Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The official European thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vorago, May 1, 2005.

1. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Canadian thread, American thread, well guess what; this is the official European thread! :) European Tb'ers are a minority here, so, let's hear it, where are you from? Feel free to share interesting info on local luthiers. I'm always reading about all those high-end Us basses, but I'm pretty sure there are some well hidden european gems out there too!

I'm from Belgium, best beer in the world :)

I don't know if the UK TB'ers want to participate, feel free to join, but I don't know if you guys see the UK as a part of Europe or not.

2. walewein

walewein

Jun 13, 2003
    Belgium
  3. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hungary! / Magyarország

One of the worst-managed countries of Europe with overly hyppocritic and shameless politicians... does that count? :D

4. I've been to Spain, does that count? :p

5. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    The only thing I know about Hungary is that Hungarian is a language that is extremely hard, because it has no relations with other European languages..could you confirm this?

6. alibloke

alibloke

Dec 17, 2004
    Bristol, England
    UK here!

For the most part I think the younger generation do consider us to be a part of Europe. :)

However, opinions vary enormously, and as a result I don't know if we will be joining the single currency anytime soon.

7. If countries with hypocritical and shameless politicians wouldn't count, you would probably have to dismiss ALL countries. ;)

I'm from Belgium myself, and like Vorago said, it's the country with the best beer in the world !

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I loved Ireland and i cant wait ot get back their. :hyper:

9. Mankind

Mankind

Oct 20, 2003
    England
    England - London :ninja:

10. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Yes, it is true. Many say it is the second hardest-to-learn language of the world - first is Chinese because of the pictograms.
    It's a big melting pot (hun/scythian/hungarian ugor roots, with finnish, indo-european, turkish, slavish and german influence from the neighbours), but it still has a unique logic that is different from the logic of most other languages, that's what makes it hard. Like the plurals, construction of words regarding vowel harmony and vowel gradation; or even names, as they are written family name first.

As for other things to know about Hungary, we have the highest emigrated Nobel-prize winner/still living here Nobel-prize winner ratio :smug: A bit odd.
    Some inventions that I remember right now:
    Tangent (from maths) - János Királyhegyi
    Electric motors and generators - Ányos Jedlik, though Siemens patented it first
    Safety matches - János Irinyi
    the improved version of Faraday's transformator, which is still used today - Déry, Bláthy and Zippernovszky
    Carburator - Csonka and (I forgot)
    Ballpoint pens - Bíró
    Electric locomotive systems - Kálmán Kandó
    Ascorbic acid (vitamin C) - Albert Szentgyörgyi
    The working principals of the computer - János Neumann
    Nuclear power plant - designed by a group of emigrated Hungarian scientists
    Hydrogen bomb - Leó Szilárd, also Ede Teller
    The "Hot Line" between Washington and Moscow - Ede Teller
    Holograms - Dénes Gábor

and more, but I don't remember them right now.

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    No, as Vorago said that Belgium has the best beer, we have these politicians, is it something to be proud of? ;)

12. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    how does the vowel harmony work when building plurals? I study german and dutch, and languages interest me alot.

13. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    This thread smells funny.

brad cook

14. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    It's the smell of quality food :spit:

:D

15. I guess i'm the only one who has to post a map of europe so you guys know where the hell this small but beautiful country is :D
    [​IMG]

I'll have some very good news for the european ( and everyone else) TB'ers :bassist: So stay tuned... :ninja:

16. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ah..so THAT'S what haggis smells like. :smug:

brad cook

17. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Ah yes, Luxembourg; cheap cigarettes, cheap gas and by the time you've located Luxembourg on the map you are already in France :D

One of the few countries that is smaller then Belgium, so no offence ;)

18. hehe... :D btw are you living in the french or dutch speaking part of belgium ?

19. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Dutch speaking part, Antwerp, Flanders.

Geography isn't your strongest point ey? :D

Mais ma Français n'est pas bonne, j'ai eu une professeur horible pour francais, ce qui a resulté dans un degout de francais et l'incapabilité de parler français :meh:

20. ooppss...well normally it is. You guys don't like french right ? :) It seems that if you're speaking german or english they're friendlier. Blankenberge is nice...