!!

You have been officially issued Member Number 2

14. B-Mac

Eilif,
    Welcome to the official 4 string extended scale bass club!!!
    You have been officially issued Member Number 3

15. B-Mac

Well, we got 12 votes and 5 members
    #1 B-Mac
    #2 58kites
    #3 Eilif
    #4 flashgod
    #5 nalapit13

[edit: 09-10-2018]
    [edit: 09-28-2018]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2018
  16. B-Mac

17. B-Mac

18. B-Mac

19. B-Mac

20. B-Mac

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021