Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The official Euro 2004 thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JMX, Jun 12, 2004.

1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hosts Portugal loose 1 : 2 against Greece. Seems this championship is gonna be full of surprises.

Who else is watching?

2. Muhwi

Muhwi

Jun 8, 2004
    Finland
    Yep. Greece played fine, overall it was a good match. If they do this well against the other teams they might get far, atleast further than Portugal if they continue to play as they did :rolleyes:

3. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Hockey? Tennis? Hi-Li? (SP?)

4. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ts, ts, ts, football, of course.

Soccer for those who play football with their hands :p ;)

5. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Oh ok. Does anyone know how to spell hi-li?

6. I watched the Portugal-Greece game. Disappointing for the Portugese, they really weren't having a good game and it must have been hard to lose in front of their home fans. Greece did play well, especially their wall of defense in the second half, but Portugal gave up too many bad passes in their own zone and missed a lot of scoring chances.

I missed the Russia-Spain game but that one went the way everyone expected it to. Spain tends to underperform in large competitions, but they should make it to the next round, at least.

Tomorrow's France and England! I'll probably miss that game but it should be a nice show. Worst of all, I'm missing Italy's first game on Monday because of exams! But I do expect them to win their group, so it's no big deal.

7. do any americans know if it is being aired here? I'd like to watch it.

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    jai a'lai?

9. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    a bit reluctant, but i'm watching. i think our players r all spoiled millionaires and don't take any pride in defending our colours except for RUUD VAN NISTELROOY ofcourse!!.

that portugal coach doesn't have the guts to put couto and costa on the bench and play more agressive football. that's their downfall. they won everything under 18, 21 etc. i don't think they are going to do well.

greece put the knife on their throats and pressed them. besides that, greece has a very good coach, former real madrid and bayern munchen coach. he knew exactly what to do and did it well. tight defense and a VERY agressive midfield, compact play. well done greece!
    by the way, where the hell is nikos machlas?

oh, and by the way JMX, deutschland sollte nicht siegen am dienstag gegen die niederlandischen mannschaft. wanna bet?

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The germans are gonna beat the netherlands ;)

Oh, and im quite confident that England are going to win 4 - 0 today...

In my dreams :'(

11. Come on England! Gotta beat the French.

Good match that Portugal one, lot of respect for Greece.

12. My brother and a few of my friends in LA get Fox Sports World and Fox Sports Net. They air some premiere league games, so maybe you can catch it there?

No idea, sorry. I'm back in Hong Kong, where the games are on at around 2am. :crying:

13. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Ik denk niet dat het lukt. (Hope that was not too wrong?) They played to badly lately, but you never know...

14. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    I´m going to try to watch every game of this Euro.. fortunately I´m on summer vacation so I have all the time in the world :)

Even though Portugals defeat was unexpected, it sort of maked sense though... The golden generetation in Portugeese football has not been able to produce the goods in a major tournament so far and I suspect they won´t go far in this one either.

I am supporting the English team, I´m afraid though that they won´t make it farther then quarter finals.

This will be a fun tournament though.. the referees seem to be taking their job very serious and they are not afraid to show the yellow cards.

15. So how does the tournmanet work anyway? Is it similar to the world cup where you play a few games in your group, then two teams advance from each into a single elimination style tourney?

16. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yup, 16 teams divided into four groups. The top two teams in each group advance to the quarter finals.

For those who don´t know, here´s a list of the teams competing:
    • Bulgaria
    • Croatia
    • Czech Republic
    • Denmark
    • England
    • France
    • Germany
    • Greece
    • Italy
    • Latvia
    • Netherlands (Holland)
    • Portugal
    • Russia
    • Spain
    • Sweden
    • Switzerland

17. I didn't know Russia was considered a european country? Oh well.

I predict an english win of 2-1 today. Hope I'm right. Not that it matters though....Switzerland has been crippled by injuries and Croatia isn't exactly a threat, so England and France should advance from their group fairly easily.

As for the whole tourney, my heart is with England, but my mind is with Germany.

Turns out none of my stations are carrying this, but hopefully somewhere I can find a live webcast.

18. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

www.soccernet.com

There on the page you can find a live webcast of every game, it´s called gamecast

19. Thanks Ívar! You saved me a good hour or so of looking. Now I just hope I get the game times right (the euro2004.com site lists everything in portugal time)

20. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Well, the Eastern (geographical) border of Europe is the Ural, so Russia belongs to the European continent, at least some part of it.